Eastnate Dairy - OO gauge in an ice-cream tub

Innovative use of the box and it will be just right for the Express Dairy Ruston 48. Look forward to seeing more.

John

This is looking really.... tasty ;) In fact, it's really Jubbly ;) Flakin' hell ;) 

Oh dear, please accept my apologies - my attempts at ice-cream related puns must stop there! 
Excellent progress good sir. I like this - it's something quite different.
Can't wait to see it finished - now, is that an Ice cream van around the Cornetto..... argh - I said I'd stop lol :) 

• Funny 6

Cheers all, I'm loving the scoop of ice-cream puns - keep them cone-ing, because mine are getting flakey! Maybe we can get to 99 - then again, we might feel a bit sor-bet by then...

23 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is it DCC ?

Currently, it's wireless :P (and even trackless!) It will be DC, but on an automatic shuttle - whether that's a proprietary unit, an Arduino Micro and H-bridge, or some other fancy electronics courtesy of my dad, is yet to be seen.

Tonight's progress was all digital, so nothing really to serve up. But I now have an A4 page choc-chip-full of things to print for this layout, so I should be able to start whipping up a few more things soon!

I would say I'm sorry for the puns, but I don't think I am. Blame @marc smith, he started it... :lol:

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

9 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Cheers all, I'm loving the scoop of ice-cream puns - keep them cone-ing, because mine are getting flakey! Maybe we can get to 99 - then again, we might feel a bit sor-bet by then.......

Tonight's progress was all digital, so nothing really to serve up. But I now have an A4 page choc-chip-full of things to print for this layout, so I should be able to start whipping up a few more things soon!

I would say I'm sorry for the puns, but I don't think I am. Blame @marc smith, he started it... :lol:

So @TechnicArrow - you are blaming me for this thread taking a Twister direction. Well, I'd point out that it's up to you to Mr. Whippy it in to shape.
.....And up to me to apologise for my puns not improving, of course ;) 

Back on topic (not wanting to side-step onto chocolate bar puns!) I did wonder whether you might automate the running. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.

• Funny 2

Cheers @Wrenn, @The Bandit and @Nathaniel, as well as everyone else who "reacts" to my posts - I'm glad you enjoy watching my little side-project develop as much as I'm enjoying building it!

Over the past two days a fair few advancements have been made. The first was the addition of windows to the dairy building. Given the success of the Alexandra Wharf grain silo, I've stuck to my method of cutting window apertures from a piece paper, adding thin strips for the glazing bars and finally covering with clear plastic:

535865880_7.Windowsanddetails(1).jpg.fbf9c23205313ce184822c5467a95a72.jpg

These were then fitted to the building. Two of them had extractor-fan grilles added to them; I then carried on adding detail to the platform, as usual raiding my box of scrap kit sprues for suitable pipes. Then it was time to get the paints out; whilst I was painting the pipework I used various shades and strengths of grey to transform the bare card faces to a slightly more concrete-y look. Since It's never really been shown on it's own before, here's a vanity shot of the more-or-less completed building:

373773408_7.Windowsanddetails(2).jpg.ea9b15d1aca58bb577fb2e9a08e102ce.jpg

I'm pretty damn happy with this one - given it's not based on any real-life structure, I'm really pleased with the proportions. Here it is again, with a little more life added to the scene:

1660532271_8.DetailsBridge(5).jpg.21e7a7d0841c6aaea5dafbdb45aeb700.jpg

What's that in the background, you (probably don't) ask? Well, the bridge has finally graduated from mock-up to scenic structure. 1875140029_8.DetailsBridge(1).jpg.46f807157402219666ed0d422264ffd3.jpg

No stand-alone shot of this one I'm afraid; one, it's pretty integral to the scene now, and two - if I did you'd realise just how wonky it really is! Seriously, viewed face-on there's not a square angle on the thing, which can probably be attributed to the baseboard. Ah well, you never *can* see it face-on when it's in the box, so no matter; if we pull back out to take in the whole scene, most of the discrepancies fade away. The only thing is I've just spotted the parapet wall should be on top of the girder, not behind it - shouldn't be too tricky to fix though. Overall it's looking pretty tidy!

