TINGS 2021- a go go !!!

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Hi all announced today tickets on sale for show >

Tickets are now on sale for the International N Gauge Show on the 11th & 12th September. To book tickets follow this link.

https://www.meridienneexhibitions.co.uk/events/the-international-n-gauge-show/visit

Pre booking only no on the day cash sales at this time.  Also advised that cash machine has been retired ! 

I look forward to seeing many of you as I will be stewarding and even if wet will be sent to welcome you, oh the joys of N gauge ! 

Robert  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've never been to TINGS but it's on my bucket list,

so this could be the year to tick it off.

This is probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question,

but is one day enough, or are two days needed to see it all?

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, rab said:

Hi check out the link page for layouts and traders and see what takes your fancy.  I know folk who list what they want to see and ignore the rest - they might miss a lightbulb moment but that is their choice. Folk and whizz round in 4 hours and then go back  to dip in.    Sadly the days of massive pile of bargains are not what what they used to be - with caveat that a years   worth could have built up of course so Saturday could be a bit fun around discounted stalls but Sunday is often quieter so if getting the illusive holy grail bargain is not your thing then Sunday could be best  and come one hour after opening time and spend the day / 15.00 should give you a good strike at best viewing and trade access.          

Given  this being first show for a while then how the visitors act and react in regard to  Cov 19 this is a bit ground breaking and will be a learning curve for all. Some have said, 2 jabs cannot wait others also two jabs to early / not sure.    But hope to see you at the show.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, rab said:

For me it’s definitely a one day show. I like it, but if you’re expecting something on the scale of Warley you’ll be sorely disappointed. It’s more akin to some of the ‘regional’ shows in size, but all N gauge, obviously!

Can’t wait for this year though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find one day enough to see everything with enough time to have an early brunch up in the cafe, a cup of coffee later in the day and possibly an ice cream from the van outside! A nice enjoyable low stress show particularly on the Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society celebrate the return of model railway exhibitions by launching a special wagon project raising funds in support of their local Myton Hospices group based in Warwick. During lockdown the N Gauge group of the club decided to support the fund raising efforts of a member, in memory of his wife, by financing the manufacture of the limited edition wagon in both N and OO scales from Dapol.

The wagon project will be launched at ‘The International N Gauge Show’ at the Warwickshire Event Centre on Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th September 2021. Wagons will also be available for collection from the club stand at the ‘Great British Model Railway Show’ on Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st October 2021 at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon and also on the club stand at Warley. To secure a wagon in advance, for collection at one of these shows, please email your requirements to myton-wagon@lwmrs.co.uk.

Please note that exhibition dates quoted and our participation are subject to changes of government COVID-19 restrictions and wagons are subject to stock availability. The design image is intended to provide an indication of colour and the wagon side lettering only.

www.lwmrs.co.uk

events@lwmrs.co.uk

Myton Hospice Wagon.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just received this email from Meridienne regarding TINGS 2021:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------- Original message --------

Date: 16/08/2021 13:40 (GMT+00:00)

To: nealdmansell@btinternet.com

Subject: International N Gauge Show COVID update

Good Afternoon Neal,

I wanted to contact you to confirm that the International N Gauge Show in just under 4 weeks’ time is definitely going ahead as planned and we have every confidence that this is fully achievable. 

We are aware that the Warley Show has recently announced the cancellation of its November Show at the NEC.

This has caused some minor ripples for our N Gauge Show and we would like to explain why we remain confident that we can deliver, when you are seeing other events later in the year cancelled for various reasons.

We are now within touching distance of the event which takes place in just under 4 weeks’ time and all our plans are fully in place. As you will be aware, the country is currently in Step 4 of the Government Covid Recovery Plan, pandemic response and the environment remain stable with no immediate plans for government change.

Like other organisers, whilst we are confident in our ability to deliver events right now i.e., during the summer/autumn months, the same cannot be said for later on in autumn/winter when the uncertainties of what Covid might look like, may well impact on the event industry forcing organisers to postpone or cancel events. For this reason, you may be aware that we have already cancelled some of our own events due to take place in October/November since it is impossible to plan for an event when quite simply your crystal ball is broken.

