Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

wnxx.com  It's a pay site but at £10 per year, it's not going to kill you but the amount of people I hear bellyaching about it, I just say to them "get a life".

Ta. Subscription duly bought with Paypal. I can see why the owner is charging, however I can also see why there might be bellyaching. I haven't had need of such info until now, so it's not like I'm going to use the site all that often. I doubt it'll be a subscription that I'll renew, but I'll wait and see on that front.

48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Use Wikipedia, it lists what is left.

so inversely, whats not left was scrapped.

Yes indeed anything not listed is not active. However you missed my need for dates of scrapping for which a comprehensive list is needed.

Edit: So, looking at the disposals and cutting up dates, of the three I had my eye on (56008 or 56070, 56120 and 56077) it looks like the non-Red Stripe Railfreight 56077 is the only one which is a candidate for later 69 conversion. I wonder how easy it would be to renumber a Cavalex paint finish...?

Edited by Ian J.

7 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I've looked high and low on t'internet, and can't find a list of class 56s that shows when each one that was scrapped was scrapped. Has anyone here got an idea where I can find that info? I'm looking for two or three suitable candidates for fictional preservation that appeared in BR Standard Blue, BR Revised Standard, and Original Railfreight (not red stripe) when in revenue service c1986, and that haven't survived up to today such that they could be now or in the future candidates for class 69 conversions.

Quite a lot of information https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=45&type=D&page=fleet

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/06/2021 at 08:54, Grimleygrid said:

Hi JSpencer, could I please ask what is your preferred modelling period? Depending on when you are modelling could potentially affect where certain locos were allocated.

Hi, I mainly model the south east England. Blue, RF grey and sometimes sector. But never privatization.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2021 at 15:39, The Ghost of IKB said:

Personally i dont like announcements without a price. 

Theres four of the first batch id like, but im not going to commit to any until i know how many i can afford.

From another forum.

With regards to price it’s still TBA, however it will be sub £200 and comparable to/in line with the current pricing from other manufacturers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Without wishing to sound negative, I assume the Cavalex class 56 will offer the variants that the Hornby class 56 doesn't ?  I just have memories of the "clashes of interest" previous manufacturers have had with the likes of class 71, Q6, Adams Radial, class 91, class 92 APT etc etc.

Genuinely wish Cavalex well with this project and hope the project is a huge success.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Covkid said:

Without wishing to sound negative, I assume the Cavalex class 56 will offer the variants that the Hornby class 56 doesn't ?  I just have memories of the "clashes of interest" previous manufacturers have had with the likes of class 71, Q6, Adams Radial, class 91, class 92 APT etc etc.

Genuinely wish Cavalex well with this project and hope the project is a huge success.  

According to the press release at the start of this topic:

"We have deliberately chosen prototypes that don’t conflict with existing models of the class, whilst also releasing liveries never seen in 4mm scale."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 days in and this has proven to be one of the most popular preorders in such a short time that I’ve ever experienced.

I expect we will sell out of some versions before release 

You can find the link to our order form on our homepage.  No deposit required and no obligation!

• Like 8

Should Cavalex decide to do a Colas version, I'll be up for two as I've just found a video on t'intertubes of two on duty doing a Kronospan run through the prototype line of my proposed model - expensive stuff this, modelling a real location!

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Due to the later than planned delivery date of Accurascale's Class 37's, which is no fault of theirs, I planned to buy two more 37's but when Cavelex dropped this welcome bombshell, my credit card sighed a huge relief.  I'm going to wait awhile, see what the definitive list will be and if Cavelex add a Colas or DCR (56091 or 56103) versions to the list, then I'll order one, possibly two, if not, the 37's might be back on.

2 hours ago, rubber duck said:

I hope the sound is full on, the sound files i've heard so far for the 56 are rather lacking in the Bass throb of these superb machines when working hard under load,  difficult to record in preservation etc...

fingers crossed...

...and both Napier and Brown-Boveri turbo' fitted files perchance..? (Wishful thinking perhaps!)

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Trains4U said:

……… No deposit required and no obligation!

