Eastnate Dairy - OO gauge in an ice-cream tub

On 03/07/2021 at 23:34, TechnicArrow said:

Thank you! I'm glad you asked, you reminded me I haven't posted in a little while...

At some point earlier this week, I finally got around to the ground cover. I started by painting the (visible) sides of the rails and the bufferstop a browny-rust colour, and then added liberal mounts of dilute PVA and grey ash around the sleepers. The hardstanding is still the scalescenes printed surface texture, on a few layers of card to build up the thickness a little.

Whilst I was at the layout I also modified the bridge slightly; I moved the brick parapet forward of the girder rather than behind it, and sloped the front face back a little so the lid can still fit on the tub properly.

Finally, a few photos - this time with the trusty 04, which I don't think has made an appearance yet. I think one of the reasons I really enjoy this loco is the splash of green, yellow and red it brings to an otherwise very brown/grey scene; although this particular layout isn't too bad with the prominent blue doors and signage.

1055905064_9.Groundcover(1).jpg.3c06f8b11b4fa35bd49c909dd654e4c6.jpg

817249295_9.Groundcover(5).jpg.b57bde06b9a2d4fa906acf5bcf4331aa.jpg

107698772_9.Groundcover(4).jpg.e94a06746a79f29f1a477996348361a7.jpg

I really enjoy this view across both tracks, although it's only possible when there isn't a van there. I might build a half-a-wagon, to provide the soft view-block under the bridge but also retain some open track.

62176252_9.Groundcover(3).jpg.93990dfaf804b036fa64e3cc4a408c14.jpg

1799273035_9.Groundcover(2).jpg.bafe811f7582cf17520b67664467dfa8.jpg

That's all for now. There's not much left to do really; I need to add a left-hand building of some sort, and a roof to the dairy which will be incredibly complex to fit with the curve of the tub. And then at some point I've got to add a fiddle-stick and auto-run system, but I expect that'll be a project Dad can help with when I'm at home over summer.

This look great! Brilliant micro modelling.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Jerry1975, @Nathaniel, @Karl & @Ian Holmes; I'm glad you've enjoyed it as much as I have building it!

As an aside, I've been doing some tidying recently - so rate my shelf!

Featuring dioramas Eastnate Diary and Paper Cutting (I really need to fix the wiring on that one, the flashing LED doesn't work), as well as some N-scale static models, a custom LEGO Ivatt 2MT, and plenty of postcards...

Looking at Paper Cutting again has reminded me I've got some more present-day figures and vehicles that don't quite "fit" on the main layout, and the tidy-up has resulted in a little more shelf space, so maybe it's about time I built another one...

PXL_20210727_230805218.jpg

Edited by TechnicArrow
Pictures Restored
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Once again you have excelled in creating an ultra micro out of ... well ... next to nothing!

Might I make a suggestion? Could you find a suitable interior photo from off the web to put inside your building, to give the impression of depth? John Wiffen did that for the inside of his industrial boxfile kit; something suitably murky with perhaps a hint of tank ends and pipework might do it!

IMG_2051.JPG.980e91f87685baf204e2d3c623dc0377.JPG  

This image might be better flipped horizontally!

IMG_2052.JPG.839e05c11a2ecd8fb7305bb1c7837a98.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG.306e224642b288e92c17236bfcdae333.JPG

All the above images were found with a Google search for "milk bottling plant vintage", cropped and recoloured as a suggestion. NB I do not have rights to these images and there may be issues with copyright - will remove if requested!

If you decided to make it an ice cream factory instead of a diary, couldn't you alternate milk tanks (incoming) with refrigerated containers and/or vans (outgoing)? Plus an excuse for an Oxford ice cream (delivery) van on your hard standing!

IMG_2050.JPG.d27090fee0181d6a8e4826d454677160.JPG

All the best

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @SteveyDee68 for your very kind words, and excellent suggestions.

I always had a vague plan to put *something* inside the factory, I just never really thought about it and so it hasn't happened yet! That first picture looks perfect though; I might have to have a dig around to see what I can find.

And as for the vans - I might park a refrigerated van on the front siding; if I find a kit one, I could leave off the buffers and one end so it can sit a little further under the bridge. And that ice-cream van is exactly what I need - the hardstanding was added with the intention to pose a road vehicle of some form, but I was so busy looking at milkfloats I managed to skip the ice-cream van!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Look what's finally turned up at Eastnate Dairy!

1908817601_11.MilkTanker(3).jpg.7247aac32df16a697d0d5ee8cace33c3.jpg

It's been a year since it "opened" and a tanker has only just turned up - must be some very slow production!

This came about from an exploratory trip to my nearest model shop, where the second-hand shelf featured six weathered and boxed milk tanks at £12 a piece. Being a skint student I only picked up the one, but I may well go back for a second at some point if they're still there!

911517681_11.MilkTanker(2).jpg.7996615eace7a98c3dfc5f31d802c93f.jpg

Having a proper tanker on-scene certainly helps reinforce the theme of the layout, even if it's from the wrong brand of dairy! Now I need to replace the Vanwide with a refrigerated van of some sort, and find a road vehicle.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

This is an amazing micro layout and one I followed through its build. It is still looking great and you can't be robbed paying £12 for a tanker.

Thanks for sharing. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Kevin Johnson and @Jerry1975, I appreciate it!

I've just gone back through and restored the lost photos from this thread; since there's only a page and a half, and I'd stored and labelled all of my photos, it wasn't too bad. I'm not so keen to do my Alexandra Wharf thread though 😄

I still need to put up some interior photos and a proper roof, but I don't see it happening any time soon - or that fiddle stick and shuttle unit. I'm too easily distracted by new projects...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Night Train said:

Brilliant. Whats the shunter in the last couple of photos?

Cheers! The loco is a kit-bashed Dapol 04 Drewry Shunter, that I built back in 2019:

Unfortunately the post in question suffers from missing pictures, but there's some more further down the page.

Although I cut it about so it fits over the Bachmann 04 chassis, it's currently sat on the dummy plastic one from the kit since the layout is unpowered anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/05/2022 at 14:20, TechnicArrow said:

Cheers! The loco is a kit-bashed Dapol 04 Drewry Shunter, that I built back in 2019.......

And it looks right at home on this tiny micro layout too.
I'm glad I glanced back at this superb little scene. I'd forgotten just how good it is :) 

• Thanks 1