BR Borail EB/EC ‘fishbelly’ flat wagons, and air-braked YLA Mullet, YQA Parr and YQA Super Tench OO and N gauge

Kris

22 hours ago, RP82 said:

Excellent news. A very welcome addition to the fleet.

Between Accurascale, Cavalex and RevolutioN these three are demolishing my bank account.

Thanks guys.

100 % agree.  But also puts some the 'big' manufacturers to shame displaying how their complacency on pushing out the same 1960s tooling time and time again, vice keeping up with development and bringing exciting new models to market, will contribute to their declining influence in the hobby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Another great wagon choice, I remember seeing these all the time at Arpley and Springs Branch but could only find these 5 pictures out of my own collection with none at the above 2 place, go figure.

clapham 15.png

clapham 26.png

leyland 69.png

tonbridge 08.png

tonbridge 14.png

Edited by slg
  • Like 16

Great News! Wallets already run off hiding! Another wagon and its variations that have been missing (certainly for modern day engineers trains) and allow for great variation of train formation and lengths - certainly for my short layout! 

Only stumbled across this thread by accident so will certainly be aiming to make use of the early bird prices! 

Well done! 

• Thanks 1

Great News - I'll certainly be adding a number of variants to my fleet.

One small detail question though - on the CAD images for the YLA Mullet, the bolsters all seem to have the same thickness of timber, whereas photographs seem to suggest that the outer bolsters had heavier timbers than those towards the center (at least when first converted in the early 80's).

I've no idea why they were like this, and also note that BDA's seemed to be the opposite - answers on a postcard?

Appreciate that tooling constraints may preclude this, and it may not be the case on all wagons though?

It would be great if the bolsters were removable to make personalization easier.

Edited by Albion47509
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2021 at 19:35, Albion47509 said:

Great News - I'll certainly be adding a number of variants to my fleet.

One small detail question though - on the CAD images for the YLA Mullet, the bolsters all seem to have the same thickness of timber, whereas photographs seem to suggest that the outer bolsters had heavier timbers than those towards the center (at least when first converted in the early 80's).

I've no idea why they were like this, and also note that BDA's seemed to be the opposite - answers on a postcard?

Hi there,

Apologies - I should've replied earlier to this.  The bolsters in the original images weren't the final design - the finished models will have the variations in thickness you mentioned.  Also, the bolsters will be supplied pre-fitted to the models, as that is how most customers will use them, but they're separate parts, not moulded into the deck, so easily removable.

cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Crepello said:

I see the models on offer are in pairs; will single wagons be an option too?

No, we had to decide whether less choice as single wagons or more choice but as pairs was preferable so we took the pairs route. 

There’s an incredible number of variants of these wagons which is great but the risk is always making sure that minimum order quantities are met. If we’d offered them as singles then we would have had to reduce the number of variants. 

Also in terms of how they were and are used they’ve been a mixture of block trains and handfuls mixed in with other freight/engineers stock. 

Edited by Revolution Mike
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pegleg90 said:

Will the OO versions be in pairs also or just N garage? 

We haven’t decided yet but it is definitely easier for us to duplicate the pairs we’re doing in N (in terms of admin, R&D and graphics!). 

We will make a decision over the next few weeks as the OO CAD is completed. 

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

No, we had to decide whether less choice as single wagons or more choice but as pairs was preferable so we took the pairs route. 

There’s an incredible number of variants of these wagons which is great but the risk is always making sure that minimum order quantities are met. If we’d offered them as singles then we would have had to reduce the number of variants. 

Also in terms of how they were and are used they’ve been a mixture of block trains and handfuls mixed in with other freight/engineers stock. 

Pairs are sensible for some of the uses, as they were used to carry 120ft rail. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brborail/ea0acca1a 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

A pair of Borails duly ordered. I think I will soon have enough PW vehicles to fill my entire fiddle-yard with engineering trains!

Roy

Nothing wrong with that :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crepello said:

I see the models on offer are in pairs; will single wagons be an option too?

Crepello,

Mullets ran in pairs from the rolling mill sites with 120' of rail to Long Welded Rail fabrication depots ( such as the one in Eastleigh Yard ) to allow longer lengths to be made up and then loaded onto LWR Trains for delivery to site.

A selection of pairs loaded as such are in my Flickr Gallery , click on the second picture below to see ...

Parrs can be found in the first  picture ... 

HTH

Meld

Bogie wagons, YQA 'PARR' 49T Sleeper Carriers

Bogie Wagons, YLA 'MULLET' 49T Air Braked Borail

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for clarifying on the bolster timbers Ben. I doubted it would be something that Revolution would overlook - just concerned when seeing the CADS.

Just seen the options available and wow - you really have covered the variants well - decisions decisions!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

Not yet - we’ve got a few improvements on the first CAD that we’ve asked the factory to make. 

Cheers Mike

Improvements, very nice.

An excellent choice of wagon, thanks Ben & Mike.

Quick question about the Yellow Mullet's being offered.

The pair that are not British Steel branded, the one without bolsters, does it come with bolsters to add ourselved?

To me it looks like an incorrectly branded PARR??

Thanks,

Keith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Keith,

My understanding is that when they first had the bolsters removed they weren't immediately recoded and renamed as YQA Parr.  The model of DC967548 is based on this photograph from Paul Bartlett's superb website dated October 1985:

https://zenfolio.page.link/w4TLc

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 09/08/2021 at 08:02, Revolution Ben said:

Hello Keith,

My understanding is that when they first had the bolsters removed they weren't immediately recoded and renamed as YQA Parr.  The model of DC967548 is based on this photograph from Paul Bartlett's superb website dated October 1985:

https://zenfolio.page.link/w4TLc

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the info Ben.

Order about to be placed!!

Keith.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agreed good to see these are available to order now.

Does anyone know if the Borail BRV and BRA Railfreight wagons worked out of Redbridge, Southampton? John Dedman has a shot of a LWR train which look similar, but as Redbridge was a rail processing plant I'm wondering if these were used on other trains which visited Redbridge, particularly in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

33103 Southampton 3-7-86

• Like 1