I was umming & arring over placing an order but like others was going to wait for a price announcement. That’s given my decision making a shove in the right direction!

Pre-order for BR Blue 56070 made. Intend to renumber to 56060.
Back in 84 as a young teenager, I was lucky enough not only to cab 060 but courtesy of the friendly driver I got to drive it a short distance on Toton Depot! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Trains4U said:

3 days in and this has proven to be one of the most popular preorders in such a short time that I’ve ever experienced.

I expect we will sell out of some versions before release 

You can find the link to our order form on our homepage.  No deposit required and no obligation!

I was about to place a pre-order, however I realised just how much info I'd end up sharing with Google and stopped abruptly. Sorry, but I just can't bear to share exact address and phone number details with them.

18 minutes ago, Banger Blue said:

I was umming & arring over placing an order but like others was going to wait for a price announcement. That’s given my decision making a shove in the right direction!

I much prefer to take orders on trust. I trust that most people who place pre orders with us will honour their commitment.  It has worked well so far.

Trust in the supplier can be a tricky thing for customers, especially given the issues with crowdfunding deposits lost in the recent past, and I don’t think it is morally right to be taking deposits up front, but that  is a personal decision.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I was about to place a pre-order, however I realised just how much info I'd end up sharing with Google and stopped abruptly. Sorry, but I just can't bear to share exact address and phone number details with them.

Google forms are fully encrypted and only me and my staff have access to them.

If you prefer, email us or call us with your order and we can record it separately.

Thanks

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

Google forms are fully encrypted and only me and my staff have access to them.

If you prefer, email us or call us with your order and we can record it separately.

Thanks

Ta. Email sent.

• Thanks 1

Ive just placed my Pre-order for three Cavalex class 56's. Railfreight red stripe, Kellingly Colliery and large Logo Tinsley livery.

Looking very much indeed to seeing these models and refreshing to see a company actually producing a model with working fans powered by a separate Dcc/DC motor. Very very good indeed. The tech is there.............why not use it !

22 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Hi, I mainly model the south east England. Blue, RF grey and sometimes sector. But never privatization.

Hi JSpencer, may I suggest looking on eBay or other such sites for old copies of Platform5's Motive Power Pocket Books. These are perfect for loco allocations and also Railfreight Sector pools.

This would be very helpful for choosing locos that would be suitable for your area of interest.

Hope that helps.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Tempfix
52 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

Class 56 cab contrasts at Toton, 1988

That's a fantastic comparison, thanks for sharing. It does beg the question how many of the changes were seen as 'refinements'. For all the complaints about the Romanian built ones, looking at 020 above

- it has recessed marker lights - 069 just has them flat on the front

- it has the cab roof shaped to match the angle of the top of the windscreens - 069 just has a curve that's close-ish

- it has the cab door handrails shaped and recessed - 069 just has bar welded on the flat side

I'm assume all these changes were in the light of experience and made them easier to maintain, clean or whatever - but in terms of the metalwork skill involved, is it just me or is there an element of 'slapdash' about the refinements?

Don't get me wrong, they're both handsome beasts and I shall definitely have at least one.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Can't spell.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

I thought I would share a link to a very nice photo on Flickr showing two different cab styles of the Class 56, 56069 and 56020:

Class 56 cab contrasts at Toton, 1988

Even includes that experimental version of the RETB antennas fitted to a select few 56’s for use on freight only lines, next to a standard aerial on the other.

Following successful roll out in Scotland, but with England being denser populated, and greater competing radio signals, a different antenna was tested which was much more visible, but the decision wasnt continued.

:D

Or is it just a lighting tower

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

5 hours ago, rubber duck said:

I hope the sound is full on, the sound files i've heard so far for the 56 are rather lacking in the Bass throb of these superb machines when working hard under load,  difficult to record in preservation etc...

fingers crossed...

I've got a Legomanbiffo v4 and dual speaker set up that sounds lovely but an EM2 would just make that sound file brilliant! I believe I have a double iPhone and bass reflex wired up together, to give bass and scream!

• Like 1