Which N gauge bodies are these?

• RMweb Gold

I have obtained some loco bodies as seen below and want to get chassis' for them.  I don't know what type they are so don't know what type of chassis to get, or where from.  Can anyone here please help?

loco_bodies.jpg.94b81f07b8f20b1ab676d25649c07618.jpg

cheers,

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Back right is an "old" Farish standard 4MT 2-6-4T. Front is a Farish GWR large Prairie. Rear left is unrecognisable!

Neither of the identifiable models has been made for some time; the 4MT has been superseded by a newer, better and quite different model.

• RMweb Premium

Getting chassis for these would be a case of purchasing them second hand. You would likely find that you would have to purchase the whole model rather than just the chassis. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all.  Kris, that is what I was expecting and afraid of hearing.  It sounds as if I would be better searching for second hand complete versions.  Anyone know the best place to find used locos?  I have tried Peters Spares and Farish Spares.

Ideally, I would like to replicate this scene which I believe is a Black 5 and a Jubilee:

920067178_45577ex-LMSJubilee4-6-0Bengala.jpg.cca6bc060528e4cbba12eb1eeeabaf21.jpg

cheers,
Mike

4 minutes ago, Kris said:

Getting chassis for these would be a case of purchasing them second hand. You would likely find that you would have to purchase the whole model rather than just the chassis. 

And probably in better condition than the bodies are in. The previous owner has probably nicked the chassis to put under kits from manufacturers such as Langley.

Here's a GWR version of the Prairie. Just to show you what you've got.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/660756/graham_farish_16012farish_po02_prairie_tank_loco_1604_gwr_green_pre_owned_rear_buffers_at_an_angle_fair_box/stockdetail.aspx

And the 4MT

https://www.hattons.co.uk/678551/graham_farish_1656farish_po04_class_4mt_2_6_4_80079_in_br_black_pre_owned_minor_marks_to_finish_good_box/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Royal42 said:

Thanks all.  Kris, that is what I was expecting and afraid of hearing.  It sounds as if I would be better searching for second hand complete versions.  Anyone know the best place to find used locos? 

I think I remember you saying that you don't do eBay or Facebook (those would be the first places I would look). If this memory is correct then keep your eyes on retailers such as Rails of Sheffield or Ellis Clark trains (amongst others). They do have second hand items. The model railway club in London also do second hand sales. It may also be worth looking at local auctions to yourself. 

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

And probably in better condition than the bodies are in. The previous owner has probably nicked the chassis to put under kits from manufacturers such as Langley.

Here's a GWR version of the Prairie. Just to show you what you've got.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/660756/graham_farish_16012farish_po02_prairie_tank_loco_1604_gwr_green_pre_owned_rear_buffers_at_an_angle_fair_box/stockdetail.aspx

And the 4MT

https://www.hattons.co.uk/678551/graham_farish_1656farish_po04_class_4mt_2_6_4_80079_in_br_black_pre_owned_minor_marks_to_finish_good_box/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Hi Jason,

those two locos are just in my budget range of £50, and they are from a reputable dealer.  That has given me confidence to search around for a Jubilee now; I see that Hattons do have one in stock but it's got broken bits so I'll give that one a miss.

Kris, I'm not averse to eBay, it's just that I haven't used it and feel I wouldn't know what I am getting.  I'm gullible enough not to notice a "too good to be true" deal.   I just wish the shows could come back, so that I could look at the second hand and know who I was getting it from.

Thanks again all,

Mike

• RMweb Premium

For a Jubilee the Peco versions were good in their time but have now been superseded by the Farish ones. They are a lot cheaper however. 

The body shells you have might be worth keeping should you (or someone you know) decide to create a loco scrap yard?  You can disguise the lack of running gear by placing them in a row behind a more complete model, or strategic placement of "weeds" / other scrap about the lower portion...?