Newby Lane fuelling point.

Thanks Technic Arrow, I agree, it will look best facing the viewer.

I got given some plasticard sheets so I'm going to try and scratchbuild a fuelling point,  that's the next job.

More soon. 

Jerry 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone. 

A quick update today,  I been busy making a fuelling point from scratch, it's not quite finished yet but here is a photo:

20210711_171747.jpg.a3776907ab9b8f678135d4b611aa500a.jpg

Still hoses to add, a bit more detail and a figure.

20210711_170711.jpg.454edfb935ff9c857ad7c53508619533.jpg

Another view, also need to add some mesh either side of the fuelling point for drainage. 

The photos are a bit dark, I will try and get better ones. 

20210711_171611.jpg.9c984ffae8210e1c53f50ea8f29b961f.jpg

And placed on the layout. 

I'm going to order some scalescenes industrial units to add to the back of the layout. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Everyone. 

I have been having a bit of a rest taking it easy with a fishing trip, it was excellent and great to catch up with my brother, moving on to modelling, my Scale model scenery industrial units kit has arrived so I will be putting that together and I have a couple more kits in the post.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jerry, Good to see you posting again, I'm following this with interest. Excellent work! Here's my tip of the hat to Barber's Bridge, still a work in progress. I used the top of an Ikea Lack side table cut in half 55cm x 27.5cm. The two lane fiddle yard is made of two of the table legs 16" long.

20210716_084633.jpg

20210716_091512.jpg

Edited by Wallofsound!
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Everyone.

I have just finished the scale model scenery industrial units kit and its a great kit.

Here is a photo:

20210718_144744.jpg.a99876e6143cc42751c897bf060676de.jpg

And a view of it on the layout:

20210718_144725.jpg.7945f555141ede3f897aa84872ccff70.jpg

It might not stay in that position,  I have a few more to get/build yet.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 10

Thanks Nobby and Marc, very kind of you to say so.

Hi Everyone, just a quick update. 

I bought some industrial units of Ebay and they were quite cheap, they also don't look to bad.

Here is a quick photo:

20210720_080848.jpg.4755c699ef078e35fb736609ebf4a6f2.jpg

They will be added to the layout later when I'm down at our flat.

I may add a few little details to them too.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 9

Hi Everyone. 

I have added the buildings to the layout and scratchbuilt a small building to put at the end next to the office building.

Here is a quick photo:

20210720_164403.jpg.5409362091f2a1a834a3d13b616b5536.jpg

The little blue and black building is just a tester to see how it might look. 

None of the buildings are stuck down yet, this is so I can rearrange and swop them about until I think they look right.

I'm going to make a small paved area in front of the buildings,  there will be an over bridge with a arch at the side for vehicles to deliver/pick up goods etc.

Security fencing will then be put around the railway boundary. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 10

Looking good Jerry.
Definitely don't glue / fix any buildings in place just yet.

I tend to place a few wagons / tankers & locos on the track, do a bit of shuffling / shunting around, and tweak the positions of buildings several times, until I'm happy that main structures are in the "right" place. Sometimes, this may take a while until you're absolutely happy with everything. Sometimes a building looks fine where it is, and you move it, and Bingo - it just looks better in the new position. However, keep it like that for a short while, until everything else is in its' place too.

Often, the position of structures may be dictated to you - for example an over-bridge or the arch you mention for delivery vehicle access... Perhaps this may even need a taller structure adjacent to it, to disguise  the arch ending right against the background. And sometimes one building just looks "better" besides another than any other combination. What always seems to add interest to a scene though, is differing roof heights and profiles - to my mind, it tends to look natural.... and your choice of buildings is helping achieve this. Nice work Jerry - keep the photos coming :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Marc for your suggestions and kind words.

The Arch was going to be next to the bridge ( part of the same structure ) so vehicles would enter/exit using the arch, the trains the bridge.

I'm not sure about it yet, I may change the first two buildings for different ones to eliminate the need for road access. 

Any suggestions,  ideas are welcome. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Hi Everyone. 

For the scenic break I bought a superquick brick bridge kit, I'm currently building it up.

Here is a quick photo:20210722_164959.jpg.2fe518ac941831a02e2c155e9facf402.jpg

In the process of being built.

20210722_164938.jpg.2e90e79c031718ccdd2079a51b123a94.jpg

Overall view of how the layout looks so far. 

