Newby Lane fuelling point.

Looking better all the time @Jerry1975

The Warehouses concealing the fiddle area work well, and they give you the opportunity to add a few more little details, and perhaps even a little cameo scene. In the background, those different roof profiles and building colours work well too - it's got a natural look and composition to it.

There's plenty for the observer to look at, and further scope for more fine details, all of which will add interest. But there's plenty of space within the whole scene too. I think this is your best yet Jerry. And what's more - I think it will improve as you add details and figures etc.

Nice one good sir, and I hope the modelling is helping take your mind off your Dad's health issues
Railway modelling can really help - even if only for a short time.... it can really help to do something creative & satisfying

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Marc for your kind reply and support,  much appreciated. 

I'm going to have a marathon modelling session this evening as I will be on my own. 

Ballasting will be the next job, finishing the scratchbuilt fuelling point and walkways and any other bits if I have time.

Thanks to Everyone for your replies and support,  suggestions etc.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone. 

I managed to do some modelling after tea and made myself a fuelling point totally from scratch. 

Here is a photo:

20210823_195308.jpg.ae284c2a62b03a4146b484e0d1731cc6.jpg

During construction. 

20210823_200829.jpg.d6baded585d62393284d5b9e154b8d58.jpg

Finished and on the layout. 

I'm quite pleased how it turned out,  made from plasticard and solder painted black for the hoses, metcalfe paving for the edges. 

Took a bit longer than I thought but worth it.

Next job is finished walkways. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Just had electrician around to do a safer check etc, he went and knocked my buildings clean of the layout even though I had moved it out of the way :angry:.

Anyway not to much damage,  should be easy enough to fix, just annoying. 

Also, latest video update:

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Video added
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks Mbenson.

Next job is ballasting. 

Jerry. 

Hi again Jerry,

Ah ballasting is so often one of my least favourite bits of railway modelling. I always start off full of energy and enthusiasm.... and then it wanes! lol

I would say, use as fine a ballast as you can. To my eye, ballast can look overscale. I tend to use 4mm ballast on 7mm layouts, and N gauge ballast on OO / 4mm. In fact, I'd use something finer still, if you can. For Hendre lane, I can recall mixing some fine dust particles, mixed with N gauge ballast. Perhaps even with some dried tea leaves (that wasn't particularly a good move at home - "er, why have we got tealeaves on pots on window sills & radiators......... darling? - lol)

Much of my ground surface in yards (and even areas around & under the track) has been textured paint. Don't worry if it's not quite the right colour of grey - I use emulsion match-pots to tone it all down. Oh,  and there'll be lots of oily, grimy, dirty ballast in a depot too. Oh how I enjoy muckying things up. What on earth a Psychologist would make of half an hour with me, well I hope we'll never know ;) 

PS. You can also use emulsion paint, with some very fine sand sieved into it. Some folk use Chinchilla dust as ballast too - might be worth seeing how fine that is. Best of luck with it mate - maybe do a little at a time, if it gets a bit monotonous?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Marc.

I don't mind ballasting,  not my favourite job though. 

I tend to use N gauge ballast for oo gauge and dirty it up with oil stains, dirt etc mainly from thinned paint, weathering powders and such.

I'm currently trying to find close up photos of fuelling points showing the track etc.

Jerry. 

Well I am daft, I was all set to do some ballasting but I forgot to bring the ballast.

So, instead I made a used oil tank, dirtied up the concrete and weathered it and added some drains.

I will post a photo later,  more soon. 

Jerry. 

• Funny 1

Hi Everyone. 

Just a quick update of what I've been upto today. 

I concentrated on the right hand end of the layout and made a start on ballasting. 

Here is a couple of photos:

20210828_163657.jpg.86821fb7d512ca423013892ce5c792a8.jpg

Ballasting commenced. 

20210828_163741.jpg.91a44e5439076e75a29b84da8194ed45.jpg

Close up of waste/used oil tank 

I will finish the ballasting of tomorrow to monday.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 11

On 28/08/2021 at 23:28, Andrew Cockburn said:

I think this has come on really well, well done!:good_mini:

Thanks Andrew.

Hopefully I will be able to get some more done now the bank holiday is almost over ( out with family today ).

Jerry. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Looking good Jerry.  One small point re the fuel storage tanks on the left of the layout.  Unless your 4mm scale people are good at the high jump, there should be a means of them getting over the wall (bund) which surrounds the tanks.  I'm not sure whether this was normally achieved via steps or a ladder, but facilities would presumably be needed on both sides of the bund.  Just a suggestion.  Feel free to ignore.

Yes,  I have actually fitted a ladder to the fuel tanks,  the figures were horrified that one wasn't provided,  a slip up of the management. 

I will post a more up to date photo soon. 

Jerry. 

• Funny 1

Hi Everyone. 

I managed an hour with the layout today, I added a ladder and step to the fuel tanks,  done a bit more ballasting and added a figure. 

Here are a couple of photos:

20210901_203745.jpg.a9d7c0981a37856a715549731552d0d4.jpg

Fuel tanks with ladder/steps fitted 

20210901_202542.jpg.8540c1408018ca90d4033c4a53b02fde.jpg

Overview of the layout. 

I need to add railings to the steps,  finish ballasting and then weather the ballast.

More soon. 

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Spelling mistake
  • Like 6

Hi Everyone. 

Just a quick video of a class 03 taking a tanker of the fuel discharge point. 

The 03 is not the best runner.

The layout will have to go into storage soon as due to unforeseen circumstances ( yet again  ) the wife and I are moving to my mother in laws so building the layout will be difficult. 

Hopefully I will get the chance to do some more to it.

Jerry. 

Edited by Jerry1975
Wrong video was posted
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 10/09/2021 at 13:52, Kevin Johnson said:

Jerry nice video of the class 03 at work, the layout is looking very good.

Thanks Kevin, I'm going to do a bit more work on it today before I have to put it in storage.

Hi Everyone. 

Sorry I haven't posted for a while,  life etc gets in the way. 

As previously mentioned,  I'm going to do a bit of work on the layout today and try and get as much as I can done before I put in storage, hopefully finish all the ballasting and some more details will be added. 

More soon. 

Jerry. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4