Hornby Coming Soon Pages

Markwj

• RMweb Gold

Hornby seem to have had an update on this page of their website with items up to May 2022 listed. Not surprisingly probably due to global events many items have slipped back such as the mk4 coaches and class 87 but it’s a really useful tool for planning spending etc.

Some items though seem to have disappeared altogether such as the scotrail 47 and Blackpool brush tramcar but hopefully they will reappear soon.

(APT still on for next month though with extra coaches later in the year- that’s all that really matters)!

mark

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Markwj said:

Hornby seem to have had an update on this page of their website with items up to May 2022 listed. Not surprisingly probably due to global events many items have slipped back such as the mk4 coaches and class 87 but it’s a really useful tool for planning spending etc.

Some items though seem to have disappeared altogether such as the scotrail 47 and Blackpool brush tramcar but hopefully they will reappear soon.

(APT still on for next month though with extra coaches later in the year- that’s all that really matters)!

mark

Its use is dependent on their ability to keep to it.  I notice that the W1 "British Enterprise" is not on the list.  Does this mean it has been dropped or just forgotten when they did the list?  

1 hour ago, Bishdurham said:

I notice that the W1 "British Enterprise" is not on the list.  Does this mean it has been dropped or just forgotten when they did the list?  

R3841 is on the coming soon page, of the W1 models it's R3978-R3980 that are not on the page.

W1 locos with the release date according to the coming soon page and release quarter according to the product page

R3840 - October 21, Autumn 2021

R3841 - December 21, Winter 2021

R3842 - October 21, Autumn 2021

R3843 - December 21, Winter 2021

R3844 - November 21, Autumn 2021

R3978 - not on page, Winter 2022

R3979 - not on page, Winter 2022

R3980 - not on page, Winter 2022

• Like 1

I went to my local model shop here in Australia and the owner said that getting anything out of Hornby was a waste of time and that he'd have more luck getting blood out of a stone. He seems to be phasing out Hornby products and has gone for locally made products and companies from other countries namely the US who aren't picky like the Brit suppliers seem to be. He used to have a huge range of Hornby products which sold well, but not anymore. It may this new "tier system" they've introduced where they can't see his shop for they can't get into Australia and no he doesn't manufacture his own range of products. If Bachmann and Heljan go the same way then a lot of people overseas won't buy British outline models as buying from a model shop is still preferable to buying online. If a loco is a dud you have to send it back (at your expence) to the manufacturer and if you're lucky (very lucky) they may refund the postage costs but only if you're lucky. Buying from a model shop you can get the loco test run right there in front of you so you know it's a good runner or a dud. Humbrol paints are selling less as people buy more Tamiya paints instead.    

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hi, Have I missed something along the way - what is this about a Blackpool Brush tramcar, please?

Bazza

Possible CC43515 a Coke Cola tram now says coming in November.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hi, Have I missed something along the way - what is this about a Blackpool Brush tramcar, please?

Bazza

They are doing a double deck balloon and a single deck brush rail coach in fictitious Coca Cola livery I think they are priced about 40 quid each but not motorised.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys, thanks, had not noticed this. I already have this model in Blackpool livery so won't be needing one. Had hoped it might be a new rtr item.

Bazza 

• RMweb Premium
On 21/06/2021 at 19:26, adb968008 said:

I’m very surprised weve never had rtr motorised Blackpool trams

Back in 2015/2016, under Richard Ames as CEO, we did start looking at the possibility of  producing RTR trams under the Corgi brand, by looking at producing motorised chassis for the existing Tram range tooling, but the idea died when Ames was removed, and budgets/staffing were drastically cut.

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am surprised Hornby hasn’t jumped on the modern tram systems used in many cities these days, as they would make good boxed ‘tram/train-set’ materiel and open up a whole new support market for urban scenery, accessories, etc.

Once established there comes the international tram market, followed by less recent trams home and abroad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RAF96 said:

I am surprised Hornby hasn’t jumped on the modern tram systems used in many cities these days, as they would make good boxed ‘tram/train-set’ materiel and open up a whole new support market for urban scenery, accessories, etc.

Once established there comes the international tram market, followed by less recent trams home and abroad.

Just wait until someone else does a Blackpool tram with a motor.

They'll be out of the blocks and into production like a shot.......

Just a thought

Les

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 29/06/2021 at 21:10, RAF96 said:

It's a little while since I took an active interest in "modern" British trams, but had I been answering this that few years ago, I'd have said the major problem is that each city insists on (or is seduced into) having its own 'bespoke' design to meet its own needs; so that even if and when much of the under-gubbins is the same, the bodywork usually isn't.  And that cuts down the potential market considerably in model terms, just as much as it used to raise the unit costs of the real thing.

• Administrators
On 29/06/2021 at 21:10, RAF96 said:

As @whillie whizz has said, every city has their own tram design. The international market won't be interested in 4mm:1ft trams for their 3.5mm:1ft layouts.

Then you need to model a city centre and put up overhead. Tram modelling is harder than it looks.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

As @whillie whizz has said, every city has their own tram design. The international market won't be interested in 4mm:1ft trams for their 3.5mm:1ft layouts.

Then you need to model a city centre and put up overhead. Tram modelling is harder than it looks.

Very true I think the best bet would be to offer the corgi Blackpool trams either motorised for the modeller or static for the collector. The range seemed to be popular when first released with plenty of reliveries on the same moulding. The brush single decker and the balloon double decker I think have the same wheelbase so the mechanism would fit both. 
Trams still run through the streets of Fleetwood and also the museum line in Birkenhead so a museum line through a city street could be prototypical or a heritage tram on an LRT line.

Lastly yes overhead would be a challenge to model sommerfeldt do a tramway mast.

Food for thought I guess.

On 21/06/2021 at 03:15, faulcon1 said:

I went to my local model shop here in Australia and the owner said that getting anything out of Hornby was a waste of time and that he'd have more luck getting blood out of a stone. He seems to be phasing out Hornby products and has gone for locally made products and 

It could also be the fact that Hornby did pause export outside the UK for awhile after the Brexit date.  Coupled with a pandemic which has - and continues to cause - freight headaches.  There are loads of empty boxes sitting on docksides around the World.

However, exporting from a UK based model shop to Australia (and other Countries) is getting easier and quicker door to door. But as you correctly say you cannot see for yourself the model being tested in front of you. 

Not sure how the Tier system has been rolled out outside the UK, as in some Countries the items go via an in-Country distributor which may also cause price and delivery differences.

• RMweb Gold

I have around a dozen trams, mostly Corgi with motors.

They seem to have managed a UK wide range quite well off only a few designs.

in HO theres quite a range of rtr trams, I have an Atlas Boeing SF Muni tram (as I used to commute on it, then later 2 of these ended up in the UK), as well as various European ones.. Bachmann made a Birkenhead tram, made from their Hong Kong Tram tooling, but none of that range is easy to find now… the Hong Kong trams are my favourite (I used to live there too).
There is an sought after collection of PCC cars, with sound in many US city colours (and the San Francisco F-Line fleet) available, as well as the Witt tram made by Bowser.

Kato, Roco, Lima have all made street bahn trams for many European cities.

I run them on my oo layout alongside anything else…

if theres is a market overseas for trams, I dont see why there wouldnt be one here in the UK… The popular ones are easy to weed out,. Blackpool Ballon, Feltham style tram etc... i’d imagine a Blackpool open top would have a market in the US too, as theres a few over there… I wouldnt write it off so hastily.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2021 at 19:19, Phil Parker said:

Not if you do Anchorsholme in Blackpool!

d23684

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5