Newby Lane fuelling point.

Hi Everyone. 

Well after what has been a very difficult year or so I'm building a small fuelling point layout set around 1995ish.

The layout is basically a inglenook type layout with 2 roads for fuelling and a road for a TTA wagon or two to unload fuel.

It's loosely based on Barbers Bridge by Alan Monk as I have always liked it and wanted to build something to run my collection of diesels. 

Here is a photo of work so far:

20210622_163006.jpg.2adb5c72049ffebd691c1b2cbe37678a.jpg

Basically the track has been laid and a fuel discharge point is on far right bottom siding.

The portacabin may stay or I might replace it with a knightwing one, a knightwing fuelling point will be behind the class 33.

The is a 14 inch fiddle yard to the left and the whole lot measures about 41 inches by 12 inches. 

It's still in the very early stages and progress maybe slow as I have other commitments at the moment. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 18

Hi Jerry,

Yes, it has been a very difficult year, and for so many of us too :(
However, a good hobby can be a huge help, and a pleasant distraction as well as a creative outlet :) 

I always liked "Barber's Bridge" too. It's one of the layouts that helped inspire me to build Hendre Lane (all those years ago!).

Although I've been having something of a clear-out (and I really, really, really need to clear some more possessions / "stuff") I've been pondering building something very small - just to have a little project and a creative distraction myself. And funnily enough, I pondered something along the same lines....

You have made a good start sir - and yes, you really do need somewhere to run those diesels.
Best of luck with it. I will be watching with interest :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Everyone for your replies,  very kind and much appreciated. 

18 minutes ago, The Bandit said:

Great start Jerry. Your small layouts and dioramas were my inspiration to try my own micro layouts and box files.

Very nice of you to say so and I'm very happy you were inspired by them,  I have been inspired by modellers like Niel rushby, Marc Smith ( Hendre lane was a great layout ) and his small layouts, Steve1.

The layout is OO gauge ( forgot to mention  ) and I'm going to try a few different things with this one, white metal kits and hopefully it will have lighting too like yard lamps, buffer stop lights etc.

There will be some fuel tanks next to fuel discharge point, a waste oil tank, some other bits and bobs too.

Jerry. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks Everyone for your replies,  very kind and much appreciated...... 

....There will be some fuel tanks next to fuel discharge point, a waste oil tank, some other bits and bobs too.

Jerry. 

No problem @Jerry1975 - it's what RMweb is for - inspiration, help, guidance and feedback, and it's why I'm a huge fan of the forum, and all those like Andy Y, who put so much time & effort into running and maintaining it - where would I be without RMweb? :) 

Glad to hear you'll be adding some fuel tanks and other associated scenic items. It's all the paraphernalia & general "clutter" that help make a small layout more interesting IMO. 

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Everyone. 

I'm just waiting for some kits to arrive so I can progress with the layout. 

I don't usually do the ballasting until much later, I think it looks better and makes the buildings look like they are bedded in rather than sitting on top of ballast. 

I had a operating session this morning and all works very well which I'm pleased about.

More soon, 

Jerry 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Hi Everyone. 

I managed to prime the parts of the kit that arrived yesterday. It's the ratio fuel tanks kit and I have just started to paint the tanks an red colour. 

Here's a quick photo:

20210629_120252.jpg.46d89db7e0f77cab4d3d1ab264b3c3f0.jpg

The kit I got. 

20210629_134519.jpg.792470fd6d3e851a1be18327b369ffc0.jpg

The tanks aren't as bright as they look,  its a very light room. 

I'm awaiting some more kits in the post.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone. 

I have been busy building a scalescenes office kit, it went together really well I think it looks quite realistic. 

Here's a photo:

20210702_162337.jpg.9a69c486629a94f6c5ec3edb1004d477.jpg

It's a low relief building and has gone on the back of the layout at the end. 

Here's a photo of it in situ:

20210702_162401.jpg.6710933c2020772986fa43bad831b2dd.jpg

And another to show state of layout so far:

20210702_173323.jpg.b667089a09b95a3852f9fc5c75bfcccd.jpg

I'm also currently building a ratio fuel tanks kit and this will be added once complete. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Everyone. 

Managed a bit of work this morning and I have nearly finished the fuel tanks. 

I have added a wall around them and just need to finish them off.

Here is a photo:

20210704_120643.jpg.3be6f249b9b572b1cdbfb46573611891.jpg

Just need to add the rest of the fuel pipes etc, and the wall then weather them up a bit. 

