Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

16 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Went to a nice small little show in Briston, Norfolk, it was the Scalefour Area Group open day and surprised to see Cavalex there.  Had a really good chat with Alex and his son about the Class 56, as well as discussing the 3-D printed model they had on display.

As pointed out that it was a 3-D version, the factory had exactly the same drawings and printed it off as per.  Even though it’s rough and ready, I was amazed by the amount of detail and even discussed the possibility of it going around 2nd degree curves.  They even had 3 different versions of the cab on display.

It was a very impressive model and I look forward to getting my pair of DCR (2 x 56091) one’s and maybe a Colas one.

A9F02B47-E295-4E02-B4D3-79186E4F860E.jpeg

86BCB14B-6F5E-4817-B2DC-B128FCE15413.jpeg

B999ED29-EA60-440B-8B53-82FFDA00E9C2.jpeg

675E52DC-6854-481E-BCF7-B08877841F7D.jpeg

B7264759-B9FE-4AD3-B4AF-5CCCEF7F6FA9.jpeg

48AA9B29-7258-4EAB-82BF-BE56B92826A3.jpeg

Thanks for posting the photos Jules!

5FE1B042-3B5C-4BFF-AAF4-96453BA62CC9.jpeg.07d5fcb6bc2c963041923e5664d03376.jpeg

A big thanks to Tim Horn and the Scalefour society for a great day out at the Norfolk mini exhibition. We also wanted to thank Jeremy Good for allowing us to take a photo of our 3D printed class 56 on Wheal Elizabeth on it’s public debut. 

We will also be attending the Great Electric Train show in Milton Keynes next weekend - if you’re attending please come and say hello and have a look at the 3D print of the grid!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 18

On 01/10/2021 at 12:49, Ian J. said:

I think you may have out-performed Bachmann with the cab front footsteps. Those on their new 47 don't look as good.

Much better than the wierd u shaped platforms that Bachmann insist on putting on their 47

NL

• Like 1

Thanks for showing up and having a look at what we do. It's been too long since we have been able to mingle in person. Faceless social media is very impersonal. Back to 56's we are very pleased with how the model turned out and its great to be able to get a 3D print in your hand and appreciate the design design from any angle in the scale that the model will be. It's not always easy to appreciate the model on a pc monitor.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by for a chat over the weekend to discuss various projects. We also managed to pose the 3D printed grid onto Oak Road - a big thanks to @scoobyra for letting us do this!

F02F6644-C958-447C-B6FA-8C2BD38CB837.jpeg.0b1df172d94fa6ee9631864f6a55afd2.jpeg

2C938DD0-656F-4714-80D7-D195903206D6.jpeg.d9c2dfa5c03499fcd15422e24759d69c.jpeg

It looked right at home in the yard on Oak Road! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

When I spoke to Will on Sunday, he told me that Rainbow Railways are planning to do a additional decal pack for the DCR 56091 so you can renumber it to 56103, as well as the four DCR crests behind the cab doors.  I think I'd be confident in saying that the decals will only available with DCR Class 56's ordered from Rainbow Railways.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

When I spoke to Will on Sunday, he told me that Rainbow Railways are planning to do a additional decal pack for the DCR 56091 so you can renumber it to 56103, as well as the four DCR crests behind the cab doors.  I think I'd be confident in saying that the decals will only available with DCR Class 56's ordered from Rainbow Railways.

Hi Jools,

We have indeed talked about doing 56103, certainly seems a popular option from the comments on here alone. When Alex first told me about the DCR version we knew this would be popular given how quickly the DCR class 60 repaints sold. I’ve ordered 56091 for myself as it worked up to Carlisle and from Flickr searches often find it paired up with 56103. 

