New train seemingly not working

My son spent his birthday money on the Mallard with sound from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R3395TTS-CLASS-MALLARD-SOUND/dp/B01IDBJT8G

He is trying to run it using a R8213 controller. He has managed to add it, but we're struggling to get it to move! It did run a little when we were playing with the functions so we know it's capable of movement but we're struggling to get it to work properly.

We have read through all the leaflets that came with it but we've not find anything useful.

Are we missing something?

He had tested another DCC train (without sound) and that is working fine.

Edited by James M

I'm wondering if the controller needs a firmware update. He got it going when we figured out how to set the functions by holding the function button and the number. He has got it to do individual sounds like that, but it seems to get stuck after doing one and won't do another.

AIUI you have version 1.0, you need at least version 1.5 to use with sound locomotives. I think that prior to that version the number of functions supported was limited.

You need to contact Hornby support to arrange upgrading of the firmware. It is necessary to send the unit to them to update it for you.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yup, sounds like it needs the upgrade.

Contact Hornby customer services to arrange, I believe it costs about £15 but you'll get a much more functional and useful controller afterwards.

• Informative/Useful 1