1534744439_8.DetailsBridge(2).jpg.7f1aeca6c70a184421fb2428990e679b.jpg

The to-do list is getting steadily shorter - it's now just rusting the rails, adding ground cover, and finding something to fill the left-hand wall. Oh, and someday I'm going to have to make this run...

Edited by TechnicArrow
Pictures Restored
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 03/07/2021 at 18:08, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Another cracking layout you've whipped up. What's your next plan? 

Thank you! I'm glad you asked, you reminded me I haven't posted in a little while...

At some point earlier this week, I finally got around to the ground cover. I started by painting the (visible) sides of the rails and the bufferstop a browny-rust colour, and then added liberal mounts of dilute PVA and grey ash around the sleepers. The hardstanding is still the scalescenes printed surface texture, on a few layers of card to build up the thickness a little.

Whilst I was at the layout I also modified the bridge slightly; I moved the brick parapet forward of the girder rather than behind it, and sloped the front face back a little so the lid can still fit on the tub properly.

Finally, a few photos - this time with the trusty 04, which I don't think has made an appearance yet. I think one of the reasons I really enjoy this loco is the splash of green, yellow and red it brings to an otherwise very brown/grey scene; although this particular layout isn't too bad with the prominent blue doors and signage.

1153719640_9.Groundcover(1).jpg.b584516f21be0781b8fa85ebc48250ef.jpg

601181230_9.Groundcover(5).jpg.e5cef2640594d81ef3162d01cdd0f0ad.jpg

408906895_9.Groundcover(4).jpg.4883194a38c2ef5d19d6f00e2ac0e9f4.jpg

I really enjoy this view across both tracks, although it's only possible when there isn't a van there. I might build a half-a-wagon, to provide the soft view-block under the bridge but also retain some open track.

1358796267_9.Groundcover(3).jpg.b6d9dea0b22c9be037e470529a6f8018.jpg

189977976_9.Groundcover(2).jpg.c72401979bc469918fb8cb1b542c174c.jpg

That's all for now. There's not much left to do really; I need to add a left-hand building of some sort, and a roof to the dairy which will be incredibly complex to fit with the curve of the tub. And then at some point I've got to add a fiddle-stick and auto-run system, but I expect that'll be a project Dad can help with when I'm at home over summer.

Edited by TechnicArrow
Pictures Restored
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anything been happening with this layout over the past 3 weeks? No, not really!

A week ago when I arrived home, I decided I would "finish" this layout so I could display it upstairs, out of the way. And then nothing happened, until today that is:

PXL_20210724_105854725.jpg.0b5110a766db63c1fff36424b5e65db6.jpg

This morning I finally added a simple left-hand building using some brick paper and a spare scalescenes door. I also added a few pieces of card to represent some inset track within the mysterious end building; mainly to hide the gap under the door that was neccessary to clear the rails!

I then added a final card fascia layer to the whole scene, to eliminate the gaps between the layout and the tub walls. Finally I brought the tub upstairs, where it now sits on my bookshelf.

PXL_20210724_105725974.jpg.e4e70c5680564225821e55fd6a77b39c.jpg

PXL_20210724_105758740.jpg.f40d11c5ea4832186f7add6d1c905c0f.jpg

Yes I know that's an oil tanker not a milk tanker - the filler cap is so tall it doesn't even fit under the bridge! But it's all I've got for now, so it'll have to do until I get around to buying some proper tankers.

My intention is that this is a conclusion "for now"; the layout is more or less scenically complete, so I can divert my attention to other projects. But at some point this summer I still want to add a fiddle stick and automatic shuttle unit, so all is not over yet!

Edited by TechnicArrow
Pictures Restored
  • Like 12