Pattern for the roof vents on the Siphon G

I am about to start modding a pair of Lima Siphons (G, inside frame) and have found quite a lot of helpful information here on RMWeb and in other places from people who have already done it.

However I would like to make one of them the version that had roof vents added but have been unable to find a template or pattern to follow (I don't have access to the reference book on Siphons).

Some of the photos I have seen of kit built Siphons with roof vents seem to have a different pattern to those in prototype photos, although it's hard to be sure, given the angle and quality of the photos.

I am modelling the post war BRITISH RAILWAYS period, so many prototype photos are not helpful for underframe detailing as they are either "as built" or mid-late BR, or of modern restorations to an undated condition, but I assume roof vents stayed the same once they were fitted.

So my questions:

Was there more than one pattern of roof vents ?

Can anyone refer me to a website or reference that provides a pattern in 4mm scale

Additional question

I have seen some photos of upgraded/modded Hornby outside-frame Siphons running on BR period layouts, but still with all the fittings for gas lighting. Did the gas fitted Siphons really remain gas lit until withdrawal (or at least not have the fittings removed)?

Many thanks

Rodger

15 hours ago, rodger5591 said:

I am about to start modding a pair of Lima Siphons (G, inside frame) and have found quite a lot of helpful information here on RMWeb and in other places from people who have already done it.

However I would like to make one of them the version that had roof vents added but have been unable to find a template or pattern to follow (I don't have access to the reference book on Siphons).

Some of the photos I have seen of kit built Siphons with roof vents seem to have a different pattern to those in prototype photos, although it's hard to be sure, given the angle and quality of the photos.

I am modelling the post war BRITISH RAILWAYS period, so many prototype photos are not helpful for underframe detailing as they are either "as built" or mid-late BR, or of modern restorations to an undated condition, but I assume roof vents stayed the same once they were fitted.

So my questions:

Was there more than one pattern of roof vents ?

Can anyone refer me to a website or reference that provides a pattern in 4mm scale

Additional question

I have seen some photos of upgraded/modded Hornby outside-frame Siphons running on BR period layouts, but still with all the fittings for gas lighting. Did the gas fitted Siphons really remain gas lit until withdrawal (or at least not have the fittings removed)?

Many thanks

Rodger

Rodger,

I too have the odd Syphon G and, I suppose, I should get around to 'updating it' sometime. I can't be of much help with your questions, but I did stumble on the following list of withdrawal details that might be of some use:

https://rcts.org.uk/carriage-conundrums/gwr-br-non-passenger-carrying-coaching-stock-disposals/gwr-br-siphon-g/

I also looked in my 1974 RCTS coaching stock book but that only gives details as VB, steam piped. Some are reclassified as NPV and have SH. It also notes some have 'steel panels' in place of the all timber construction.

I hope you'll post some photos of your completed Syphons. I, for one, will be really interested to see the results.

Ian

Thanks for the reference Ian. Very useful.

I decided to have a go at 2796 which is now at Didcot (https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/146/no-2796-collett-siphon-g/9daa0fc1ed60979300f338b7d291a396), so I have emailed them to ask if they can help with information on the vents.

For outside frame siphons, Tatlow's "Historic Carriage Drawings", volume 3 is a good reference. On the gas lighting issue, I suppose the safest option is to build one from the lots that never had gas lighting fitted at all.

As to photos, I don't usually photograph anything, but you never know.

all the best

Rodger

The roof vents were installed when 54 siphons were converted for use in Casualty Evacuation Trains, this had 12 vents in a staggered pattern. Later many, if not all, of the vehicles were used in military ambulace trains and lost one ventilater to make room for a roof top water tank. Attached is a picture of my model thats shows the arrangement.

This is based on a photograph and the drawing in the Siphon G book. This shows the 11 vent arrangement. While the drawing shows the pattern of vents is symetrical as to the intervals between vents it is slightly offset as to the centre line of the vehicle. About 4.5 inches, which I susspect could be an error.

The rows of vents are 13 inches apart according to the drawing.

Regards

Tony Cane

roof small.JPG

• Thanks 1