EPM turbotrain

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

After quite a wait for my order I've finally got my hands on the EPM turbotrain. It's a very impressive model, well worth the wait (not to mention the considerable VAT I had

to pay to import it):

turbo1.jpg.5fddc888885784caa4b184d508458fd8.jpg

turbo2.jpg.0a533864ec5a7e7bf7e6718308efd5e4.jpg

turbo3.jpg.44dd87be256db4db4926f80793975f3c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Looks a nice model. I travelled on these a few times; St Lazare to Caen, Gare du Nord to Boulogne Aeroglisseurs. Very comfortable. They were very noisy, though; when visiting the southern Beaujolais, we'd hear them about five minutes before they passed the house.

I assume by southern Beaujolais, you mean the area close to Tarare / Amplepuis. If so then I'm not surprised as the that is the Lyon - Roanne line traversed by Lyon - Bordeaux RTGs, one of the most steeply graded in France (the legendary Rampe des Sauvages )

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gordonwis said:

I assume by southern Beaujolais, you mean the area close to Tarare / Amplepuis. If so then I'm not surprised as the that is the Lyon - Roanne line traversed by Lyon - Bordeaux RTGs, one of the most steeply graded in France (the legendary Rampe des Sauvages )

It's the next valley up, that of the Azergues, which is almost as steep, and has a helix (partially in tunnel) to gain height. These days, it's a single track, lightly-trafficked, but when I first went to the area in 1976, there was quite a lot of freight traffic, along with longer-distance passenger trains

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/06/2021 at 17:22, Fat Controller said:

It's the next valley up, that of the Azergues, which is almost as steep, and has a helix (partially in tunnel) to gain height. These days, it's a single track, lightly-trafficked, but when I first went to the area in 1976, there was quite a lot of freight traffic, along with longer-distance passenger trains

I'm very familiar with the Azergues line and Claveisolles spiral tunnel, but AFAIK the RTG Turbotrains never went that way though, hence why I thought you were referring to the Sauvages.