Here is a photo of them on the layout:

20210704_120622.jpg.f3d23b38e81612756993dc581822e4ae.jpg

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Left a word out
  • Like 13

55 minutes ago, Andrew Cockburn said:

Looks a simple but still interesting concept, I look forward to seeing it develop further. :D

Thanks Andrew. 

It is a simple concept but I need something small and simple,  I didn't want anything complicated and it's just somewhere to run my small  ( but growing  ) collection of diesels. 

I also wanted to try different kits and techniques and so far I have been impressed with the scale model scenery kits. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Agree 1

I must confess, I prefer layouts which are small/compact/uncomplicated, not least for the fact that a lack of space prevents me from doing anything large-scale! But in all truth, I think that "micro" layouts can be just as much fun/interesting as large-scale projects, while they also hold several advantages, ie they can be assembled in a relatively quick timescale (not that I believe in rushing things), while they're also more "user friendly" and easier to maintain, ie far less can go wrong with a simple track plan, than one which incorporates several loops/ovals, and one hundred sets of points! Anyway, good luck with it, and as I said before, I look forward to seeing how the project progresses ....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I forgot to mention previously, I've only ever attempted a diesel depot-based layout once, and that was actually in N Gauge. I seem to recall the layout moved onto a new home (or did it get scrapped?) a while back, but attached is a photo showing the shed, fuelling point etc., hopefully it may provide a bit of inspiration for you.:D

Shiney Row Shed.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone. 

Thanks Andrew for photo.

I have finished the fuel tanks now except for weathering,  here's a quick photo:

20210706_122759.jpg.83388f771800de57d384fc162fc19149.jpg

They're not stuck down yet, so when I find my weathering powders I will weather them.

Next job is to build a pump house,  I might scratch build it.

More soon. 

Jerry.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, marc smith said:

@Andrew Cockburn- thanks for posting that pic of your old N gauge layout. I enjoyed seeing that too....Any more pics?

I was just going to ask the same question, as I'm looking for inspiration for a small Depot style layout to build, whilst I wait for our Clubs large N Gauge one to be completed.

Regards

Neal.

Really like small diesel depots or fuelling points as they do not take much space to create an interesting and operational layout. And they are great whilst building up a locomotive fleet, and getting to use them often.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Everyone for your replies and support,  much appreciated. 

I'm going to get some scalescenes industrial units for the back of the layout, they look quite good. 

8 hours ago, Nathaniel said:

Really like small diesel depots or fuelling points as they do not take much space to create an interesting and operational layout. And they are great whilst building up a locomotive fleet, and getting to use them often.

Me too.

I wanted a small,  uncomplicated layout to run my small collection of diesels and try a few new manufacturers, kits etc. 

Barbers bridge originally built by Tony Wood, was my inspiration, small,  simple and well executed. 

Jerry. 

• Like 3

The ScaleModelScenery office building is a great model of a brilliantly nondescript piece of architecture that fits in so well in so many locations! Depending upon your time frame, did you know you can embellish it further with working lights, air conditioning fans, CCTV cameras and suchlike from the same source? 

Scalescenes do a selection of older industrial buildings which can easily be adapted into low relief structures - are you perhaps refering to the ScaleModelScenery low relief (modern) industrial units, available as gable ends?

It is a little tricky that ScaleModelScenery have such a similar name to Scalescenes as both produce card based models - I try to refer to the former by their initials SMS to avoid confusion!

Having said all that, I hope I haven't come across as critical? I think your layout already has the right "look" and will follow to see where you take it.

Steve S

Thanks Steve. 

I have thought about lights etc for the buildings which is something I may consider once the main structures are built and the layout is a little further along. 

Hi Everyone. 

I have been busy today,  the fuel tanks are now finished,  the fuel discharge point is also finished and I made a pump house from a cut down ratio hut.

Here are some photos:

20210707_170748.jpg.7dc710e5625a0833ba033b777a0e76c7.jpg

Finished fuel tanks and pump house, do you think the the pump house looks ok or should be turned around the other way. 

20210707_163144.jpg.ea1435cfb7daad0ea3dce07c86f8e6a5.jpg

Finished fuel discharge point.

20210707_163303.jpg.dc5363a6d30a18e33696190a2569984d.jpg

Over view of layout, does the pump house look better this way?

Having a day off tomorrow. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 7