Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Legend said:

The word is that the price will be competitive . To me that means anything from Accurascale Deltic £160  to Heljan 47 which I think is £230 .  So we simply don’t know 

We have a reasonable idea from page 7.

From another forum.

With regards to price it’s still TBA, however it will be sub £200 and comparable to/in line with the current pricing from other manufacturers.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well ive ordered 4 of these beauties. If the CAD is anything to go by, then these locomotives should be the bees knees when they arrive. Looking at the specification, they look to be very thorough and i love the idea of the rotating fans. Many will see these as gimmicks but i have to disagree. As models evolve and the discerning modeller demands ever more realism, then i think manufacturers need to take note of what Cavalex is doing. Opening doors is another favorite and im sure that many will jump on the bandwagon and say they arent needed but again they form part of the real locomotive so why not the model form. Its all proven to work and within the constraints of the model, look really well too especially on some Bachmann and Hornby variants. 

Time will tell but Cavalex have potentially got a real winner here, the fans will definately add some dynamism and realism to the model.......Colas version just ordered as well. 

I look forward to seeing these sometime next year..............perhaps

I want opening doors, and once the loco's stationary, the driver puts his feet up on the dash - that's got to come surely?  !!

I love revolving fans, and SO FAR haven't had major running issues with them operational, so for my few locos with, insist they remain working.

Al.

If we're wishlisting gimmicks, how about DCC-controlled opening doors for DMUs? :) Simple sliding doors a' la Class 156 should be possible, although sliding plug or bus type doors would be a challenge.

Getting back to the Cavalex 56, I've also got 4 on preorder. Really looking forward to these - including the working fans! Should be better than my DIY effort which sounded like a chainsaw.

Edited by Pillar

We feel the rotating fans are a must as the models are viewed 99% of the time from a roof down perspective, as such an important feature we feel that their operation should be somewhat prototypical as well (on DCC at least) with them spinning up when the 'engine' is warm enough or working hard enough to require them. We have the schematics of the real cooling system so hopefully their operation can be duplicated in model form.

As for opening doors, we are not as convinced on their requirement and as such our model will not feature this. Rarely are doors left open on the real loco's especially if moving and this just over complicates the tooling and assembly whilst having an unnecessary join around the doors as well when closed. 

45 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Will 56046 in construction have its front grill on upside down? 

I don't think so. That's a pretty expensive tooling for one variant! :D

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Hornby put opening cab doors on their Class 50 and they look horribly thick when open. I think doing a scale thickness door is probably not viable, in which case I'd prefer not to see opening doors (or windows, etc).

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I’m not interested in “gimmicks” such as opening doors, operating fans as I just want my model to look and sound awesome, run well and pull a decent load.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Personally, I’m not interested in “gimmicks” such as opening doors, operating fans as I just want my model to look and sound awesome, run well and pull a decent load.

Although to compete with today’s modern models, this is needed to stand out. And if these 56s are priced on the higher end of the spectrum people will expect innovation and some may want the same features of the Hornby models that they are replacing. But I agree if they are detrimental, I.e rotating fans causing poor running etc (on Hornby models)and the opening doors not sitting right and spoiling the look, they shouldn’t be added. I hope there is adequate testing and that this grid is the ultimate one. 

Opening doors on locos are pointless 99.9% of the time, and not worth the trouble to make. Operating sliding doors on modern coaching stock  -that would be impressive, and probably difficult and expensive.   Operating fans, on the other hand, if done reliably and realistically would be a step forward and very desirable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I will be interested to see how fast (slow) these fans are going to spin. If they go too quick it will look like a disc (stroboscopic effect) thus making it pointless, not moaning just pointing out a fact.

Still no mention of independent lighting functionality which is much more important than rotating fans.

2 hours ago, Andy7 said:

I will be interested to see how fast (slow) these fans are going to spin. If they go too quick it will look like a disc (stroboscopic effect) thus making it pointless, not moaning just pointing out a fact.

