Unit's hired in by East Midlands Trains

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

East Midlands Railway recently hired in a Scotrail Class 156 and I was wondering if it's predecessor, East Midlands Trains ever did the same?  I know Rule 1 could certainly apply but I keep looking at a Bachmann Arriva Trains Wales Class 150 in my local model shop which has been collecting dust for awhile, seriously tempted.  I've also put my name down for a second run of a Realtrack Class 156 in Scotrail Saltaire livery.

I was just wondering if EMT have ever hired in units at short notice before.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
Just now, pete_mcfarlane said:

Weren't there some Northern livery class 158s at some point - possibly debranded. (Or was that during Central Train's days?)

They had some de branded Northern Class 156’s when Central Trains got split up and some of it was reformed in East Midlands Trains. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Once the initial fleet had been formed at the start of the franchise, the only proper DMU hire ins I can recall were the SWT 158s.

There were a few LHCS hire ins at various times - notably DRS tractors on Derby-Crewe (for one Sunday only!), and WCRC 47s/GBRf 66s on Skegness relief services.

in terms of fleet expansion there were 4 x Angel Trains Northern 156s added to the fleet which ran for a short while in re-branded Northern livery. There were also 4 x 153s from GWR plus the ex-GC HST sets added right at the end of the franchise although I think they were all re-liveried before entering traffic. The Anglia 156s arrived in EMR days but some of those ran in unbranded white.

Mike

• Like 1

Regards the ex Anglia 156s they all  arrived in unbranded filth livery, some with random patches of Central Trains green showing where the Anglia vinyls had been scraped off!

Still like it now in some cases, even with the EMR vinyls applied.

This is one of the better ones!

IMG_20200120_124922723.jpg.026e2c3f69fa5ba3f2bfe213f5096002.jpg

We were discussing the state of the ex-Anglia 156 when this photo was taken - even the inherited EMT ones appear to be in a rather worse state than the 158s.

Newark Castle to Crewe 1/6/2021 passing Hatton at 1402.

IMG_2909.JPG.9ce505dee63caee6a7cb4d20b120e5a2.JPG

Edited by Bill Radford
Reup

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

EMR are now subleasing 170s from TfW whilst TfW have leased ex-EMT 153s on short deals (in fact 153s seem to have moved randomly between TOCs on frequent basis).

I thought in the great Class 170 shuffle, the ex GA units went to TfW, some of the West Midlands Railway centre car's on their 3 car 170's went to XC to strengthen some of their 2 car 170's, the rest of WMR 170's being palmed off on someone else (I think EMR to replace 156's and 158's),  Scotrail 170's were going to Northern and EMR but in all honesty, who knows what's going on?

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I thought in the great Class 170 shuffle, the ex GA units went to TfW, some of the West Midlands Railway centre car's on their 3 car 170's went to XC to strengthen some of their 2 car 170's, the rest of WMR 170's being palmed off on someone else (I think EMR to replace 156's and 158's),  Scotrail 170's were going to Northern and EMR but in all honesty, who knows what's going on?

EMR were to get ex-Scotrail, Ex-WMT 2cars and ex-Southern 170/171s. XC got the ex-WMT centre cars.

TfW did get the ex-Anglia 170s but it appears a rethink will see them released and sub-leased to EMR. TfW getting more mk4s and have bought some 153s to keep on the HoW line.

The Southern 171s cannot be released until a replacement is in service. As yet no credible replacement has been identified publicly.

• Like 1