BR Borail EB/EC ‘fishbelly’ flat wagons, and air-braked YLA Mullet, YQA Parr and YQA Super Tench OO and N gauge

Kris

22 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Great to see the 00 order book now open. 3 packs of yellow wagons duly ordered

Also pleased about this, a pair of super tenches ordered. Are the normal YQA parrs still about too, struggling to find a recent pic of one on Flickr?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Also pleased about this, a pair of super tenches ordered. Are the normal YQA parrs still about too, struggling to find a recent pic of one on Flickr?

Had similar with the super trenches tbh or photos of them anything other than singles in train. 

3 minutes ago, Pegleg90 said:

Had similar with the super trenches tbh or photos of them anything other than singles in train. 

Yeah they tend to be singles or maybe two in a train of ballast/spoil/track wagons for what I can see. I am going to run one or both of them with JNA Falcons and MHAs.

I've not seen a Parr in active service ages, new sleepers seem to be on Salmon or in bass (or on KRAs if used with the NTC machine), though that's not to say they're not used in other parts of the country.

Tench are used for carrying loose odd bits and pieces, like part of an old point, some short rails for recycling, timbers etc. You may often see them in pairs as the modules that were on the FJA tenches (ex Freightliner flats) are now on FCA twins, but the solo YQA Tench are still about. 

Of course if you want to run the wagons but don't need an accurate consist for a train to or from a worksite, the network trips (such as 6O41, 6M50, 6O26, 6K05 etc) between the LDCs can produce a right mix of wagons, basically whatever NR need moving that day.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 3

On 17/07/2021 at 14:31, Revolution Mike said:

Also in terms of how they were and are used they’ve been a mixture of block trains and handfuls mixed in with other freight/engineers stock. 

Have you produced a guide as per some of your other projects showing typical formations?  I quite like these.

I also note that the Mullet's are being offered in EWS livery.  Did many carry this livery as most modern photographs that I've seen seem to still be in yellow?

For anyone wanting to load up these wagons, I found this document on the Network Rail website, which gives the loading arrangements for loading a variety of infrastructure wagons including the Mullets with beams and different types of rail.  It might be of use to anyone wanting an authentic load.

https://safety.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Loading-Pattern-Combined.pdf

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Some of my own research for these wagons has been scrolling through Flickr for hours, not my favourite past time but non the less a fruitful one. As @Steadfast says with engineers trains there is no set consist just a thrown together mix which is a lovely ability to use whatever you want within reason…

I've found that the YQA SuperTench have run in pairs, and still quite recently 23-10-2018. 

DC967638 YQA PARR 231018

I struggled to find many YQA ‘Parr’ wagons in use recently, the best I could do with it in use and not just sat around a yard was this find, this is 11-04-2012 and I found a few from around this period but then a sudden stop in use?

The Point Handle Points the Way > Warrington and Beyond !

With the YLA ‘Mullet’ I did think I would have some trouble but a search brought up this cracking working, ideal for modelling as it’s a short’ish working and with some interesting traction! Taken 20-01-2019.

37219 & 175 (t&t) Bushey 200119 (6C37)

Unfortunately for those after the BRA/BRV’s they are way out of my era and I wouldn’t be sure what dates to look out for. So apologies to anyone looking for inspiration on those ones!

Hope this helps all!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There's a lack of info online, but assuming (dangerous I know!) here, could the lack of Parr sightings over the last few years be due to the Parr that became Super Tench, rather than Mullets? Would make sense with them retaining the YQA TOPS code.

Jo

• Like 1

After some more research it seems that the YQA Parr wagons were all but done with by 2017 as this photo shows two being donated to the SVR, and had to be moved in a consist so that enough brake force was achieved. Full description in the link and credit to the photographer. As with what Jo said, I think we can assume that the Parr wagons were converted into the SuperTench ones or were used for spares to keep those in service.

171214 66066 6Z62 Bescot - Kidderminster SVR Kidderminster 9268

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure there are a couple of Parrs in use at Eastleigh at the moment - or at least they were still around a few weeks ago when I was last down that way. IIRC they part of one of the crane consists. 

And here is a Mullet in a recent engineer's train also at Eastleigh:

51560755392_449f63db6f_c.jpgMJH_03-09-21_YLA_Mullet_DC967588_Eastleigh by Mike Hale, on Flickr

Edited by Revolution Mike
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

What sort of info do you mean? There’s plenty about them on Revolution’s website.

Probably should have worded it updates about release schedule.

Last update on the website was July 21 that was the 1st Ep, just wondered how they were progressing.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, spackz said:

Probably should have worded it updates about release schedule.

Last update on the website was July 21 that was the 1st Ep, just wondered how they were progressing.

Hi

No update nothing significant to say.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been following Revolution Trains from the start. I have a number of their models with several more on order so am reasonably familiar with the way they seem to do things. Basically, when they have something to say, they update the Projects section of their website. They don’t tend to hold information back. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pegleg90 said:

Have the EP1 samples been shown off/displayed online at all? Assuming they are willing to share them of course. 

Yes, we’ve shown EP samples of both the N and OO versions and livery samples of the N version - you’ll be able to see them at shows or I think(!) they’re on social media/our website. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...