New selling site

hayfield

If eBay has said the customer has paid, then the terms you agreed to states the item should be sent, eBay will pay into your nominated account I guess on Thursday

Why are you taking it out with the buyer, who has paid up seemingly very quickly. By all means take it up with eBay, but punish the buyer !! Sounds a bit ungrateful 

• Agree 4

Ive sold numerous items on eBay since the change and to be honest i got the money from Sunday nights sales into my bank account this afternoon. eBay wont give you the postage details until the seller has paid and while i have changed my terms of 3 days i normally always post on the first working day (normally Monday). So far out of 50-60 items not had a problem at all.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ebay has gone a bit stale of late, several people have reported falling prices.
It was the combination of a re-messing about with sellers terms put me off selling, and moving out of lockdown means i’m not interested to buy right now. Ive not found anything for 3 months now, I've gone weeks without even looking, where as i’d have boxes of guff arriving constantly before.

I used to buy whisky and about 10 years ago ebay was building a good following an unusual whiskys, but promptly ceased it requiring sales to be by registered outlets.

The result was 2 private whisky auctions become prominent and extremely useful in terms of relating directly to the whisky collectors industry.. easy to use, low fees, very specific details on the whiskys for the buyer and managed by a licensed seller.

I kind of think that if Hattons or Rails, or someone similar launched their own model railway bespoke auction site aimed purely at model railways in a similar vein they would probably pick up a huge chunk of this market quite quickly.

The key is not to be old fashioned (hammer wielding auctioneer, with long lead times, catalogs etc and not to too generic that buyer cant trust it, … plus add features that make it buyer informative,  for example if you could list a sales with a video of the item running, and use a database of trusted info to build the right information into the listings to make it accurate, and finally leave it personal.. seller to buyer, not seller to auctioneer to buyer.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

One thing i have noticed is that people don't bother to look at the buy it nows. I had a Lima 47 i put up for £42.50 + £4.20 postage. It was up for two weeks and had little interest. I then put it onto auction at 99p for 7 days. Sold for £56.00 plus £4.20 post (i actually upgraded it to 1st class signed for since it went for alot more than i expected). While i would certainly say the vast majority of buy it nows are probably overpriced i simply think now so few people check them to make them pointless for sellers now.

In terms of prices in general i cant say they have gone down too much after all the summer months are always out of season for this stuff so i would wait till October before we can really see how much effect has been caused by the changes. In fact i would say while some items went for less, others went for more than i expected so while its a little green in the face its certainly a long way from dead and buried for model railway items.

In terms of the auctions I'm not sure the big boys would want the hassle. After why only take 10% -15% commission when they would try to buy it themselves and make more money for less hassle. For me it would have to be a smaller player as they are more likely to be interested in such a move as it could increase their profits without hurting their own stock holdings.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ebay has gone a bit stale of late, several people have reported falling prices.
It was the combination of a re-messing about with sellers terms put me off selling, and moving out of lockdown means i’m not interested to buy right now. Ive not found anything for 3 months now, I've gone weeks without even looking, where as i’d have boxes of guff arriving constantly before.

I used to buy whisky and about 10 years ago ebay was building a good following an unusual whiskys, but promptly ceased it requiring sales to be by registered outlets.

The result was 2 private whisky auctions become prominent and extremely useful in terms of relating directly to the whisky collectors industry.. easy to use, low fees, very specific details on the whiskys for the buyer and managed by a licensed seller.

I kind of think that if Hattons or Rails, or someone similar launched their own model railway bespoke auction site aimed purely at model railways in a similar vein they would probably pick up a huge chunk of this market quite quickly.

The key is not to be old fashioned (hammer wielding auctioneer, with long lead times, catalogs etc and not to too generic that buyer cant trust it, … plus add features that make it buyer informative,  for example if you could list a sales with a video of the item running, and use a database of trusted info to build the right information into the listings to make it accurate, and finally leave it personal.. seller to buyer, not seller to auctioneer to buyer.

