BR Borail EB/EC ‘fishbelly’ flat wagons, and air-braked YLA Mullet, YQA Parr and YQA Super Tench OO and N gauge

Kris

A slightly unusual traffic for the early vacuum-braked type ran from the goods depot at Cambridge to the ferry ports at Fishguard and Holyhead; second-hand tractors for the Irish market. It's mentioned in 'Railfreight since 1968; wagonload' by Paul Shannon' Not sure how long the traffic lasted.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

A slightly unusual traffic for the early vacuum-braked type ran from the goods depot at Cambridge to the ferry ports at Fishguard and Holyhead; second-hand tractors for the Irish market. It's mentioned in 'Railfreight since 1968; wagonload' by Paul Shannon' Not sure how long the traffic lasted.

Hello Brian,

Thanks for that - I have that book but had missed the information!  I just checked and as well as the tractors, it says BRV Borails were used for ordnance containers to Donnington and various vehicles, which were also conveyed on OLV, PFB and PFV flats.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Ben/Mike,

Superb announcement of a very useful and long lived wagon. A rake of these will be perfect for Plumpton working to and from Workington.

The fact they are still seen today with all sorts of traction in various engineers workings makes them even more interesting. Theyve worked as far north as Georgemas junction on the pipe trains in EWS/DB use too. 

I hope this is another successful choice.

All the best

Mark

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

Great news, particularly as this is a wagon you could just buy one or two of to add to an existing train, as I will to run with my falcons.

A much needed break from the need to spend hundreds of pounds in one go whenever a new rake of wagons are available to pre-order.

David 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

At last, for once, my pre-planning has come to fruition, all those Oxford tractors I've accrued over the years will now have a home!

Mike.

• Funny 1

Oooohh hellooooo!

Tench and mullet right up my street, whilst not a Falcon or a Coalfish in commonality terms, I see them most weeks at work so count me in for a few.

The Super Tench modules also appear on ex FGA Freightliner flats and FCA container flats, so could be a useful bit of research for future models!

Looking forward to these, some very modellable consists with these wagons.

Jo

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, guzzler17 said:

And there's me with a pile of unmade N Gauge Society kits.

Will have to see how much Revolution will be asking for ready to run before deciding how to proceed.

It’s certainly an interesting announcement given that this wagon already exists in kit form from the N Gauge Society with which both @Ben A and @red death are involved. I seem to remember reading something a while back from the Revolution team (maybe it was in connection with the Shark Van) that they wouldn’t take on a RTR prototype for which an N Gauge Society kit existed. Having said that, the Super Tench version of this wagon isn’t covered by the NGS kit so there are new sale opportunities there.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The N soc kit does make up well as an original Borail but to go down the road  of a Parr etc with tie down strap pockets is quite achievable and fitting ATM Y25 bogies  the cutting of the pockets and adding rod for ratchet straps is  a bit fiddly on a 8/10 scale rating !   So a tool and moulding  will make life easier for many.   I look forward to a load of rails to suit and these being available as an accessory pack.    I recall there are 3D printed sleeper packs in N and finetrak concrete sleeper units could be used to load a Parr. 

Robert 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ben

Many congratulations on this welcome announcement and we hope it will be a great success for you all.

Although the Borail came in as Low Polling in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 (our last 'main' Poll), I suspect that may have something to do with the fact  that we only mentioned the Mullets and Parrs in The Guide as possible 'spin offs'. This was due to lack of space for individual listings.

I'm fairly certain that - had they been listed under General Railway Service: On-track Plant - they would have come in higher up the ladder.

Speaking personally, as a BR era modeller, I will welcome the Borail to my layout as soon as you get them to market!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

I seem to remember reading something a while back from the Revolution team (maybe it was in connection with the Shark Van) that they wouldn’t take on a RTR prototype for which an N Gauge Society kit existed. Having said that, the Super Tench version of this wagon isn’t covered by the NGS kit so there are new sale opportunities there.

Hi there,

It's a good point, but I guess that the reality is that going forward, especially as we are increasingly offering both 00 and N in any given prototype, there is going to be some crossover.  FWIW I did as a courtesy let the NGS shopkeeper know about this offering before we made it public.

And, as you rightly say, the Super Tench is not easily produced from the NGS kit.

cheers

Ben A. (now Revolution Ben!!)

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, guzzler17 said:

And there's me with a pile of unmade N Gauge Society kits.

Will have to see how much Revolution will be asking for ready to run before deciding how to proceed.

We are expecting the N gauge version to go on sale late next week with the price around £35 per wagon with a discount for EarlyBird orders. 

The 4mm version will follow a week or two later.  

Cheers Mike

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Another great choice of wagon, I'll certainly be ordering some of the early Bo-Rails as soon as the books open.

Who would have thought even ten years ago that we would see the selection of PW wagons we now have in N. With the EFE Shark and Mermaid, more Dapol Dogfish to come (with NEM pockets this time) and also more of their Grampus on the way it is only a shame that Farish will not be persuaded to produce more Seacows!

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

3 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

It's a good point, but I guess that the reality is that going forward, especially as we are increasingly offering both 00 and N in any given prototype, there is going to be some crossover.  FWIW I did as a courtesy let the NGS shopkeeper know about this offering before we made it public.

And, as you rightly say, the Super Tench is not easily produced from the NGS kit.

cheers

Ben A. (now Revolution Ben!!)

Hi Ben, I'm just wondering what the reason was for letting the NGS shopkeeper know about this release?  Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, theplasticbrummy said:

Hi Ben, I'm just wondering what the reason was for letting the NGS shopkeeper know about this release?  Cheers, Andy.

HI there,

I noticed the other day that stock levels of the NGS kits were low, so it seemed reasonable to give the shopkeeper a heads up so he could make an informed choice when it came to restocking.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

HI there,

I noticed the other day that stock levels of the NGS kits were low, so it seemed reasonable to give the shopkeeper a heads up so he could make an informed choice when it came to restocking.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, I'm sure the shop keeper appreciated the heads up and hopefully the society will make an informed decision to restock the BoRail kit for the benefit of its members.  Much like the very nice Salmon kit and Osprey conversion, it makes into a nice wagon.  It would be a crying shame if the NGS BoRail were to go the same way as  the Cartic4.  

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 3