Cambrian Coast visit June 2021. It's all at your Co-op!

• RMweb Gold

Recently returned from an excellent holiday near Barmouth. Popped down to the Co-op store in town for a pint of milk only to be greeted with the site of 158824 on the back of two Allelys low loaders being re-railed in the Co-op Car Park adjacent to the station. 

According to the Allelys driver a Network Rail team were building a ramp to re-rail both carriages as there is a spur behind the store adjacent to the station. I believe its built on the old goods yard. 

Apparently the unit had been picked up from Chirk. 

Cambrian Railways 06/2021

Does anyone know why this procedure takes place at this point? Access wise it looks an absolute nightmare. 

Now for a bit of modelling inspiration. Not far from Shell Island is the lovely station of Pensarn. The lifted sidings still have the remains of the loading gauge present. 

Loading gauge visible.

158838 arrives on an evening service to Machynlleth. 

The day before 158822 is seen at Tywynn. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant find.

The video certainly demonstrates the difficulties with access and how skillful the Allelys team were. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Due to restoration work totally closing  Barmouth Bridge and the need for stock working the shuttle service to be rotated  for Maintenance etc. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, 46444 said:

The day before 158822 is seen at Tywynn. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Interesting photos Mark, thanks for sharing. Also interesting to note in your last photo that the points adjacent to the GF (on right of photo)  seem to be set towards the line that 158822 is traversing. Hopefully the points (out of shot) are "spring" points and the unit isn't about to have a "run through" if they aren't. I don't know the area personally, but hopefully someone can confirm that the points (out of shot) are "spring" points and normally set to the loop on the right (as viewed).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

Interesting photos Mark, thanks for sharing. Also interesting to note in your last photo that the points adjacent to the GF (on right of photo)  seem to be set towards the line that 158822 is traversing. Hopefully the points (out of shot) are "spring" points and the unit isn't about to have a "run through" if they aren't. I don't know the area personally, but hopefully someone can confirm that the points (out of shot) are "spring" points and normally set to the loop on the right (as viewed).

I think I can answer my own question. Although not stated as such in the Sectional Appendix (which is why I asked the question), a bit more digging, this time in the 5-mile diagrams, it would appear that the points in question are indeed "spring points" - set towards the Up Loop.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, iands said:

I think I can answer my own question. Although not stated as such in the Sectional Appendix (which is why I asked the question), a bit more digging, this time in the 5-mile diagrams, it would appear that the points in question are indeed "spring points" - set towards the Up Loop.

With the advent of ERTMS a few years ago the old “gasbag” points on the Cambrian loops disappeared and they are now motored.  The point on the right (facing for up trains) give access to an engineer’s siding which runs past the end of the Talyllyn Railway’s Wharf station. It is mechanically worked by a ground frame released from Machynlleth.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45655 said:

With the advent of ERTMS a few years ago the old “gasbag” points on the Cambrian loops disappeared and they are now motored.  The point on the right (facing for up trains) give access to an engineer’s siding which runs past the end of the Talyllyn Railway’s Wharf station. It is mechanically worked by a ground frame released from Machynlleth.

Thanks 45655, earlier I could only find a 2012 version of the 5 mile diagrams. Now finally found the 2017 version and it does indeed show the points as being motorised, number 5024 in fact.

• Like 1