My interests is in loco kits and parts/spares etc, in the main prices being fetched on auction remain very high in a lot of cases, there are exceptions as you would expect with prices down a bit on more common items or less than pristine items. This weekend was the start of the school holiday season, I would expect sales to drop over the next 6 to 8 weeks. Even a cheapskate like me was able to buy 4 items within the price constraints I set. But this happens every now and then

43 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

One thing i have noticed is that people don't bother to look at the buy it nows. I had a Lima 47 i put up for £42.50 + £4.20 postage. It was up for two weeks and had little interest. I then put it onto auction at 99p for 7 days. Sold for £56.00 plus £4.20 post (i actually upgraded it to 1st class signed for since it went for alot more than i expected). While i would certainly say the vast majority of buy it nows are probably overpriced i simply think now so few people check them to make them pointless for sellers now.

In terms of prices in general i cant say they have gone down too much after all the summer months are always out of season for this stuff so i would wait till October before we can really see how much effect has been caused by the changes. In fact i would say while some items went for less, others went for more than i expected so while its a little green in the face its certainly a long way from dead and buried for model railway items.

In terms of the auctions I'm not sure the big boys would want the hassle. After why only take 10% -15% commission when they would try to buy it themselves and make more money for less hassle. For me it would have to be a smaller player as they are more likely to be interested in such a move as it could increase their profits without hurting their own stock holdings.

I must confess to quite often only looking at auction lots. I get board looking at overpriced buy it now items. OK I may miss some items, but I also find some I may not have got round to finding

Quite often I have had an item not sell for a week or two, then a couple become interested and I end up selling it for more than the starting price.

I have learned with eBay if its something you want buy it when you first see it, as it may either go or go up in price

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/07/2021 at 21:19, owentherail said:

I've not sold anything for months, until today, item sold and told by Ebay .... Paid and to post now but moneys not in any account nor PayPal....... like hell am I posting it yet. 

Quite right too.  One of the reasons I refused to sign up to "Managed Payments" and stopped selling on eBay in April.     I wouldn't send goods before receiving payment.   I still buy stuff on eBay and I have noticed some sellers are now waiting several days before sending.   As a buyer I have no problem with this so long as the sellers remember to change their terms to show the longer time allowed for them to dispatch.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2021 at 12:52, G-DIMB said:

yes, I thought that to, but they could obviously list on their own site too.

how much is Rails spending on ebay now ? - 6700 items currently listed, 5800 sold in 90 days…

They could probably host their own auction site off the savings of their ebay fee budget alone, then have private sales as an extra revenue channel…remeber those using ebay today are those not selling to retailers currently.. but collectively most ebayers for model railways are themselves hobbists likely to know a bigger retailer name.

( This is exactly what the whisky exchange did with its own auction platform venture whisky.auction).

The other approach is a separate venture, than offers to embed auctions in to retailers own storefronts, as well as its own site, effectively becoming a digital “second hand shelf” of various retailers.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Firstly I assume business sellers get preferential rates (they are excluded from sales promotions) on selling and I guess get volume discounts

Secondly if it were not cost effective they would not sell using this methods.  A 24 hour shop with minimal overheads, all the main retailers do internet shopping. For many its worth paying a third party (eBay in this instance) to provide the infrastructure. trying to do it on the cheap can in the long term be more expensive, unless of course you are a really big player with a sought after brand 

On 20/07/2021 at 22:31, hayfield said:

If eBay has said the customer has paid, then the terms you agreed to states the item should be sent, eBay will pay into your nominated account I guess on Thursday

Why are you taking it out with the buyer, who has paid up seemingly very quickly. By all means take it up with eBay, but punish the buyer !! Sounds a bit ungrateful 

Because included in the price was the postage cost.... which I had not received yet so cant post it without money to pay post office. Like others have said I'll just change my posting times to 5 days from 3...

