Lenz Standard + V2 decoder flashing headlights and not moving

wilwahabri

I have recently fitted a Lenz Standard+ V2 decoder to a Fleischmann 4430 diesel railcar. I have a number of locos fitted with this decoder, all have worked with no issue, however originally I did not connect the lights, which have been replaced with LEDs and resistors (again something I have done a number of times before). With the lights disconnected the train worked fine, however after connecting the lights the loco will not run and the forward running lights flash on and off at about 1 second intervals. This looks like an error code of some sort, but the manual does not list anything.  The auxiliary output is still working  switching the interior lights off and on under control of the DCC system. Current drawn is minimal > 50mA

Appreciate any suggestions as to what may be wrong and how to fix the problem

Flashing lights on a loco with a Lenz decoder indicate a short circuit (this also happens with Kuehn decoders and possibly others); the safety cutout has switched the decoder off to avoid damage.  It is odd that this is not mentioned in the instructions.  Since everything else works when the lights are disconnected, it seems likely that when you replaced the bulbs with LEDs you created a short circuit somewhere.  So I suggest that you get out your multimeter and check your alterations.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Manual for V2 says 

5.1 Capacity and protection equipment
The decoder is protected against overloading, short circuits and overheating. In case of a fault, the corresponding bit is set in CV30 which will state the type of fault which has occured. This bit can be deleted via programming.

CV    Value / Bit            Meaning                                              Ex-works setting

30          Bit                   Fault display                                                  0 (dec)

1 (0)                  1 Light short-circuit                                      0
            2 (1)                  1 Overheating                                               0
            3 (2)                  1 Motor-/Track short-circuit                       0

Yep lack of insulation! Always check what you last touched! valuable words of advice. the motor brush gear (it is a horizontal motor with the brushes mounted on a vertical faceplate ) touched the live feed for the lights when it went round bends, which resulted in the train accelerating on bends when going forwards and shorting out when going around bends backwards! fixed!