Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Grimleygrid said:

Cavalex Colas Class 56

56049-Colas-Livery-No1-End-(1).png.bfb29acf0551699c6aef15b50061a135.png

We are pleased to announce Colas 56049 “Robin of Templecombe” as a part of the Cavalex Class 56 range. With 56049 having alternate cabs following damage sustained to the number two end, we are really excited to be producing this present day locomotive. We wanted to provide an option for the modern image modeller to be able to purchase the Cavalex ‘Grid’ - a big thank you to Colas Rail for their help and for working with us to produce this model.

56049-Colas-Livery-No2-End-(1).png.0b885ddca3e7078c4a7645eb4d8bb3c8.png

Features of Cavalex Colas 56049:
- Rubber sealed cab front windows (Number 1 end)
- Partial bufferbeam cowling, side plates removed (Number 1 end)
- Steel cab side windows 
- Diamond mesh side grilles, cantrail grilles and roof grille
- Revised roof grilles (above electrical compartment)
- Distinctive fabricated cab shape (Number 2 end)
- Etched “Robin of Templecombe” name plates
- Alternate cab designs at each end with distinctive Colas high intensity headlight

CM---56049-Colas-Rail-livery.png.f8f1e9ed956437768ce0e442579e9848.png

Please click below for more details on the project, and how to pre-order:

https://www.cavalexmodels.com/cavalex-class-56

Cough... Trains rail Dutch cough...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Well that's one I will almost certainly have.

I expect the Hornby ones will be all over eBay soon!

...And they will sell too! A very popular loco, even the older Mainline one's have a decent level of detail for their age and run well. I have three of the older one's coverted to DCC and fitted with LED lighting and they still look the part.

I'm amazed really that no other manufacturers have entered this market until now given how popular they are. Iconic in my eyes. 

• RMweb Gold

Christmas has come early for me as I’ve just ordered the Colas one.  People are asking prices, delivery times and I think I’m probably not far off the mark in saying £165 - 180 for a standard DC version and probably about £100 more for a DCC/sound version, but you’d possibly have to factor in inflation of manufacturing and shipping costs.  I’d probably expect delivery in approximately 18 months going on other manufacturers lead times.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Cavalex Colas Class 56

What a fantastic looking (CAD) model! Stunning livery, and great to see Robin of Templecombe carry on in tribute. 

I owned a Hornby 56 in Colas for about a week until I decided something about it just did not look right - that and they got the Colas orange wrong… why they thought it was Red is beyond me! So an utter delight to be able to buy this! 

Hate to say it, but I now have a big “What could have been” thought in my head… the Cavalex 91! 

Given the price is not firmed up yet, what commitment does a pre order involve? i.e. if I order one and then the price is more than indicated then where do I stand?

This might be dealer specific I don't know.

P.S. I would rather the price was kept quiet until it is firm, but if I pre order without a firm price I want to be able to back out.

Edited by TomScrut

6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Given the price is not firmed up yet, what commitment does a pre order involve? i.e. if I order one and then the price is more than indicated then where do I stand?

P.S. I would rather the price was kept quiet until it is firm, but if I pre order without a firm price I want to be able to back out.

Hi Tom,

Totally understand where you are coming from. If this helps you can safely pre-order any Class 56 model you like from us at Rainbow Railways. We are asking for a £30 deposit when you order but if you decide you don’t like the final RRP or circumstances change we can refund this to you at any point. By pre-ordering in this way however will ensure you get the model you want as I’m sure once production is under way and quantities fixed there will be several models that will sell out given the positive reaction to this announcement. I’ve ordered the Colas one for myself too. 

Hope that helps and gives you total confidence to be able to order.

Many thanks

Mark

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

As with any of our pre orders, we understand that circumstances can change and that people change their minds.

we are confident that pricing will be in line with other manufacturers, but we don’t put our customers under any obligation and they are free to cancel if pricing or timescales are not as expected.

Edited by Trains4U
typo fix
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve already mentioned to Alex that I’m expecting the sound fitted version to sound like the world is ending in a cacophony of throbbing bass and screaming turbos… 

so no pressure!

(to answer your question, I believe an EM2 is specified for sound versions)

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

I’ve already mentioned to Alex that I’m expecting the sound fitted version to sound like the world is ending in a cacophony of throbbing bass and screaming turbos… 

so no pressure!

(to answer your question, I believe an EM2 is specified for sound versions)

Will it be possible to change my pre-order from DCC fitted to sound once pricing has been confirmed?

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered a 56008 from Trains4U and I am trying to decide which other one to order. Torn between another plain blue and 56120 in large logo. 

In the meantime, am I the only one hoping that following this announcement,@Grimleygridrenames himself Grimleygoyle?

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

008 will be replacing this, although it will be renumbered to 001 as well. Best put this up for sale!

image.png.eef5701afd3a526a55b331ece4cca488.png

Paul.

Nice but I'd wait until at least the decorated samples have arrived 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Legend said:

and you find out how much it is 

As I posted before, if you use the pricing that Accurascale are quoting for their DC and DCC models as a guide, I don’t think you’ll be far off the mark.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

As I posted before, if you use the pricing that Accurascale are quoting for their DC and DCC models as a guide, I don’t think you’ll be far off the mark.

The word is that the price will be competitive . To me that means anything from Accurascale Deltic £160  to Heljan 47 which I think is £230 .  So we simply don’t know 

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I wouldn’t mind one , but I think it’d be a minority interest.

Maybe, four "agrees" on RP82's post, which isn't of course market research by any stretch of the imagination. But it does at least indicate an interest just within this thread on this website.

Personally I'd break your hand off for one, not just for the fact I had 049 as railtour traction in Dutch BigT livery, but I think it marks a step-change in what manufacturers can offer wrt tooling swaps to replicate more complicated prototypes.

Bachmann should have been there with the suite of moulds they had for the Cl.47, mix and match according to what ever the desired locomotives carried, but they always seemed to miss the bullseye from what I gather.

Oxford hinted at all sorts of possible permutations with the Mk3 coach tooling (shame about the paint). 

I don't know how modern model manufacture works, but I never thought I'd see the day of different cabs on the same loco. That's for some future when we download to our own 3D printers!

C6T. 

19 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

008 will be replacing this, although it will be renumbered to 001 as well. Best put this up for sale!

image.png.eef5701afd3a526a55b331ece4cca488.png

Paul.

I'll gladly buy it if you decide to sell it. This was one loco I was after. Will be nice to have a Hornby and a Cavalex one.

12 hours ago, Legend said:

The word is that the price will be competitive . To me that means anything from Accurascale Deltic £160  to Heljan 47 which I think is £230 .  So we simply don’t know 

And for me, anywhere in that range is absolutely fine as long as it is to a standard worthy of the price. It's the regurgitated toolings from years ago at these sorts of prices that I have the issue with.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1