Cheapo voltage/polarity widget wanted

In order to save raking my meter out and trailing its leads across bits of the layout I need a thingy with which I can quickly check whether or not a section of 00 track has a voltage across it and also its polarity.  Can anyone please recommend such a thing?

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, spikey said:

In order to save raking my meter out and trailing its leads across bits of the layout I need a thingy with which I can quickly check whether or not a section of 00 track has a voltage across it and also its polarity.  Can anyone please recommend such a thing?

DC or DCC?

I ask because DC only has voltage if the controller is off zero.

DCC doesn't have a polarity as such.

Edited by melmerby

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

DC or DCC?

Ah.  Beg pardon.  DC.

Being somewhat long in the tooth, I keep forgetting about that new-fangled alternative ...

• RMweb Premium

I have found that the device made by Train-Tech works well. It cost me £6 which is admittedly a lot more than the MERG version but you don't have to pay a membership fee!

The Train-Tech item works with DCC showing an Orange light it the track has power. On DC it shows either Red or Green depending which rail is positive and which is negative.

Edited by Chris116
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I have found that the device made by Train-Tech works well. It cost me £6 which is admittedly a lot more than the MERG version but you don't have to pay a membership fee!

The Train-Tech item works with DCC showing an Orange light it the track has power. On DC it shows either Red or Green depending which rail is positive and which is negative.

Just like the home made one. :yes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Available to MERG members for £0.29 but the pic says it all really, works on DC or DCC.

801.jpg

But that one is for N Gauge!

:D

The weakness of theses devices is you need to hold them in place. Not good when you need to twiddle stuff.  Crocodile clip aren't ideal either and pointy probes even worse.  An old Triang Jinty with the coupling rods removed does a good job.  You can both hear and see it working or a loco chassis with a rectifier, resistor and LED .  Depending on your controller you may need to use full power for testing with an LED and resistor set up, or merely move the knob from the off position.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Now can I be ar..d to make one (bipolar or red and green LEDs in series with a resistor*) or shall I keep using the meter (or just a loco on the track - the lazy way!).

* More complicated circuits are available, but are even less likely to get built!)