The Jersey Railway - Station Plans

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

I have an interest in The Jersey Railway and The Jersey Eastern Railway, and whilst I have both books from The Oakwood Press, only the latter one (Eastern volume) has any trackplans within it's pages.

I have had a search on NLS and Old Maps webpages for The Jersey Railway but have been unable to find anything at the kind of scale that would be useful for modelling purposes, in terms of track plans.

Neither of the books gives any drawings of the railway buildings either.

Is anyone aware of any other places I might find track plans and building drawings for these railways?

I'm aware that Corbier and St Helier Weighbridge station buildings are still extant, along with the hotel at St Aubin.  However it may be a few years before I could get there to visit...

Any help or directions gratefully received.

Best

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Jersey Library/Museum Archives were quite helpful when I was there in 2019. Sorry I don't have a contact but the Tourist Info office is hugely helpful and on an old Station Site in the Bus Station as you might know? I have a book somewhere and it isn't an Oakwood Press one IIRC.

Got a couple of photos of some of the Western line Stations.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Phil.

I should have thought of that but didn't.

I'll drop them a line and see what they have.

If you come across the book and you think it will be useful, do perhaps you could pass on the details?

Many thanks again.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott,

I know someone in the NLS map section and it was suggested to me, in a related conversation, that a nice email to them may help in a digitised version appearing (assuming they have something in a larger scale).

Regards,

Alex.

11 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Hello,

I have an interest in The Jersey Railway and The Jersey Eastern Railway, and whilst I have both books from The Oakwood Press, only the latter one (Eastern volume) has any trackplans within it's pages.

I have had a search on NLS and Old Maps webpages for The Jersey Railway but have been unable to find anything at the kind of scale that would be useful for modelling purposes, in terms of track plans.

Is anyone aware of any other places I might find track plans and building drawings for these railways?

I'm aware that Corbier and St Helier Weighbridge station buildings are still extant, along with the hotel at St Aubin.  However it may be a few years before I could get there to visit...

Best

Scott

Su17OSMap1935-26.jpg

11 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Hello,

Best

Scott

https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Railway_picture_gallery

Tons of images here! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for their replies.

I have dropped the Jersey Library an email to enquire about anything they may have in teh reference section/archive.

Paul, I had seen that website but for some reason I hadn't come across the extensive photos. Thanks for that.  There is a particularly revealing image of teh sheds at St Helier.

Best

Scott.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2021 at 11:51, scottystitch said:

Best

Scott

Not much of the Weighbridge left now after the latest redevelopment, St Aubin station is now the parish hall. The station buildings at First Tower and Millbrook still exist, Millbrook is "The Old Station Café" now and displays photos of the railway inside.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a very ingenious compact model of the Jersey Railway, built in the late 1950s and featured in ‘Railway Modeller’, I no longer have the magazine or recall the builder but he modelled the Welshpool & Llanfair as well.

Dava

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The whole history of the CI's is fascinating and of course, the second War years has all its' rather disturbing at times stories. However, many tales of that time are very entertaining. The Troops stationed there didn't have a great time but were very less likely to get killed, unless they fell out of favour and were transferred.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The whole history of the CI's is fascinating and of course, the second War years has all its' rather disturbing at times stories. However, many tales of that time are very entertaining. The Troops stationed there didn't have a great time but were very less likely to get killed, unless they fell out of favour and were transferred.

Phil

Worth a watch. https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/hitlers-england/watch-online/ Apart from his TV connections to Jersey, John Nettles has a 'connection' to the subject.

Ever since my first visit to the island and reading Bonsor's book, I've always had a wish to model the later version of St Aubins Station with its unique 'through line' and street running.

From https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Railway_picture_gallery

1481882183_StAubin1.jpg.7c3b2f117a41cd4c89a9149c8731eaff.jpg   StAubinBend.jpg.ad41dd51d50f957aaf351e168acd6d7d.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2021 at 17:54, scottystitch said:

Thank you, Phil.

I should have thought of that but didn't.

I'll drop them a line and see what they have.

If you come across the book and you think it will be useful, do perhaps you could pass on the details?

Many thanks again.

Best

Scott.

No worries. Paul's link gives you many many more pics than in my book, which I can't find anyway at the moment!

The West line is easy to follow if you have 'railway eyes' and it is a cycle and walking route all the way to Corbiere. The East line I didn't have the chance to really trace but the Gory end is imaginable . Great fun. Each Route would really need at least a day. West by Bike and east walking and Bus.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

You can follow some of the Jersey Eastern but it's not as obvious as the Jersey Railway. Photos of just about everything in that website link though - one part of the island railways I can't find anything about is the network of 60cm lines built by the occupying Germans. I've seen maps but no photos.

• Like 1

Hi

I'm the chairman of the Jersey Model Railway club - I'd be happy to help out as best I can.  If you could be a bit more specific as to what you would like, I can go through our archives and see what material we have available.  We might have some maps and plans somewhere in the building or some of our members might. I know many of them (including me) harbour desires of building a model of one of the them - personally I've always wanted to model the Snow Hill terminus of the Eastern Railway - situated in a cutting with a bridge and a building at each end it would have made a great self contained layout! 

The Societe Jersiaise also has a great photographic archive which can be searched here: http://photographic-archive.societe-jersiaise.org/search/advanced.  The Archive also have a number of un digitised records and may have maps or plan available - it might be worth dropping them a line to see if they have anything of use.

Happy modelling!  I'd be interested to follow your progress.

Best

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Found my Book. It is the Oakwood Press and covers all the Islands.

I suspect German lines were probably not recorded (much?) due to secrecy? However there is a map in my Book, a few pics and a few pages about the systems. Also Guernsey German Lines. There was Metre and 60cm Gauges.

Phil

On 13/07/2021 at 15:04, Michael Edge said:

I've seen maps but no photos.

There are photos of occupation lines in the archive pointed to by jerseyjon. They aren’t all captioned as such, because in some the railway detail is incidental to a different main subject.

Operation Todt railways look no different from any other German NG construction railways of the period, could be any construction site, until in many pictures of OT sites one notices that a lot of the labourers are women, which is a strong pointer to forced labour in period photos of construction anywhere across Europe. 

Some of the locos used in CI were taken from railways in France though, so not all clearly German-built, although unless you are heavily into continental industrial NG it can be hard to spot the differences.

Edited by Nearholmer

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting info and photos of the Jersey Railway (mainly the Western, 3'6" line to Corbiere) for many years, so I had to join in on this thread!

Maurice Deane wrote a very detailed account of his "Narrow Gauge at St Aubins" layout in the February 1963 Model Railway News. This included a trackplan.

He references an article in "Locomtives & Railways" from the early 1900's containing details and dimensions of rolling stock, but I've never been able to find the relevant copy. If someone has an archive, please put me out of my misery!

His layout was later extended to include St Helier Weighbridge, West Park, Millbrook and (I think) La Haule stations. Aparently it was donated to a museum on the island and there are some photos on the Jersey Heritage archive here https://catalogue.jerseyheritage.org/collection/Details/archive/110326974.

There are also some photo's of the model and prototype in an article that Maurice Deane wrote for British Railway Journal No.53 (Autumn 1994). The article includes a trackplan of the Weighbridge terminus.

I'll try to reference some other sources for you if it would help.

Ade

• Informative/Useful 1