Surface mounted flat strip instead of wiring

1ngram

Where would I have read (or seen a video about) using copper(?) Strip surface mounted instead of wiring underneath the layout.  I recall the underside being insulated so strips could cross each other under the track.  Or was I dreaming?

Copper self adhesive tape is used by some when wiring up for DCC.

It is also listed under slug repellent.

It can be run either on top or under the base board with individual droppers fed from each piece of rail to the relevant strip. 

Gordon A

Just put something between them where they cross (insulation tape or a sliver of card/plastic).  It is really cheap online (amazon), but you can also find it in garden centres. It comes in varying widths - I use 5mm wide. Conductivity is excellent and it's really easy to solder to.

Edited by d00m
  • Agree 1

I think its standard practice for dolls house electrics. It's got to be a good idea for DCC unless you are really in to drilling holes and soldering droppers while lying on your back under the layout.  Insulation is not rocket science when its only 16 volt, bit of clear plastic packaging between layers should get it done.   Just make sure there are enough isolatable sections to make fault finding possible.  

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 1ngram said:

So I wasn't dreaming.  Who in the model railway world markets this, explains how?  Is the underside insulated so strips can cross one another?

I have just purchased some from Amazon. £9.49 for 72 yards of 6mm tape. I insulate them with electricians insulating tape, paper or sellotape. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have used this totally on my layout it is easy to solder to and I use thin wire to go to the track. I run the track bus arund the rear of the layout under an embankment and use two pairs of strips on each 48in x24in  board it has been totally reliable. After layinfg track I just ballasted over it. No problem with adhesion on the copper strip. the connection between boards and DCC controls is by wago connectors.  Easy to connect and easy to disconnect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAGO-Electrical-Connectors-Conductor-Terminal/dp/B07QBC9DKS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?adgrpid=53623159619&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoZWHBhBgEiwAiMN66URCAMhH8Hnh3z70xbC32HDPNEGtiwKNg4NFaylvnjwZEl8fq13JLxoC_BEQAvD_BwE&hvadid=498964359292&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007208&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11542099957642248343&hvtargid=kwd-274363452&hydadcr=175_2346364&keywords=wago&qid=1625653481&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A1CBZUBF6CJDUD&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNOTBUT0Q0TkhCVDkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMjIyMTBGQjU5OTVIUTcwV08mZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDMzNjU2OElJWVMwTUlIUDVFTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Chaz