Modifying Brian Kirby's Bachmann mod for Modding Hornby 's metal T/L coupling tails

Not sure if there is a dedicated thread on the BK mod, could not find one so thought I would share my mod to the BK mod for the Hornby tails.  So this wet Thursday just gone, I decided at last to do the BK mod to all my coach rake ends only, and a few wagon ends.  The magnets I chose were 1.5x30x15 fridge type, and only £3.95 pack 54 from Ebay.,  which I trimmed to 12mm and just stuck on top of sleepers then weathered.

What to do about the Hornby ones which are attracted to the magnet so they will not raise?  Bit of thought and trimmed a small piece of mag strip and glued width ways on end of staple (pic 1) and hey presto they now work cos of the extra magnet giving more oomph and overcoming the tail wanting to pull down.  Photo's 2 & 3 lowered and raised, photo 4 I added a small strip lengthways to staple (highlighted) to a Baccy as trying to adjust the staple end angle bending to work was mind numbing.  Photo 5 showing magnet on curve at platform.

Well, what a difference the BK mod makes, no more some locos getting stuck on uncoupling ramps when crawling and the mag strips can also now be put on platform curves.

Apologies if this has been done before, and also the pic quality which were taken on phone and not my proper camera.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Guest
added photo

Adding the small section of magnetic material to the dropper, is a good idea, although rather tricky to mount, i'd imagine? You can wrap tiny offcuts of tissue paper (loo roll/kitchen roll) around the joints, then soak in superglue to reinforce. When dry, paint matt black to be less conspicuous. I preferred using Bachmann coupling hooks, being non-ferrous, they could never be magnetized. 

Hornby hooks are steel, so I always thought there could be the danger, of the Hornby hooks becoming magnetic, then the two hooks might stick together? Other people haven't reported this as a problem, so perhaps my concerns, have been proved wrong?

It must be over ten years now, since I first described this uncoupling system, maybe it's time I 

wrote an updated account, in the light of experience? I'd have to do new photos too, the originals got lost, when photobucket withdrew their free hosting!

I moved house nearly three years ago, all my railway equipment ended up in removal boxes. 

Nothing was lost, the removal firm were excellent, but even now I have trouble locating things. I'm building a new layout, which will incorporate the under-track magnets, permanent type in sidings, maybe electro-magnetic on running lines, to eliminate any mishaps, I could do a write-up as I progress?

I used to use my own name on RMweb, but a few years back RMweb re-invented itself, I found it impossible to log back on, so I re-registered with the new name/avatar "Kirby Uncoupler"

Cheers, 

Brian Kirby. 

• Like 2

On 24/06/2021 at 17:05, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Adding the small section of magnetic material to the dropper, is a good idea, although rather tricky to mount, i'd imagine? You can wrap tiny offcuts of tissue paper (loo roll/kitchen roll) around the joints, then soak in superglue to reinforce. When dry, paint matt black to be less conspicuous.

Cheers, 

Brian Kirby. 

Very kind of you to reply, for some reason I never got a notification of a reply post.  Yes very tricky to apply the little magnet.  All painted matt black now and unnoticeable.

Only had to do 8 carriage ends and four wagons as all in fixed rakes.  One benefit, with my Class 73 is the carriage hook end rests on front of the Pullman rubbing bar on the engine, so can shunt backwards like Kadees.  Wish I had found about your mod years ago, only saw it following the 'Stoke Courtenay' thread last month. 

Edited by Guest
spelliing

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

An issue I found with little magnets on the paper clip when fixed on Hornby coupling tails, is that after uncoupling they would stick on the magnet strip on top of the sleepers.  Thereby causing jack rabbit starts with more power needed to move off.  And also on some track pins (now removed) and ripping the paper clip off the tails as train went over.

So like others I cut the sleepers and put strong magnets from Screwfix into baseboard, replace sleepers, ballast, paint,  job done plus looks much better, long winded as I had 10 to do. see all photos.

The second photo shows the camoflage, and the two trolleys placed on for uncoupling guidance.  The two metal bits in top of 2nd pic are where two others are placed under track, and also put over magnets when not in use to keep the magnets magnetism. Pic 3 what they now look like uncoupled.

IMG_20211203_121119782_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211217_163832438.jpg

IMG_20211217_163736630.jpg

Edited by Guest