Printed posters

Does anyone produce standard 48 sheet posters (preferably from the 1970 and 80s) in N gauge scale for billboards/hoardings. All the posters on ebay and other places seem to be non-standard sizes. 48 sheet posters are the most popular type of outdoor advertising and their size is 240 inches x 120 inches, or 6100mm x 3050mm in metric, which is 41mm by 20mm in N gauge scale (1/148).

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I wonder why any commercial company continues to produce scale posters.

It's so easy to download your image, rescale it using any one of many different software packages, then Just print out what you want. No copyright is being infringed if all you do is stick them on your layout.. And if you don't have a printer, there are any number of local printshops, online printers or friends who would do it for you.

You then get exactly what you want.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

To be honest, I wonder why any commercial company continues to produce scale posters.

It's so easy to download your image, rescale it using any one of many different software packages, then Just print out what you want. No copyright is being infringed if all you do is stick them on your layout.. And if you don't have a printer, there are any number of local printshops, online printers or friends who would do it for you.

You then get exactly what you want.

I don't have a printer and TBQH finding suitable images (of the period and square to camera with no trees/lampposts in the way or shadows on them) is almost impossible. I've spend ages hunting on line and only found three, all of which are basically thumbnails with very low DPI/resolution that wouldn't be suitable for printing without becoming blocky and pixelated.

40 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Thanks, although most of the examples shown are portrait format and only one (the hieniken/spock one) looks like it is the correct aspect ratio (2:1) for a standard 48 sheet poster - the other landscape ones are odd ratios.

I've started to collect suitable images that I've found on-line. It's time consuming and tedious, with the need to ensure sufficient DPI/resolution to print and that the dimensions and ratios are correct for N/2mm scale. Here's a image of what I've got so far but unfortunately they're not all suitable for the period I want and some I've made up:

535133946_48sheetposterscpred.jpg.f7fc708a77237ff5d732083d6c06337f.jpg

If anyone want a pdf of them (three sets of each) in the correct size and resolution please let me know and I'll send a copy of the file (it's 14.3MB).

I think a problem you may have is that self printing the image to the size you want is likely to lead to a loss of resolution.  Obviously the quality of the printer will have some bearing too.  Looking at the images you've kindly supplied above, i can read the text on only two of them.

Looking at this page, there seem some which might be appropriate, but I'd guess not to the exact size you need.  Could you not use editing software to resize them?

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/1970s-advertising.html