Unknown 1970s DMU railtour - Forest of Dean?

• RMweb Premium

A friend has posted this image on Flickr which he acquired recently and is trying to identify the location. The headboard on the DMU reads "Dean Forest Railway Severnside Tour" but he can find no other details. He has another photo of the same tour at Sharpness. 

There is nothing on Six Bells and other online searches have drawn a blank. I would suggest it's probably some time in the 1970s.

If anyone is able to assist, he would be very grateful. I have his permission to post the image here.

Seeking information: mystery rail tour from another age: take 1

Doesn't look like the Forest of Dean to me  - Gloucester Docks sounds more plausible.  Does the Dean Forest Railway in the title imply it was run for the preservation group that was still just a pokey little siding at Parkend back then, as BR still ran loaded coal wagons from Parkend?   The link in Simon's suggestion says it was the Branch Line Society - but of course it could have been run jointly.  Sixbells lists that tour as 

Bristol Temple Meads - Patchway - Severn Tunnel Junction - Sudbrook (Post Office Crossing) - Caldicot Jn - Caerwent (Dinham Factory...subject to MoD permission) - Tintern Quarry - Chepstow - Parkend - Lydney - Over Jn - Gloucester Docks (Llanthony) - Over Jn - Horton Road Jn - California Crossing - Docks (High Orchard) - Gloucester Eastgate - Tuffley Jn - Hempsted Docks - Gloucester Eastgate - Cheltenham - Gloucester South Jn - Dursley - Coaley - Sharpness Docks - Berkeley Road - Stoke Gifford - Filton Jn - Bristol Temple Meads

If it is the same trip, perhaps they moved the headboard to the other end of the unit every time the set reversed?  It's only a sheet of paper, presumably secured with sticky tape or blue tack.

• Thanks 1

On 25/06/2021 at 15:05, drjcontroller said:

A friend has posted this image on Flickr which he acquired recently and is trying to identify the location. The headboard on the DMU reads "Dean Forest Railway Severnside Tour" but he can find no other details. He has another photo of the same tour at Sharpness. 

There is nothing on Six Bells and other online searches have drawn a blank. I would suggest it's probably some time in the 1970s.

If anyone is able to assist, he would be very grateful. I have his permission to post the image here.

Seeking information: mystery rail tour from another age: take 1

A photo taken from the other end of this GRCW class 119 DMU with a similar notice on the centre windscreen in place (notices on both ends?), appears in the excellent Lightmoor Press book - British Railway History in Colour Volume 4A - Gloucester Midland Lines Part 2: South Eastgate to Stroud and Nailsworth. The location is High Orchard sidings - the brick building is the old GRCW building and the new one under construction, a new assembly hall for Fielding and Platt. The photo in the book is not light adjusted unlike, seemingly, the one posted - there’s a wall light on the GRCW building illuminated and very apparent in the picture in the book which shows the failing light. The photo was taken on 10th October 1970, and the caption states it was towards the end of the rail tour, which was to visit Sharpness after this - before returning to Newport via the Severn Tunnel.

There is another photo of this rail tour and of a ticket for it in the Gloucester and Wye Valley Lines book in the same series - if anyone has that? A Dean Forest  Railway PS tour. 

It seems unlikely that on the itinerary posted above, if it is this tour it could have been completed in daylight - perhaps there was more than one tour? 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

First of all, my apologies for the late response to all the replies, had to go away for a few days with no/minimal access to t'internet.

Thanks for all your suggestions, especially MidlandRed for the confirmation of the exact location, my friend will be very pleased.

The knowledge of the RMweb members is truly astonishing!

Once again, many thanks

Douglas