C class catching on track?

Haddocksrock

Has anybody else had their C class 0-6-0 seeming to get caught on different parts of track causing it to stop running but with wheels spinning?

I thought it might be the sand pipes as it seemed to snag at different places at different times. Now as I have started to detail the track i.e putting in foot crossings it seems to be the spring mouldings or the large lump under the cab (covering a gear?) that is the problem and the part being snagged?

Anybody else experienced this? And any suggestions of a cure? None of my other locos suffer from this.

On both of my C Class 0-6-0 Wainwright tender locomotives I found the back to back on the tender wheels was out. Using a back to back gauge on the wheels I found it solved the problem on both of mine. Interesting at the time the fault manifested itself on different parts of the layout . Running tender first I found the problem was more pronounced than running loco forward. I spent ages examining each spot where the problem had been identified , but as each locomotive exhibited the problem on different parts of the layout. Locomotives with smaller Driving wheels where not effected , I looked closer at the problem and it was only when reversing tender first over a point did I spot  the issue on a pair check rails. I would be interested ;if after checking the back to back the problem is solved. On my foot crossing at the platform ends I like to make sure the infills are a little lower between the top of the rails and the gap between the infill and the rails is a little wider , carefully painted it is not obvious but does help to stop low hanging gear closures on the bottom of locomotives becoming grounded. I find certain manufacturers who put on/off slide switches on the underside of dmus , carefully slice the switch to level there is no problem .

Edited by 4firstimes
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. It is definitely the loco not the tender that gets caught as the tender is free to move when it is happening. It happens at random spots around the layout on different points and seems to be as the loco moves around; adopting different angles for light engine and hauling a train, forward/reverse etc.

I will lower the foot crossings and see if that makes a difference. I am tempted to take a file to the covering lump under the cab to see if that makes a difference. It drives me mad as it is so random!

Just to finish this topic off and possibly help others, I have tracked down the fault.

The front coupling was slightly loose in its mounting allowing it to hang very very slightly below horizontal. This meant the vertical pin under the coupling could catch on frogs, check rails etc. It was a random fault as if coupled to a train this would pull it back to the correct height for a while until vibration made it drop back down and, presumably, move slightly side to side making it contact different points at different times.

Amazing how the simplest things can be the most difficult to spot!