New selling site

hayfield

I have not sold anything on eBay for over 3 mths, was I in for a surprise when I went back in

1  It took me ages to find the selling area

2 My templates have been lost

3 Cannot access it from the left hand summary

4 On the computer it seems to be a site on its own

At least the phone application has not changed.

Initial thoughts its far too detailed. The summary (Overview) for the occasional seller is far to comprehensive and no short cut to the selling (active listing) page

A right dogs dinner as far as I am concerned 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I took my payment method out when I was asked to go to the new Ebay solution and I've given up thinking about selling via it, I am a very occasional seller and it was simply less hassle to sell a load of stock to Rails back in December than mess around selling on Ebay.

• Informative/Useful 1

Trouble is dealers will only pay you about £30 or less for a kit, two of the 3 I am selling are a bit niche  and probably not what dealers want. Having said this eBay is the best platform to get top prices. I understand the payment method has changed, but I am not too bothered about this.

• Like 1

Dealers will always pay less I realise, but it was the sheer hassle of doing it, finding the boxes, packing, trips to the Post Office etc that I put a figure down that I would accept and went to Rails - they came back with the figure I wanted so I was happy.

In the past I've had low offers and I've then put up with the hassle of packing and made a tidy sum.

As I am not currently selling there is no way my bank details are going into Ebay's database, if I ever change my mind i can simply set up again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

You can opt out of seller hub. It should say at the top next to messages. I have to say having used it a few times i didn't like it either but Ive got used to it and find for me personally it works well now ive worked out the quirks and also configured it to show what i want it to show.

46 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

You can opt out of seller hub. It should say at the top next to messages. I have to say having used it a few times i didn't like it either but Ive got used to it and find for me personally it works well now ive worked out the quirks and also configured it to show what i want it to show.

And still sell ? If so does it revert back to the older version ?

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

And still sell ? If so does it revert back to the older version ?

I believe so yes. Not done it myself as Ive got used to the seller hub now and for me find it easier than the old way. Trouble is with the hub is eBay set it up with lots of weird fields. Once you spent a few minutes configuring the sections its not so bad!

• Thanks 1

I also have completely lost my selling platform.  I have not sold for around six months,  but in nearly twenty years of selling I have never previously lost the selling link.  I understand that after around two months that templates are lost but to lose the selling access is a stupid business practice.  When I eventually decide to sell again then I will face that hurdle.

I have had a few conversations with eBay personnel over the years and feel that eBay is now a power sellers' platform and not that of the occasional or infrequent small time seller.  EBay continuously wants us to provide three day shipping plus free postage.   How can a small time seller offer free postage?  He does not have access to the bulk discount rates that the big boys get and yet is supposed to be competitive.  EBay began as a community experience but now it is the domain of the power seller.  A friend of mine gave up selling on eBay and haunts Facebook marketplace for sales and purchases.

I think basic economics means eBay will always be a power seller site, its where the money is

A BIG HOWEVER

Somehow the model railway fraternity has cottoned on to the fact that its a great place to buy and sell private items. For a seller top prices can be obtained at a reasonable cost, as a buyer speaking as a kit builder what GEMs come to light, I have bought recently 2 loco kits and two etched chassis kits all with wheels for less that the cost of the wheels new, it might be a bit different for those interested in RTR. But for kit builders it can be an Aladdin's cave

But it seems they are forgetting about the private seller a bit. We all are not interested in spread sheets !!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know we all complain bitterly about Ebay and its conveyor belt of stupid ideas that seems to have picked up the pace considerably in recent months but what are the real alternatives?

In my opinion, none.

There have been selling apps that have appeared but these are in the same league as Facebook Marketplace which I refuse to go anywhere near either as a seller or a buyer, unregulated and more cowboys than the Wild West.

Private auction houses will charge the buyer and seller an outrageous amount in fees and VAT,

Dealers will offer a basic pittance to maximise their profit margins.

So in the end, if you want a decent return on your sale with good coverage then Ebay is pretty much it.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 5

Totally agree with you but for some items (kits and accessories for kits) I think many dealers either have no outlet and or no clue about them. The things I am interested in you cannot buy them at the local shop. I had a bit of a punt today for £30, I will wait to see how lucky or not I have been

eBay on the other hand brings together individuals and makes the market, yesterday a Wills Finecast GWR De Glen Compound sold for £101, no chassis or wheels (even the plastic tender ones had gone) but 2 packs of plates. You can buy them new for £65 or are the plates that valuable ?

Perhaps eBay needs to get back to its roots and offer two selling platforms.  One being a commercial platform and the other a community platform.  I know that what I sell is only of interest to fellow modellers and a commercial eBay site is hardly likely to view my listings.  Thus,  what I list would only be visible on a community site  (like it used to be before eBay got too big for its boots). 

Remember when Gumtree was for items for sale in your local community so that face to face transactions occurred.   That did not last long.

At the moment I keep getting offers of maximum £3 selling fee.  This time last year it was only £1 so I sold £2000 of mainly model railway stuff that I didn’t realise I wouldn’t be using.

The selling link is still in the same place on my iPad app.

