Big wheeled tank locos?

Does anyone know of some tank engines with 5’ plus drive wheels?

I’ve got hold of an O gauge Lima LMS 4f, (5’3” drivers) and want to construct an alternative body as an 0-6-0 tank loco. Obviously not many tank locos have such large wheels or such long wheelbase. I’m not too concerned about exact scale but if anyone can suggest a prototype I can work off I’d be grateful. The older the better!

I think the early GWR saddle tanks had some big wheels.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Thunderforge

• Thunderforge changed the title to Big wheeled tank locos?

You're looking at locos built for passenger duties.

GWR 54XX 0-6-0PT is an example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_5400_Class

One loco people did convert the Lima 4F into was the Flatiron. I know the wheels are possibly too small, but I think you might get away with it over the flanges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Railway_2000_Class

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Taff Vale 'A' class and Rhymney Railway 'P' class, both 0-6-2 tank locos designed for South Wales Valleys passenger duties, had 5'3" diameter driving wheels, and might be 'do-able' from the 4F chassis base.  The 54xx is probably not suitable because of it's axle spacing, and as the actual driving wheel diameter was 5'2", might be a bit tight in the splashers, but another one you might want to look at is the Collett 1938 31xx large prairie; not to be confused with the Churchward loco that was rebuilt into the 5101 class, this had 5'3" wheels and a no,4 boiler, a bit of a brute...

The LIma 4F chassis block was plastic IIRC and thus not difficult to cut about in order to change the axle spacing. but of course if you go down that path you will need new coupling rods.  You can use these to set the new axle spacings.  Fine scale modelling it ain't, but then the Lima 4F isn't exactly the most hi-fi of models.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

You could remove the rear driving wheels and turn it into a Midland 0-4-4T, or even one of the LMS-built 2P versions.

I'm trying to remember which ones were done in an article in Railway Modeller in the 1970s.

Definitely a Deeley 3F 0-6-0 and Flatiron. But I'm sure there were others.

It was a typical plastikard and bits of tube article of the time, and more representations rather than scale models.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm trying to remember which ones were done in an article in Railway Modeller in the 1970s.

Definitely a Deeley 3F 0-6-0 and Flatiron. But I'm sure there were others.

It was a typical plastikard and bits of tube article of the time, and more representations rather than scale models.

Flatiron would be straightforward enough since it's more or less* the same engine.

*Getting lesser and lesser the more to scale one wants to be, of course.

Edited by Compound2632

You want Railway Modeller December 1977, pages 372/3, June 1991, page 273, October 1986, pages 410-12 and August  1985, pages 322-24. Plenty of Lima 0 4F conversions there. :D

• RMweb Premium
On 21/06/2021 at 13:32, Thunderforge said:

Thanks guy, that’s really helpful.

I like the look of the Highland scrap tanks so I might try one of those first. I want to keep the 4f chassis in tact so I can multipurpose/reuse it a bit.

Now to find some drawings!

I can scan some for you if you want....

Andy G