DCC turntable short circuit

Krazykrisbell

Hi

I've just installed my first DCC turntable (Walthers 933-2849 90)

and I'm getting a short circuit when a locos wheels are across the feed track and the bridge. If I run the loco fast enough it doesn't register but then the loco goes off the other end of the bridge.

I'm assuming there's some kind of magic electronic board that can fix this, can anyone advise please ?

Was also wondering if the TT could be powered via one of the occupancy detector outputs In order to see the loco detected on the bridge via Railcom ?

Thanks

Chris

As above the turntable says DCC but you still need to fit an auto-reverser unit as you would for a return loop. BE AWARE the Walthers control unit is voltage sensitive, I think it states max 18 volts, I connected mine up to a 12-18 volt supply which blow the unit!!! then I checked with a multi meter and it was putting out 21 volts!!! Walthers replaced it FOC which was good of them, maybe because I was honest. This was all for a turntable bought ten years ago maybe the current ones are different.

Thanks both for your replies,  looks like the auto reverser is what I need.  I'm using the Z21 command station which does put out more than 18v as I've measured the track voltage,  up until now the TT has been working OK but perhaps I should reduce the max voltage on the Z21.

The default track voltage from a Z21 is 18v.

I suspect that you are using a standard multimeter and these cannot measure the DCC voltage accurately. The voltage you will see on the app or when using the Z21 Maint Program is accurate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krazykrisbell said:

Thanks both for your replies,  looks like the auto reverser is what I need. 

According to the documentation, and stuff found on US forums, the turntable has a split-ring polarity switch.  So, if you connect it the "right way" it should work.   But, you may find that the exit tracks from some locations are the reverse polarity of the entry track; it depends which tracks you are using.   

An auto-reverser is a simple solution, but may be unnecessary.   

• 2 weeks later...