35 minutes ago, friscopete said:

I think ebay is fabulous .A huge worldwide market that if  you are wise and careful can reap huge rewards.Of course things can go wrong as with any system but if you stick to the rules its a very handy site .

You haven’t really addressed the issues being discussed above though, have you?

• Agree 1

On 28/06/2021 at 16:28, hayfield said:

I understand the payment method has changed, but I am not too bothered about this.

So, you are not too bothered about allowing eBay to put their grubby little hands into your wallet anytime they please before telling you ?

8 hours ago, SamThomas said:

So, you are not too bothered about allowing eBay to put their grubby little hands into your wallet anytime they please before telling you ?

What an absolutely rude reply. As in the past along with PayPal I have adhered to both eBay and PayPal rules, which includes both buyer/seller protection measures from both companies. As I have said collecting model railway loco kits seems to exclude the chancers and find some great buyers and sellers. It may well be very different in other areas

Nobody forces you to use them and I hope in the future you keep well away from the site as it seems to offend you. eBay will only take extreme measures if something dodgy is afoot, granted sometimes an innocent party gets dragged into a situation not of their making. So far the dealings I have had with eBay in the couple of disputes I have had over 18+ years gives me confidence with them.

If I did have an issue it would only be to the value of the item concerned, and had I followed the rules, I would have some form of recourse once the facts have been established. Like every company, if they took money not owed to them I can take action against them

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not getting the issues selling, I still sell on an ad hoc basis and find it very effective. As I buy quite a bit online I have a pile of boxes and packaging to reuse so no issues there. I only use Buy It Now so I know I will get a price I want and if it doesn't sell it doesn't sell.

Whilst I don't like the new payment thing it is quicker and easier, and from a risk perspective it is far lower risk than many of the other risks your bank account is exposed to. Your own bank can't guarantee your money's safety and will fight tooth and nail to avoid reimbursing you when they screw up. People are losing the entire price of their house sale, so the Ebay risk seems pretty low.

As hayfield says, it works and there is no meaningful alternative. I have just sold an item to the US via their international shipping programme at the price I wanted. No hassle for me, just print a label and post as normal. Disputes wise only had a few and they were years ago when I didn't use tracked delivery and people scammed me saying it hadn't arrived. Had one where I bought a "brand new" thing that wasn't, seller kicked off but Ebay just gave me a full no quibble refund and I didn't have to return the item.

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

What an absolutely rude reply.

I did not intend to be rude - just to the point & a little TIC.

IMO eBay are simply getting too big, too dictortorial (spelling ?), too greedy & they want it all, every last %'age theycan wring out of the deal.

PP worked fine for years & now it appears the eBay want PP's 2% (or whatever it is/was). You could sell something on eBay, get paid straight away & then buy something else within minute - not the case now with so called managed payments.

I know a couple of power sellers & quite a few who (ust to) use eBay a lot who all tell me that eBay have got more active freezing funds because of some buyers "trying it on".

If it works for people & they are happy with the T & C's then that's fine.

Probably, I will start selling again on eBay, but I will make sure that they cannot access my account without my prior permission. In any case, it does not sit well with me having yet another organisation having my bank details - lets face it - they already have your full name, address & DOB so all it takes it one data breach.....

I doubt if eBay would behave in this manner if there were a viable alternative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SamThomas said:

I did not intend to be rude - just to the point & a little TIC.

IMO eBay are simply getting too big, too dictortorial (spelling ?), too greedy & they want it all, every last %'age theycan wring out of the deal.

PP worked fine for years & now it appears the eBay want PP's 2% (or whatever it is/was). You could sell something on eBay, get paid straight away & then buy something else within minute - not the case now with so called managed payments.

I know a couple of power sellers & quite a few who (ust to) use eBay a lot who all tell me that eBay have got more active freezing funds because of some buyers "trying it on".

If it works for people & they are happy with the T & C's then that's fine.

Probably, I will start selling again on eBay, but I will make sure that they cannot access my account without my prior permission. In any case, it does not sit well with me having yet another organisation having my bank details - lets face it - they already have your full name, address & DOB so all it takes it one data breach.....

I doubt if eBay would behave in this manner if there were a viable alternative.

eBay used to own PayPal but then sold it, so its something they had already !!!

Granted about the speed of being able to use funds, but in some cases PayPal held on to funds for a few days whilst the funds cleared, secondly I am more than happy for my credit card company pay for the item and gives me 30+ days to clear the bill.

For me as a buyer eBay has produced a market place for items which would have just been thrown away, as many traders have no market for either kits or parts for kits, or as a seller a large audience of like minded folk who wish to buy said items

As for so called "Power Sellers" eBay and Amazon have produced valuable selling sites, not being into RTR its something I am not interested in

I must agree that some changes are for the worst, but like postage some sellers took advantage of no commission on postage, eBay simply reacted. Try buying or selling via a traditional auction site  40% commission plus VAT then large P&P charges 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What I have found with some areas of Ebay is that you can find something you want, then discreetly saunter off to the the sellers own shop website off Ebay and get it for a lot less sometimes....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1