Limoges - Eymoutiers 20 June 2021 - 141TD740 / 140C38

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

A few photos from yesterday's trip from Limoges to Eymoutiers, first post-Covid excursion for these locos from the Limoges-based preservation group. Rather too long a day really but such is the nature of the way that the French do such trips. Lots of business created for the restaurants and bars at Eymoutiers.

France Meteo let us down badly. As late as Friday evening, we were promised decent weather. They got that wrong! It rained all the way to Eymoutiers, with thunder and lightning. But it really heaved down just as we had to de-train at Eymoutiers where there is no shelter on the down platform. Had to wait for everybody to get off so that they could shunt back into a siding to let the TER (one of few that run each week up beyond Eymoutiers to Ussel) to pass.

We were supposed to go further up the line to Bugeas in the afternoon but some storm damage led to this part of the trip being cancelled.

It was apparently the first time that both locos had been used together to double-head a train. Motive seemed to be to give the loco crews an opportunity after the long Covid shutdown. There must have been about ten crews and there were frequent service stops for crew changes.

The line is certainly interesting with gradients, tunnels and viaducts in plenty. But some are a bit difficult to see as the Limousin is very much an area of dense woodland.

My real reason for making the trip is the Nord "tubulaire" coaches. Very young, I travelled on the "rapide" equivalent - same shaped windows and doors but with compartments. But I don't think that I ever rode on these.

A bonus was the train being followed from Limoges to Eymoutiers by about 20 historical commercial vehicles.

PS: I will come back in a while with the photos when I can work out what's going on between the phone and the computer!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Right way up on the computer. So, I can't do anything about it.

Second photo, a detail from one of the association's USI coaches. They date from c1964 but they have chosen to use pre-UIC numbering. Arguably not done a very good job with this one but the composites were unusual with a mix of vestibule and compartments to which they have added a bar/shop in three former compartments and a compartment converted for guard's/announcer's use.

Their main service vehicle for loco crews is this A4D (1st break), a PLM vehicle dating from 1907.

IMG_20210620_091422.jpg

IMG_20210620_105851.jpg

IMG_20210620_110043.jpg

IMG_20210620_111004.jpg

IMG_20210620_112315.jpg

IMG_20210620_113932.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks to have been a good trip Joe. I did it in 2019 with just the 4-6-0.  The pictures are not  on my Limoges thread. But I will put some on here if you are OK with that.  The sound of the 2 locos must have been great.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Looks to have been a good trip Joe. I did it in 2019 with just the 4-6-0.  The pictures are not  on my Limoges thread. But I will put some on here if you are OK with that.  The sound of the 2 locos must have been great.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes, of course feel free to post your photos.

I had replied in more detail but the hotel wifi dropped out!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks for posting these. Sorry for such a late reply. I was hoping they would double head the service on 11 August when I was out there but they used their 63500 instead of TD740 which was disappointing. On the other hand there was a x2400 autorail that was running from Ussel up to Eymoutiers which gave a chance to photo the two classic trains (along with the service train) at Eymoutiers. It must be the busiest Eymoutiers has ever been!!! 

25DBD7F9-A6C3-407A-BFA0-E964DAC3EF38.jpeg.1513a3036008a63e6058d589cac8043b.jpeg

E5A99B9E-BA92-4CD1-9F4C-DC6F35AAA25B.jpeg.2d6f1ec09a5b45f05ee8cd92ddd72d13.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice to see 140C38. I last saw it in steam aged 15 in 1975 on the CFTA...

By the way strictly speaking the A4D is not 100% 'from 1907'. It is a Rémetalisé Sud Est. 'Metallised' in the 1920s by the PLM and 'rematallised' in the early 1960s by SNCF. Parts of the underframe and chassis may have been original, but not sure how much

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1