Modelling tools - best online source for value?

• RMweb Gold

I have a requirement to duplicate some of my modelling tools, as I now split my scratchbuilding between the mancave and the shed.  I would normally go to a show and restock; however, that isnt possible at the moment; so, who is the go-to online supplier, for value and service, of items such as metal set squares, scalpel blades, hand drills and calipers etc?

cheers,
Mike

12 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

I have a requirement to duplicate some of my modelling tools, as I now split my scratchbuilding between the mancave and the shed.  I would normally go to a show and restock; however, that isnt possible at the moment; so, who is the go-to online supplier, for value and service, of items such as metal set squares, scalpel blades, hand drills and calipers etc?

cheers,
Mike

Squires are your best bet for a wide range of decent quality tools

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mondersson. 

Another question, I have seen people using rectangular metal straight edges, I think thats how to describe them, which look like the handle of a set square without the thin blade part. 

metal_set_square.jpg.690edbb1bd705d28d12d34deccb8237a.jpg

Anyone know what they are actually called and where to get them?

Mike

• RMweb Premium

For scalpel blades I tend to use Amazon and purchase them by the hundred. Free next day delivery and generally the cheapest around.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks Mondersson. 

Another question, I have seen people using rectangular metal straight edges, I think thats how to describe them, which look like the handle of a set square without the thin blade part. 

metal_set_square.jpg.690edbb1bd705d28d12d34deccb8237a.jpg

Anyone know what they are actually called and where to get them?

Mike

I've always called them engineers blocks or engineers parallels. 

You can get things called 123 blocks which are useful to. Depends what you are going to do with them.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian,  

At the moment I am using my set squares as weights to hold rails down and in position after glueing.  The problem is that I also need the set squares for something else at the same time.  This is a non-running scratchbuild diorama in N Gauge/2mm

bns_38_crossover.jpg.4b51a197d98e68e98294789aecc3c693.jpg

cheers,
Mike

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2021 at 19:47, Royal42 said:

Thanks Ian,  

At the moment I am using my set squares as weights to hold rails down and in position after glueing.  The problem is that I also need the set squares for something else at the same time.  This is a non-running scratchbuild diorama in N Gauge/2mm

bns_38_crossover.jpg.4b51a197d98e68e98294789aecc3c693.jpg

cheers,
Mike

I use steel sqaure bars. I have 25mm, 50mm and 75mm square blocks of differing lengths. Useful to weigh things down and use as a solid square for building kits etc. No good to solder against though as they suck the heat out from the iron!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bright-Mild-Steel-Square-Bar-EN3B-Various-Sizes-50mm-to-1000mm-long-080A15-/301967853619?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by ianLMS

A good source for drills, files, rules and squares etc www.arceurotrade.co.uk  sensible prices and often next day delivery.

A further good source is https://www.kennions.co.uk/ , BA taps and Dies, BA screws and nuts and also a good selection of brass sq and round bar. Usually next day delivery.

Edited by micknich2003
Added.