Clayton Underwood - BR 70-80s

Davexoc

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Like the back story.  Westerns on GCR, can’t beat it!!!

Paul.

It won't be just Westerns, I have Warships, Hymeks and others to run it in a mainly hydraulic mode. I guess that affection came about from attending Swindon Apprentice Training School, and sitting in D1023 one lunchtime while being run up, because I never saw them in service...

3 hours ago, Kris said:

Lovely looking layout. I particularly like the fact that the track is not at a "normal" spacing.

I have tried to maintain a spacious feel, and some might frown on running straight and parallel with the baseboard edge, but the GCR is straighter than most, and I couldn't get it to work with sweeping curves any other way.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Various things have been going on, both on and off the layout. Now that the drier weather is coming to an end, I damp-proofed the brickwork and have patch reboarded the bottom of the wall in the railway room. I believe the house was once a show house, as the garage was plastered. But damp and black mould kept appearing, so I pulled some off revealing the DPC to be one course of bricks up from the floor slab, so discontinuous....

On the layout I have three identical mini boards drying after gluing together. They will form three different scenes above and behind the tunnel end. Plan is one will be a preservation site, one an older rail served industrial site, and the third possibly a scrap yard or wagon repairer. I can then choose what to play around with while supervising grandchildren on the mainlines....

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the mini-boards dropped in place. Access is from the depot entry/exit road/yard run around road, up a curving incline to run over the fiddle yard throats.

IMG_7589.JPG.3ca8b7231b395c8ae3bf4be278d514ba.JPG

A view into the servicing shed, further clutter required for sure....

IMG_7592.JPG.01a3a87cde913dfb0fcd9931aefe37f9.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress has been a bit slow recently, probably because I keep jumping between different bits and pieces....

Got around to fitting a few point levers around the yard, NG Brass straight ones, which have now been planted. Just need to be careful during track cleaning now, because they are pretty delicate. I have also reinstated the temporary backscene, just a pale blue affair at the moment, as can be seen in the view looking from the servicing point outgoing road, into the yard.

IMG_20211031_164011.jpg.7a14756516df48e8f798694b29fcfcf6.jpg

The Thame tanks appear to have got lost if they are heading south through here. Could have come this way when the Tesco tunnel collapsed at Gerrards Cross though, but that was a bit later...

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have been playing with weathering effects on some Dapol opens. These were obtained cheaply in 'Blaenavon' red originally. Sprayed grey with a rattle-can without removing the markings first. Then some spare decals added utilising the Johnson 'Klear' method, the keen eyed will note that they are actually for 16 tonners. Burnt Sienna oil colour was then crudely added and left for a day, before brushing with a white spirit dampened brush. This was followed by black and then rust enamel washes to add extra layers of grime. Hiding behind are some ex GWR and LMS grain hoppers that have had a similar treatment. Seems to work reasonably well, so more of the fleet to follow me thinks......

IMG_7718.JPG.0f221dfb70f8e58fe6150d6db8ef241f.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress has been a little slow recently, one weekend was taken up by a family pre-Christmas meet-up, then got wiped out after having the Covid booster last weekend.

Popped up to Railway Conducter near Weedon to purchase some brass tubing for some signals, also bought some 1mm diameter as well, just to try out. So having found that one strand off each LED fitted through the tubing, I spent some time making streetlamps, brass tube with a single LED out of the box in shot, one strand cut, soldered and bent. Really cheap to make, just need to extend the base/cables to reach through the baseboard now, I reckon £14 using two lengths of tubing and a box of LEDs, for 50 lights.

IMG_7746.JPG.9bfa5cd3c14fb2a250cff74737b8f733.JPG

A quick placement trial....

IMG_7734.JPG.377fedac9fdfe99788ee2ffb66cae0e7.JPG

Then the swapable tunnel cover boards have ballasted track and a bit of grass applied. The preservation site board in situ over the tunnel...

IMG_7733.JPG.134bb631f39503339e5ab34bd91b4a49.JPG

Then the other two with different track formations, one destined to be a rail served private site, the other a scrap yard.

IMG_7736.JPG.18f12d1c25506fd7d9462fa43ae9d1af.JPG

I may make another fiddle yard board, then I could use them off the main layout....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I decided the street lights needed more of a base, so a short length of 2mm brass tube has been added. This means the wire has to be extended with enameled wire, carefully soldered and insulated before the 2mm tube is soldered onto the 1mm tube. It gives them a little more height and more to plant into the baseboard (shown on the right).

Trying a slightly different approach, the twin-head light in the middle, destined for the platform, which has enameled wire through the tube and anodes soldered above the tube, with the cathodes soldered to the tube. Just need to now encasulate the wiring in something and add the 2mm tube base.

The little unit on the left is a red LED for fitting to a bufferstop, and behind a set of mileposts from N Brass Loco, which are MP48 onwards, which just happen to be about right for where Clayton Underwood would be, Quainton being MP 44.

IMG_7747.JPG.71b90aa85886a543e4db0dd56ececfde.JPG

Anyway, that is about it for this year I guess, as 4 grandchildren descend on us tomorrow.

So, Merry Christmas everyone, and here's to 2022.....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So the latest from 'The Covid Cave' aka 'The Railway Room' is a change to the backscene. I puchased a copy of Railwy Modeller just before Christamas which included two sheets of photo backscene in the bag. They looked quite a good representation of the area, but were too short. Covid hit, so I was fortunate enough to get wifey to pick up another copy of the mag, and after some experimentation I found that although the scene is repeated, the foreground obscures the most prominent features to make it less apparent. I was hoping the 'milder' version might give me more time to get some things done during my enforced isolation, but concentration and enthusiasm waned as the days passed.....

IMG_7748.JPG.9b960b50d88fd3345b1ee2437f7b6093.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG.3d3e4e4e68468427912fed32fbee19ce.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG.c895513fd28f576d7bbb9470158f1ea0.JPG

I think you'll agree, the backscene makes a huge difference?

Back to some bridgework now.....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

So this pair arrived today, a New Years Day bargain from Sheffield, a snip at £150 for two motorised bubble cars....

IMG_7755.JPG.f43998b1a304879935fdce0aa5b1a81d.JPG

Obviously a bit out of my time-frame, but I have a cunning plan.

Shall get them run and tested before any modifications commence though....

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The downside scenic break needed a bridge of some sorts, but what to go for? I decided on a GCR style bowstring girder type.

The one I was actually looking at is a skew one near Kingsey, between Princes Risborough and Thame on the GWR/GCR direct route, and readily viewable on Google streetview. GCR built similar around Leicester and Nottingham.

The real thing is quite a complex structure of girders and lattice hangers/crossbraces, mine is merely a hardboard deck with coffee shop stirrers and card strips. Early on to get the feel.

IMG_7751.JPG.e86f094a137145fa53367c00938d1317.JPG

Still some work to do, but after blow over with some primer. Not sure what colour the end product should be, currently it is green.

IMG_7756.JPG.2a376e25b5b603c741756687743bca4b.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG.652b9cf8cd7ab66c8275f37d22f53263.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The bowstring girder bridge is coming along, the brickwork added with coping stones, and a coat of primer. Road deck filled and sanded.

Still debating the colour, the strengthened current version is green, but I'm leaning towards weathering the grey for the 70s-80s period.

A little bit of filling required yet...

IMG_7774.JPG.3ed17b8fc7e61f94a6af0b86f2881e0d.JPG

Edited by Davexoc
Photo restored
  • Like 7