The two unit buildings nearest the bridge are going to be replaced with another,  this will look better as I won't have to put in road access. 

There will be palisade security fencing all around just in front of the buildings. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

The two unit buildings nearest the bridge are going to be replaced with another,  this will look better as I won't have to put in road access. 

If you haven't sourced the replacement yet you could always modify those two buildings look like the rear rather than the front - maybe access to a small, cluttered storage yard, rusty doors that probably haven't been opened for a while, an old forklift etc. I think they look quite good, the pitched roofs add a little variety to the "skyline".

Another possibility to think about is maybe angling them towards the track at the left-hand end a little - things are rarely all perfect right-angles in the real world. Slewing the bridge slightly might also help.

But overall your scene is certainly coming together, and it's great watching you build everything up!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jerry, the two buildings are very nice - be a shame to lose them from the layout, but you’re right that they would look out of place without road access (which would be difficult to do plausibly, as vans would need a turning circle).

Two options would be:

1.  Use them to help screen the fiddle yard at the front of the board but beyond the bridge?
2.  Widen the bridge and have them up top - make a change from the usual overpass / bus combination.

Just a thought, Keith.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 16/07/2021 at 08:49, Wallofsound! said:

Hi Jerry, Good to see you posting again, I'm following this with interest. Excellent work! Here's my tip of the hat to Barber's Bridge, still a work in progress. I used the top of an Ikea Lack side table cut in half 55cm x 27.5cm. The two lane fiddle yard is made of two of the table legs 16" long.

20210716_084633.jpg

20210716_091512.jpg

Absolutely love this little layout, and totally shows that no one has too little space for a "layout". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everyone. 

Thanks for all of your replies,  suggestions etc, very much appreciated. 

Technic Arrow:

I have got a building to replace the other two,  they don't look right to me access wise.

Keith:

I had thought about putting the buildings on top of the bridge, I like the idea of hiding the fiddle yard with them, the buildings certainly won't go to waste. 

The Bandit:

I will take more photos of the layout soon. 

Thanks 18B for your kind words.

I won't be working on the layout until Sunday as it's our wedding anniversary tomorrow,  7 years she's put up with me and my trains :D

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Everyone.

Today i managed to do a bit of work, not much as only had half an hour but I managed to put a pipe on the pump house and stuck the parapets on the other side of the bridge.

I Also moved the buildings and put them in front of fiddle yard to see how it looked. 

Here is a quick photo or two:

20210725_150458.jpg.0f0d37ac01d1f5b4703ea858bb4990b6.jpg

Pipe added to pump house. 

20210725_150444.jpg.05e0ce4048e5830e68f9eeb49bf914c0.jpg

Parapets stuck on other side of bridge. 

20210725_150649.jpg.037fd1e3a97f1d09190ea3e6ebeee522.jpg

Seeing How buildings would look in front of fiddle yard.

20210725_154946.jpg.b58e6269dde64d01f1282b19ccd2ec56.jpg

Overall view of the layout so far. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 9

Hi again Jerry,
This layout is coming together very nicely. I think those industrial buildings look "at home".

The only thing I think I might consider changing is the bridge. It looks fine there, and provides a good scenic break
But to my eye, it's maybe just a tad too large, and perhaps just "dominates" a little? - Of course, these are just my own thoughts, and it could be that once everything is weathered and "bedded in" to the scenery, that changes anyway....

When I'm at the scenery stage of a layout build, I like to ensure that I continue a bit of ballasting and ground surfaces into the fiddle yard area. This is mainly so that onlookers don't see bare wood when watching a train enter or leave the scenic area. To my way of thinking it helps the transition between scenic and non-scenic areas of the layout. I'm interested to see what you intend to do with this "transition" between fiddle + scenic areas.

Personally, I tend to think a smaller archway would restrict onlookers from seeing directly into the fiddle yard. There are other ways of tackling this, of course; You could include a road access under the bridge, in front of the line and park a big lorry there. Perhaps even a tallish fence between road and railway, to "protect" road traffic? If this were my project, I might even think about a dummy end of headshunt, overgrown & rusty or with a wagon / van parked permanently on it, again to reduce the area where onlookers can see into the fiddle yard....

As I say Jerry - these are just some of my thoughts. This is definitely going to be a great layout though, whatever you decide on
Keep up the good work - I can't wait to see it finished :) 

Edited by marc smith
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1