We will probably look to do 56103 as a fully finished version where we will print the logos/ side details directly onto the body shells with only the cab front numbers done by decal as this gives as close to factory finish as we can achieve. We would have decals available as these can be produced from the artwork created. Once we have this in place we will put options on the website.

thanks

Mark

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/09/2021 at 18:59, jools1959 said:

Went to a nice small little show in Briston, Norfolk, it was the Scalefour Area Group open day and surprised to see Cavalex there.  Had a really good chat with Alex and his son about the Class 56, as well as discussing the 3-D printed model they had on display.

As pointed out that it was a 3-D version, the factory had exactly the same drawings and printed it off as per.  Even though it’s rough and ready, I was amazed by the amount of detail and even discussed the possibility of it going around 2nd degree curves.  They even had 3 different versions of the cab on display.

It was a very impressive model and I look forward to getting my pair of DCR (2 x 56091) one’s and maybe a Colas one.

A9F02B47-E295-4E02-B4D3-79186E4F860E.jpeg

86BCB14B-6F5E-4817-B2DC-B128FCE15413.jpeg

B999ED29-EA60-440B-8B53-82FFDA00E9C2.jpeg

675E52DC-6854-481E-BCF7-B08877841F7D.jpeg

B7264759-B9FE-4AD3-B4AF-5CCCEF7F6FA9.jpeg

48AA9B29-7258-4EAB-82BF-BE56B92826A3.jpeg

If cavex needs some spare cash....print a hundred off in 3mm sell like hot 56s!....I would buy too many at that quality...the cabs are superb! 

G

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

If cavex needs some spare cash....print a hundred off in 3mm sell like hot 56s!....I would buy too many at that quality...the cabs are superb! 

G

Get your hands in your short pockets and buy a 4mm one as guest use on a layout.

• Funny 3

37 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Get your hands in your short pockets and buy a 4mm one as guest use on a layout.

Narrr rather drop/crash/abuse yours!....oops that sounds so wrong?...

I got a Hornby rocket and 3rd class coaches...and you would not let me run it!...somthing about wrong time frame! And the bridge at Belper end wil take off the top off the chimney  on rocket....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rest assured the 56 is progressing well, we are working closely with the factory at this point getting everything on the tooling just how we want it with minimal compromises. 

As soon as we have something new to show you guys we will. We are really excited about this project and are doing everything possible at the moment to make it the most accurate 4mm diesel locomotive available.

• Like 12

A few of us were privileged enough to view the 3D prints last week.

What can I say.... they look stunning!

The attention to detail is remarkable with all variants and sub-variants covered. The bogie and under frame detail is superb and it's great to see all of the cab variants properly modelled.

Looking forward to doing a signature loco for my layout: 56001 Whatley (as well as many others).

Guy

Edited by lyneux

Not my chosen scale..but going to have to get a Romania one as 004 in blue as it was our regular training engine when I was doing my basic driver training in 1990 at garston...powers that be decided that 47s on  the way out and didn't need any vaccume brake training so a 'new 56 training schedule was hastily put together for the 12 of us on the course, it was to be developed as new standard training..it was first and last on our section of LM region! When we passed out we all done conversion to other traction including 47s! 2 weeks vacuum brake training and two more lose coupled training! Great planning! As most ballast jobs at garston where 75% vac or class 9!

I done many return trips from garston to crewe and back (on 004 with a rake of 32 hea empty hoppers)with my instructor from Ellesmere port depot the one and only Don Buckley, absolutely a true gentleman and he always brought kit kats for the trip to crewe for the en route brew! He always had a tail to tell...but it was always linked to the training subject...clever! Never a boring trip...

Does any one have a photo of the 'garston to crewe training trips' 90 to 91?

Why didn't I take pictures...but then again mobile phones came with a 2kg battery pack on a curly wire!

Looking forward to the model

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Not my chosen scale..but going to have to get a Romania one as 004 in blue as it was our regular training engine when I was doing my basic driver training in 1990 at garston...

You trained as a driver? 

I'd never noticed those skills when operating layouts..........................

• Funny 2