We want to make sure that you have full peace of mind for yourself and your team when attending N Gauge, so please rest assured we have followed government guidance and have all the necessary COVID-19 measures in place including:

·         Face coverings: visitors are encouraged to wear a face covering during their visit unless exempt.

·         Hand sanitising: stations are available throughout the venue

·         Practise social distancing: visitors are encouraged to keep a safe and comfortable distance apart - our gangways have been widened to permit this.

·         Contactless transactions: are preferred, making your visit as contactless as possible.

·         Advanced cleaning and hygiene protocols: remain in place.

·         Continuous fresh air ventilation: newly installed ventilation system supplemented by natural air ventilation throughout the venue.

·         Check-in at the WEC - NHS QR CODE: for visitors wishing to use the app

We have updated our website www.ngaugeshow.co.uk with the requirements for our visitors as well as Facebook posts.

The attached full document is also available at www.warwickshireeventcentre.co.uk and all can access it.

We hope this gives you the full confidence that you can come along and enjoy getting back to business as normal in a safe and controlled environment.

As always, any queries please do not hesitate to contact me. I and the team look forward to seeing you all again in just a few weeks’ time.

Kind regards

Avril

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards

Neal.

COVID-19_Response_-_Fully Open web version.pdf

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I am looking forward to being there, as this year's novelty, not-quite-n-gauge layout.

I have to say the cafe there is excellent for breakfast and lunch.

As befits an N gauge show, trade support for our scales is normally better than at any other show, but bring cash as the cashpoint charges, and mobile signal is poor, so traders have problems accepting plastic.

Just hope Boris does not have to pull the plug in the next few weeks.

I've booked my ticket for the Saturday, it'll be the first exhibition I've done since the Leamington and Warwick MRS Exhibition just before lockdown in 2020.  I'm not planning on spending big (famous last words) but it should be good to see all the layouts and trade stalls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

I am looking forward to being there, as this year's novelty, not-quite-n-gauge layout.

I have to say the cafe there is excellent for breakfast and lunch.

As befits an N gauge show, trade support for our scales is normally better than at any other show, but bring cash as the cashpoint charges, and mobile signal is poor, so traders have problems accepting plastic.

Just hope Boris does not have to pull the plug in the next few weeks.

There is now no cashpoint there as it was removed at the end of 2019. Personally i always found it an odd thing to do as it always ran out of money halfway through the saturday!

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

There is now no cashpoint there as it was removed at the end of 2019.

So its back to traders waving their card readers in the air in the carpark trying to get a signal.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The cashpoint machine was well past its date and fees for a new machine would have rendered it totally redundant.  Two new  boosters in the hall along with the original one should help coverage so hopefully less of the carpark jig required but with the whole area reliant on not much of a BT cabling network the show sucks it dry.  

I think you will find some form of forced air ventilation has been fitted during closedown period so air flow improved. 

See you all Saturday and some on buildup Friday. 

Robert 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The N Gauge group of the Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society are relieved that the N gauge version of our  wagon project raising funds in support of our local Myton Hospices group were received from Dapol this week and will be on sale at £14 from the club stand (S) at the exhibition. We will be able to accept contactless  card payments (preferred) or cash. If you are unable to attend TINGS this weekend you can still secure an example of the wagon, please email your requirements to myton-wagon@lwmrs.co.uk.

Any residual stock and the OO example of the wagon will be available from the club stand at the ‘Great British Model Railway Show’ at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon in October. To secure a OO wagon in advance, please email your requirements to myton-wagon@lwmrs.co.uk.

Please note that exhibition dates quoted and our participation are subject to changes of government COVID-19 restrictions and wagons are subject to stock availability. 

We are very much looking forward to meeting everybody again this weekend.

20210909_195810.jpg

Edited by LWMRSNews
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

This might be a little contentious, but I'm starting to feel that TINGS is loosing its way as the UK premier international N gauge/scale show. It was disappointing (perhaps some of it due to covid) that there were some manufacturers and service providers missing (or who have never attended) like Peco, Kato, Union Mills, Mercig and DMToys/Modellbahn Union. And I appreciate that there will be various reasons and excuses for that. But it does also seem to becoming a RTR fest for box shifters at the expense of parts and spares sellers.

