Jump to content

Class 50’s I hope Hornby do eventually.


jools1959
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 28/06/2021 at 07:47, irishmail said:

As far as I know,  I don't think that they have done any of the first refurbished class 50's in BR blue.  I think there was 50006,  50013, and 50047.  May have been a couple more before the large logo livery was a adopted.

One think I would like to see improved is the 'gimmicky' working louvres!   

 

Six altogether - 50001/6/13/17/19/47. 

Agreed about the grilles, I have two Hornby 50s ("only two?!" ) and I've never bothered adjusting them, TBH I think they're best left alone! But I've seen several pre-owned examples on sale with damaged grilles - something that will never trouble the Lima version. This was Hornby's first 'hi-fi' mainline diesel release and they clearly set out to impress with the revolving roof fan (dropped on newer releases I believe?), opening cab doors and these working grilles, but the latter seem a step too far and must be fiddly to assemble at the factory.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

 

Six altogether - 50001/6/13/17/19/47. 

Agreed about the grilles, I have two Hornby 50s ("only two?!" ) and I've never bothered adjusting them, TBH I think they're best left alone! But I've seen several pre-owned examples on sale with damaged grilles - something that will never trouble the Lima version. This was Hornby's first 'hi-fi' mainline diesel release and they clearly set out to impress with the revolving roof fan (dropped on newer releases I believe?), opening cab doors and these working grilles, but the latter seem a step too far and must be fiddly to assemble at the factory.

Ah I forgot about 'Royal Oak' and 'Ramillies' !!   Yes the working fan was dropped on the later releases, I de-activated it on my 50035.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing would be ....none.

let someone who’s interested in DE make it and get the detail and colours right first time,

 

Its an old tooling now and should be laid to rest I feel as things have moved on 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

This was Hornby's first 'hi-fi' mainline diesel release and they clearly set out to impress with the revolving roof fan (dropped on newer releases I believe?), opening cab doors and these working grilles, but the latter seem a step too far and must be fiddly to assemble at the factory.

 

Are you suggesting that all my R2474s (D421) have the rotating fan feature?  I've a fix for the louvres (thanks Scoobyra), but hadn't noticed that the fan was thus gimmicked! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just cutting the elastic band that drives the fan makes the loco run better, I’ve done it to all 54 of mine !!

(actually to 52 of them, the last 2 I got didn’t have working fans !)

 

cheers,

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Just cutting the elastic band that drives the fan makes the loco run better, I’ve done it to all 54 of mine !!

(actually to 52 of them, the last 2 I got didn’t have working fans !)

 

cheers,

Phil

 

'All 54,' that's 75% of the number preserved! ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been chuckling to myself as I’ve read through this thread, as most of the requested livery variants mentioned are ones I’ve done !

 

cheers,

Phil.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I’ve been chuckling to myself as I’ve read through this thread, as most of the requested livery variants mentioned are ones I’ve done !

 

cheers,

Phil.

 

Ssssh Phil.

That involves the "M" word.....................

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

 

Are you suggesting that all my R2474s (D421) have the rotating fan feature?  I've a fix for the louvres (thanks Scoobyra), but hadn't noticed that the fan was thus gimmicked! 

 

Yep, I have D421 and 50035, both with rotating fans (at the moment.....!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

 

Ssssh Phil.

That involves the "M" word.....................

Aaaaaaah, sorry, it won’t happen again…..:punish:

 

cheers,

Phil.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to see 149 again, however it being a limited edition the first time round it’s unlikely. Maybe one for accurascale or someone to tackle? That said the Hornby 50 is impressive for its age and would just need a few tweaks to bring it up to par. Adding a more sophisticated dcc system, removing the gimmicky louvres and actually getting the liveries right.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2021 at 14:21, 97406 said:

A standard large logo 50 with pearl grey roof, due to the difficulties getting one at the moment. 

The early NSE one is just as scarce, I've been on the look out for one. So even just a different number on the large logo and on the NSE would probably sell very well and require little effort by Hornby. Just not a sodding faux celebrity or survivor though please, I know that we can't have an anonymous un-named one for obvious reasons.

 

My three (having 54 is mental!) have all been modified with red lights isolated as I never run light engines, and those stupid bright red rad fans painted black along with the surrounding brilliant white gubbins. I'm sure they only did the fans red so we could see their willy waving pointless feature!!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ajax50046 said:

D400 in 1991 blue...please!

It would be nice, but given Hornby didn’t remove the handrails on their previous D400 attempt I doubt they have the tooling for a smooth nose. This is something I feel other manufacturers could capitalise on…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 28/06/2021 at 00:43, jools1959 said:


And the difference between April and July condition is?

If my memory serves me correctly, D400 & D401 when originally built had MU jumper cables that were subsequently removed (May/June/July 1968?) whereas the rest of the class was wired for multiple working but built without the jumpers. The MU jumpers were re-fitted/fitted when they were used in pairs on the Anglo-Scottish services circa 1969 onwards during the electrification project to Glasgow.

I believe that when built it was the intention to use them to replace WR hydraulics once the electrification was completed; if anybody else has more information on this please let me know.

 

Keith

Edited by 75B
Spelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

The early NSE one is just as scarce, I've been on the look out for one. So even just a different number on the large logo and on the NSE would probably sell very well and require little effort by Hornby. Just not a sodding faux celebrity or survivor though please, I know that we can't have an anonymous un-named one for obvious reasons.

 

My three (having 54 is mental!) have all been modified with red lights isolated as I never run light engines, and those stupid bright red rad fans painted black along with the surrounding brilliant white gubbins. I'm sure they only did the fans red so we could see their willy waving pointless feature!!

 

I think the fans on the real 50's are yellow if I can remember correctly

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Monkersson said:

I think the fans on the real 50's are yellow if I can remember correctly

Correct. Here’s a cropped image from the Modern Locos Illustrated Class 50 issue.

B1985453-0FC6-4434-9E24-525603271E3D.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 30/06/2021 at 08:01, Class 158 productions said:

I’d love to see 149 again, however it being a limited edition the first time round it’s unlikely.

 

Oh, I don't know - I thought my dark green D0280 Falcon was destined to be one of only 800 (but admittedly that was from a different manufacturer :scratch_one-s_head_mini:)

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...