Flying Scotsman in trouble?

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Doesn't sound quite right, does it?

Not very well at all , not the "Gresley Beat"  only   a kitten sneezing,  it  must be a bad coal problem, note the  light  exhaust, the crew are nursing the boiler,  if we have a mechanical problem, a  crew would  declare a failure far earlier in the trip

Edited by Pandora

The beat does sound reasonably even, but just very  quiet.  It was steadily losing time from the start, but the loses got worse as time went on.  Does seem like an inability to boil enough water rather than something broken.  I wonder what coal they are using?

• Agree 2

Sadly, it happens. Just about every preserved steam locomotive has a problem at one time or another. 60103 has been a consistent and reliable machine since it returned to the mainline.

One failure and childish comments such as "flying Money pit" start emerging.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Sadly, it happens. Just about every preserved steam locomotive has a problem at one time or another. 60103 has been a consistent and reliable machine since it returned to the mainline.

Those sort of comments started coming out

long before it even got back on the mainline. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As much as I don't like FS in it's current form, the "flying money pit" has repaid its investment already so that's not relevant, and hopefully today's issue is nothing serious.

I think the last one it had it had to be repaired at the Nene Valley?

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

As much as I don't like FS in it's current form, the "flying money pit" has repaid its investment already so that's not relevant, and hopefully today's issue is nothing serious.

I think the last one it had it had to be repaired at the Nene Valley?

Think that was Tornado when the inside valve gear caused problems and it failed just north of Peterborough.

1 hour ago, Denbridge said:

I was referring to the obscene & disgraceful amount of money private & public nthat have been spent on this one particular locomotive over the years.

For the sort of sums involved a reliable replica could have built (& lets face it, the vast majority of the public would neither know or care), the original (note) cosmetically restored & money spent on say "Mallard" to get her up & running.

"Childish comments" - typical remark from an intollerant FS supporter.

(note) - how much of the original actually exists & is all assembled into the same locomotive ?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Simon Lee said:

Think that was Tornado when the inside valve gear caused problems and it failed just north of Peterborough.

Definitely FS :)

https://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/3082/flying-scotsman-repaired/

Although you are correct, Tornado also ended up there for assessment and repairs.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Thanks 1

Limped into York behind the WR diesel that was sent out to collect it about 3 and a quarter late. Presumably FS is now at the museum as the diesel took the train back to London on time. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

I was referring to the obscene & disgraceful amount of money private & public nthat have been spent on this one particular locomotive over the years.

because it’s an icon so the museum can justify it in their plan whether various people outside approve or not ;) 

For the sort of sums involved a reliable replica could have built (& lets face it, the vast majority of the public would neither know or care), the original (note) cosmetically restored & money spent on say "Mallard" to get her up & running.

Simply because many travel because of its history and enjoy that. Why is Mallard going to be any more reliable though? ;)

(Personally I’d love to see her out again as the A4 is my favourite but accept it’s probably stuffed until at least 2038)

"Childish comments" - typical remark from an intollerant FS supporter.

So let’s not get equally inflammatory in response?

(note) - how much of the original actually exists & is all assembled into the same locomotive ?

oh gawd please not again it’s been done to death previously :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Like it or not, it's the biggest celebrity steam loco in the UK. Using it as the flagship for the national collection seems an entirely reasonable thing to do, as it's one of the few that the general public recognise and get excited about.

Mallard is probably the only competition in public recognition terms, and that's far too valuable to risk in the wild.

And yes, a worn out locomotive (as it was when bought for the national collection) is expensive to fix properly, but that's steam engines for you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Mmmm you’re right about the public loving it. But why not build a replica and thrash that about instead. They did it with Rocket…..if it is sooooooooo valuable then stop damaging it and use a replica, most Normals wouldn’t know the difference anyway. They don’t know Tornado is new….:lol:

• RMweb Premium

Usual no knowledge people slagging off a piece of history. If you can't say something positive then scroll on and play marbles. It was failed at Retford , Babworth Loop where it usually stops for water.  RM says lack of steam raising caused issues and most probably duff coal rather than mechanical. Once it was failed the response from WCR at York and NR was rapid and efficient. If you want to mention money pits then think Track and Trace, PPE and overrated footballers along with crap overspend on building projects. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7
  • Agree 11