Still no mention of independent lighting functionality which is much more important than rotating fans.

Hi Andy,

As Cav mentioned earlier, we have kindly been provided with the schematics of the real cooling system which will hopefully allow us to replicate the prototype fan operation on our model.

Regarding lighting on our Class 56, for DCC the model will have full independently controlled lighting. For DC operation, microswitches will be used.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

Is there any particular reason there's no Transrail liveries?  Seems a glaring omission.

Says he who wants a DCC ready/fitted one. :rolleyes:

Rob

Hi Rob,
A lot of time was spent choosing liveries for the first production run, this was a challenge in itself as I am sure you can appreciate. So many great liveries for a Class 56!
We have tried to cover the main liveries, but we were also conscious of not releasing too many versions at once. Transrail will be covered at some point in future runs, rest assured that it is very much in our plans. 

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

Hi Andy,

As Cav mentioned earlier, we have kindly been provided with the schematics of the real cooling system which will hopefully allow us to replicate the prototype fan operation on our model.

Regarding lighting on our Class 56, for DCC the model will have full independently controlled lighting. For DC operation, microswitches will be used.

Hope that helps.

Excellent, thank you. I see the Colas one joining my fleet.

23 hours ago, RBE said:

We feel the rotating fans are a must as the models are viewed 99% of the time from a roof down perspective, as such an important feature we feel that their operation should be somewhat prototypical as well (on DCC at least) with them spinning up when the 'engine' is warm enough or working hard enough to require them. We have the schematics of the real cooling system so hopefully their operation can be duplicated in model form.

As for opening doors, we are not as convinced on their requirement and as such our model will not feature this. Rarely are doors left open on the real loco's especially if moving and this just over complicates the tooling and assembly whilst having an unnecessary join around the doors as well when closed. 

I don't think so. That's a pretty expensive tooling for one variant! :D

Good ..... I want to renumber it  so that helps 

On 05/07/2021 at 10:16, Pillar said:

If we're wishlisting gimmicks, how about DCC-controlled opening doors for DMUs? :) Simple sliding doors a' la Class 156 should be possible, although sliding plug or bus type doors would be a challenge.

Even sliding doors are a problem - the body thickness / door thickness doesn't scale so would look bad.

11 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Here’s an image of motor driven fan mechanism i an HO scale model on the Canadian market. 

I would point out that Aurora Miniatures have yet to deliver anything outside of China, the model in question being their first Western model, so the verdict on their fan mechanism is yet to be determined.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2021 at 09:04, ColinK said:

Does anyone know when each of the locos to be made was actually in service in the liveries modelled?

I’ve been busy researching this, I already had a book on liveries, but had to buy a copy of ‘Diesel & Electric Loco Register’.  What I would really like is one of the earliest locos to be released in large logo livery and which wasn’t withdrawn too early. Which really means 56084, 56086 or 56087.  In terms of the Cavalex models that means Doncaster built to BR design batch 56056 to 56090. However Cavalex are not currently offering one of this batch in Large Logo livery.  So that gives me two choices, buy one in the wrong livery and repaint it (56070 in blue should be easiest) or wait and see what is announced in future.

Curiosity and cats ....

I've pre-ordered one of these - the specification looks superb.

I love the spinning fans idea as well.

I'm a TOPS B.R. Blue fan so that's what I've gone with.

I had also pre-ordered a B.R. Blue Hornby re-issue, due Christmas, but probably delayed. Hopefully I can get the fans going - love that on my EWS one and definitely one of the best-running locomotives I have - smooth, quiet, very powerful, and huge speed range.

Cavalex have a hard act to follow, at least in the running stakes.

Al.

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Not next week?

Oh no! Thats disappointing, i had booked next wednesday afternoon off work to weather mine!

Obviously not so "significantly advanced"  after all. 

My APT better turn up on Thursday or else I will be very cross indeed!

• Funny 2