Modelling BR Engineers' Wagons Part 2: Modernising the Fleet

Simon Bendall

With Andy's kind permission, a plug for my latest bookazine and the one that quite a few wanted, part 2 of Modelling BR Engineers' Wagons. About half of this covers the Civil Engineers air-braked types of the 1980s and early 1990s, so everything from Hake and Halibut to Sea Urchin and Limpet. The remainder of the 116 pages then look at Civil Engineers cranes and track relayers along with modelling a few examples before progressing to the stock of other engineering departments. This is mostly focused on the Signal & Telegraph engineers, beginning with its vacuum-braked and unfitted designs before progressing to the colourful periods of Satlink, Project Mercury and BR Telecomms. Finally, the Rail Stores vehicles operated by the Mechanical & Electrical Engineers are covered.

There's a variety of modelling projects throughout, mostly in 4mm,  with contributors including Terry Bendall, Mike Cubberley, Tim Easter, Steve Farmer, Mark Lambert,  Hywel Thomas, Paul Wade and Carl White. On the prototype side, Trevor Mann and David Ratcliffe have again authored detailed articles and provided many previously unpublished photos.

The special can be pre-ordered now from the Key shop and should come into stock next Friday. It should then appear in the shops from the following week, although exactly when depends on how quickly it gets distributed.  It will also be available from Hattons and again can be pre-ordered now.

Some sample pages below:

Cover.jpg

Pike.jpg

Cranes.jpg

TRM.jpg

S&T.jpg

Satlink.jpg

Mercury.jpg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

This series of bookazines is proving an invaluable reference source for modellers of the BR era.  Descriptions and attention to detail is fantastic, as are the photographs.  Printed on quality paper to keep on the bookshelf for years to come.

I have now ordered this latest one, and am really looking forward to it - keep up the good work!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Received my “Part 2” in the post this morning and have has a quick skim through.   Equally if not more excellent to Part 1.  

Reading this one one would have thought that BR’s Engineers would have run out of species of fish with which to name their wagons.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 2

Just like I did with the other publications in this series, I have spent ages poring over the images and articles.

Each of these bookazines has provided me with more modelling data than a year's worth of any of the regular mags.

Looking forward to whatever comes next in the series.

steve

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2021 at 14:34, Darius43 said:

Received my “Part 2” in the post this morning and have has a quick skim through.   Equally if not more excellent to Part 1.  

Reading this one one would have thought that BR’s Engineers would have run out of species of fish with which to name their wagons.

Cheers

Darius

They did, hence the use of marine birds  ( heron, osprey etc) and mammals (Whale, grampus)

• Informative/Useful 1

For those awaiting its arrival in the shops, this should now be happening as it was in my local Smiths this morning.

As the Project Mercury section has gone down well, here's a photo that didn't make it in - 31519 passing Warrington in 1991 with a cable laying train. This features one of the Mk.1 staff and generator coaches along with five converted Bogie Bolster C. Three of these are in Mercury blue without safety canopies and two are in olive green with canopies.

31519 Warrington 91.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just reached the Limpet section and am very much enjoying it.

The only thing that I'd asked to be considered for future magazines is to include more actual/typical train formations. The Modellers Guide To... articles that featured in Rail Express did this very well and have been invaluable to my modelling.

Steven B.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to echo other comments, another excellent publication, full of prototypical information as well as modelling examples and details. I have all 3 so far and look forward to more.

Edited by BR Blue
Spelling
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...