Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

So how come every other company that sells product manages to set a price from the get go? Just strikes me as exceptionally odd business practise.

May be 'other' manufacturers can absorb a bit of fluctuation (coz there bigger) and sell at less than / nearer development costs at a bit of a loss leader....sell a loco for several wagons to tow!

Who knows ?....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

So how come every other company that sells product manages to set a price from the get go? Just strikes me as exceptionally odd business practise.

That is far from true, several models have been announced without prices, including those by Heljan, Rapido, Model Rail…

What would you prefer, an early price plucked out of thin air or a realistic price based on a higher degree of certainty?

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, faa77 said:

Forgive the blunt question but what are the tooling/motor differences between this and the current offering?

You have two options to answer your own question.....

Option 1:- start at page 1, post No 1 and read up to your post.

Option 2:- start at your post scroll backwards reading each post until reaching page 1, post No1.

Different options but I'm sure it will be a revelation...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

You have two options to answer your own question.....

Option 1:- start at page 1, post No 1 and read up to your post.

Option 2:- start at your post scroll backwards reading each post until reaching page 1, post No1.

Different options but I'm sure it will be a revelation...

Option 3: Ask Hornby what are the differences between the current and new version?

C6T. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Where are you "currently" getting hold of Cavalex CL. 56s!?

C6T. 

And it really never crossed your mind I may be referring to Hornby's "current offering"?

You seriously couldn't join that dot?

Edited by faa77

10 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The fact you didn't even clarify your own question? No, I'm a f**king idiot. Be more careful next time to save me from my own ignorance.

How's that HO/OO Eurostar coming on champ?

C6T. 

Steady on chaps....friendly banter only....save the other sort for playground!

I lost my temper in little school first year....was getting picked on lost my temper kicked the ringleader more than once....head teacher saw me got my shoes confiscated for a week....never lost my temper again!

At least where a teacher could see me!...Andy will be watching! ..Sorry Mr York!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The fact you didn't even clarify your own question? No, I'm a f**king idiot. Be more careful next time to save me from my own ignorance.

How's that HO/OO Eurostar coming on champ?

C6T. 

Cavalex have not released a 56 (yet). The Hornby 56 has been the standard for years.

And you required clarification?

10 minutes ago, faa77 said:

Cavalex have not released a 56 (yet). The Hornby 56 has been the standard for years.

And you required clarification?

Cough.

Having had my knuckles rapped (justifiably Mr. York, tugs fetlock etc.)

I apologise for my earlier terse retorts.

You may now continue in you poorly worded queries.

C6T. Keep the Faith! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hello everyone,

Must be nearly Christmas with all the festive banter on here!

Anyway back to the Cavalex 56, I was extremely lucky to have a visit from Alex up here in Linlithgow when he brought our BBA’s and BLA’s for Rainbow Railways. He very kindly brought the stock box with samples of the HAA, TEA’s and Bardon Hoppers and the very impressive 3D print of the 56. We’ve seen the excellent renders from CAV and the photos of the prints on here but until you see it in the flesh you really can’t appreciate the level and depth of detail that is being incorporated. As a modeller I am certainly looking forward to seeing the progress and the tooled samples next year. The 3D prints show the attention to detail across all cab styles. The cab interior is very fine, the drivers seats with arm rests look great. The under frame detail around the tanks is all there and the bogies even as a print show the depth, level of detail that has been added and this adds to the weighty appearance of the real thing. 

These are going to be seriously impressive models and I’m looking forward to adding them to my fleet.

And despite the Friday club telling me to keep hold of it, Alex made sure all goodies were safely packed and taken home.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hello everyone,

Must be nearly Christmas with all the festive banter on here!

Anyway back to the Cavalex 56, I was extremely lucky to have a visit from Alex up here in Linlithgow when he brought our BBA’s and BLA’s for Rainbow Railways. He very kindly brought the stock box with samples of the HAA, TEA’s and Bardon Hoppers and the very impressive 3D print of the 56. We’ve seen the excellent renders from CAV and the photos of the prints on here but until you see it in the flesh you really can’t appreciate the level and depth of detail that is being incorporated. As a modeller I am certainly looking forward to seeing the progress and the tooled samples next year. The 3D prints show the attention to detail across all cab styles. The cab interior is very fine, the drivers seats with arm rests look great. The under frame detail around the tanks is all there and the bogies even as a print show the depth, level of detail that has been added and this adds to the weighty appearance of the real thing. 

These are going to be seriously impressive models and I’m looking forward to adding them to my fleet.

And despite the Friday club telling me to keep hold of it, Alex made sure all goodies were safely packed and taken home.

Cheers

Mark

But the key question is:

What's different to the current offering?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Like the difference between a cheap corner shop vodka and a bottle of grey goose........ both get ya hammered but the ride is different 

The trouble is…. I think Grey Goose is overpriced and overrated …. Prefer Polish vodka myself ;)

Griff

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Other over priced beverages are available....just used the name that most drunks would assimilate to!

That would be maths :)

…. The metaphor was more about it being worth it….  If you want it and like it then it’s value for money.

Griff

• Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting to read the comments on here. I have five of these new 56's on pre-order. Im not really bothered when they arrive (as all manufacturers are in this boat, SLW have just announced their class 25 and 24 will be 'well into 2022' before they arrive). in regard to cost, no manufacturer is going to fully commit to a final price until they know what the actual production cost is and the mark up for sale. They have to make a profit to be able to continue to deliver high fidelity models and to that end we just need to wait patiently and im sure that as soon as Cavalex have the details, they will share them with us. Cut them some slack folks and let them get on with bringing to market the definitive 56 which will be a FAR better offering than Hornby,

Happy Christmas

Edited by Krieghoff
spelling alteration
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2021 at 00:19, newbryford said:

But the key question is:

What's different to the current offering?

Hopefully....

Better DCC interface......but TBF people say the 8 pin is outdated which is correct...but the Hornby model doesn't need any more than an 8 pin....it doesn't have cab lights...so for the application an 8 pin decoder suffices perfectly well... you might want independent control of the markers and headlights i suppose...but they never (well shouldn't have) ran in service with one of them not illuminated..

Better lighting connectivity 

Something that can actually haul a train without having to resort to modifying the couplings...

A slightly better livery schedule...

cabs aside...which for me yeah ok they could have done with a slightly better setup on the horn grills for me there isn’t t really a lot wrong with the Hornby model....it boils down to me if cavalex release a livery that Hornby nby haven’t  then ill buy one....but im not going to rush to replace my fleet of Hornby SD ones in favour of the cavalex one...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, pheaton said:

Better DCC interface......but TBF people say the 8 pin is outdated which is correct...but the Hornby model doesn't need any more than an 8 pin....it doesn't have cab lights...so for the application an 8 pin decoder suffices perfectly well... you might want independent control of the markers and headlights i suppose...but they never (well shouldn't have) ran in service with one of them not illuminated..

That's the main issue with the 8 pin. You cannot control the ends independently.