There were three things I was particularly hoping to pick up - NGS 5'6" plate-back bogies, Peco 10ft wheelbase steel chassis and Dapol or Parkside 12ft wagon chassis - but I couldn't find any on sale. I might just have been unlucky (although one stand did comment that I wasn't the first to ask for that) and not come across them but I'll now have to mail order and that is potentially where the future lies, which could be a problem for future exhibitions.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy my day at TINGS and there were plenty of layouts to see (I've posted some pics of some above) as well as traders stands to keep one occupied and entertained. Traders like BHE, Osborns, Plus Daughters and N Brass Loco are very welcome with their range of bits and kits. And judging by the scrum around the second-hand stall there were plenty looking for bargains.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grahame said:

This might be a little contentious, but I'm starting to feel that TINGS is loosing its way as the UK premier international N gauge/scale show. It was disappointing (perhaps some of it due to covid) that there were some manufacturers and service providers missing (or who have never attended) like Peco, Kato, Union Mills, Mercig and DMToys/Modellbahn Union. And I appreciate that there will be various reasons and excuses for that. But it does also seem to becoming a RTR fest for box shifters at the expense of parts and spares sellers.

There were three things I was particularly hoping to pick up - NGS 5'6" plate-back bogies, Peco 10ft wheelbase steel chassis and Dapol or Parkside 12ft wagon chassis - but I couldn't find any on sale. I might just have been unlucky (although one stand did comment that I wasn't the first to ask for that) and not come across them but I'll now have to mail order and that is potentially where the future lies, which could be a problem for future exhibitions.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy my day at TINGS and there were plenty of layouts to see (I've posted some pics of some above) as well as traders stands to keep one occupied and entertained. Traders like BHE, Osborns, Plus Daughters and N Brass Loco are very welcome with their range of bits and kits. And judging by the scrum around the second-hand stall there were plenty looking for bargains.

Avoided TINGS this year, 3 hours of mask wearing is not conducive to enjoying myself.

Anything kit based with wheels/underframe  has a high probably of having limited or no supply - its not a recent issue and not something which was likely to be fixed by it being TINGS. As an exhibition it is always been a bit up and down; 2018 was a bit variable but 2019 was more consistent. As for the returns/seconds, I know may who can only afford locos at these prices. 

13 minutes ago, Bomag said:

As for the returns/seconds, I know may who can only afford locos at these prices. 

Kits (and scratch-building) tends to be cheaper than RTR models for those with limited funds/unable to afford.

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, grahame said:

None of these traders is, as far as I am aware, banned from taking a stand, it's just that they have made a commercial decision not to. A good example would be Union Mills - a one-man-band based on the Isle of Man. That's roughly £150 in fuel, £250 in ferry costs, £150 in hotels - £550 plus the cost of his stand. Chuck in a few other expenses, such as food, and even if he does it without paying himself, that's £1000 spent over the weekend. Or an awful lot of modestly priced locomotives to sell just to break even.

Modellbahn Union have attended in the past, but the trip from Germany (at least for some of them) will be problematic right now. As I recall, Kato appeared on their stand too.

Peco attend very few shows apart from Warley and the rest - well there is a pandemic on and there are other factors beyond pure economics. Some will have decided spending a weekend being breathed on by all unsundry isn't something they feel they want right now. I'm told there was very little mask wearing on Saturday. Sunday was better, but by no means universal.

I don't think you can read anything into 2021 at all. This is an experiment - plenty of visitors gave it a miss, which will have affected the economics - for Covid reasons.

Overall view.jpg

As it was, there were wide aisles, but still plenty of crowding around layouts and trade stands. Ventilation has been upgraded with big fans in the roof moving air, and the side loading doors open. Seats were available outside so you could get a break in the fresh air.

Talking to the organisers, trade space was much in demand for TINGS, which is why it went ahead, unlike the ME and Model Boat shows later in the year. Ultimately though, this is a commercial show. It has to make money, and pay peoples wages. Maybe the solution is for a "purer" show put on by unpaid enthusiasts whose one and only aim is to showcase N gauge - with no consideration for costs or profits. To be honest though, that would only reduce the stand rent - all the other costs of attending would still be there unless the organisers decided to subsidise some of the trade to persuade them to attend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1