• Agree 1

Not sure if it is the same over there, but in the US, your payment for a item received no longer goes to you PP account. You have to register a bank account with ebay. Payments now take 2 to 3 days to become available. The fees have gone up, also. Per law, ebay now has to charge state tax on the amount paid for a item. That's fine, but they charge the tax for the item amount plus shipping. And their fee is based on the total amount, as well.  I just sold a large model kit (and will be my last sale on ebay) for $100. Postage to buyer was just under $50.

After the tax deduction and PP's fee, I think I cleared about $85.

I have avoided FB all these years, but I went and set up a phony FB account (page), and have used it to sell items, with moderately decent success. There are groups for all sorts of hobbies, and most will allow personal sales. I just sold a large number of WW I aviation books on there, with a lot less hassle than on ebay.

My wife does pretty well selling dolls house items she is disposing of on etsy, as well.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not selling too much these days, but have sold a few inexpensive bits, money has arrived like clockwork without any issues. I send items as soon as instructed by eBay (not when money in bank). Paying out a bit on postage not an issue.

On the computer the selling system is quite clumsy. Unlike the phone app its not in the main menu and a secondary site/page has to be accessed which has far more info than I need, in fact far harder to use than before. But I am not a major seller so its a mild irritant.

For me its a retro grade step as the older site was easier to use, as for eBay v PayPal neither here or there, both able to buy the same things. Let's see how the two shape up together over the coming months, nothing wrong with a bit of competition.

• Agree 1

I sold 7 small items at the weekend, 5 paid on Sunday, 1 Monday Morning and the last one I was told Tuesday payment was made

Tuesday the first payment was transferred to my bank, but no reference to what items they related to

Wednesday another payment was made which covered both outstanding items (the seventh item was paid very late Tuesday)

On the whole a trouble free exercise, though until the statement is available accuracy cannot be checked

I am getting used to the system, but its far too complicated for the average domestic seller

On a different note I bought 4 items, but 3 out of the 4 are very slow at sending the items, 3 out of 4 items the postage was cheap, I would rather pay a bit more for first class. The cheapest item arrived quickly, two are about to miss their own deadline. 

Edit

One thought is sellers are waiting for funds to be in their bank account, I think if that's the case I wish I had made them wait for the money

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have stopped using e-Bay as anything more than a source of reference.   Living where I do, 90% of what I used to buy is located outside the country and found that all the extra costs added to get it into Canada were often more than the item and always way out of line.  Same for amazon

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2021 at 03:37, GWR-fan said:

I also have completely lost my selling platform.  I have not sold for around six months,  but in nearly twenty years of selling I have never previously lost the selling link.  I understand that after around two months that templates are lost but to lose the selling access is a stupid business practice.  When I eventually decide to sell again then I will face that hurdle.

I have had a few conversations with eBay personnel over the years and feel that eBay is now a power sellers' platform and not that of the occasional or infrequent small time seller.  EBay continuously wants us to provide three day shipping plus free postage.   How can a small time seller offer free postage?  He does not have access to the bulk discount rates that the big boys get and yet is supposed to be competitive.  EBay began as a community experience but now it is the domain of the power seller.  A friend of mine gave up selling on eBay and haunts Facebook marketplace for sales and purchases.

Mostly agree.

I now scour good Auction sites and despite the costs and the uncertainty about what's going to be on offer, there are huge prizes to be had. I know for a fact that there are many who buy in bulk from Auctions and don't do Shows they just do EBay and make a killing too most of the time. 

Phil

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

I sold two items yesterday and they were paid for, had an email today from eBay saying they are sending my money to me, not in the bank earlier but a day earlier?

I noticed that too. I sold an item at half 3 and it was paid and ready at 5pm. Obviously to be paid in tomorrow. Perhaps they realized it was putting people off.........(or am i being gullible for thinking that)

The funds were in my account sometime yesterday, so much for having to wait ages for the payments if this continues. I assume had I checked later in the day I may even had the funds in my account prior to posting them, certainly the debit to my account was after the credit. So why hold on to the item for a few days before posting?

I have had reason to moan at ebay CS last week after a payout was put on hold without reason, saying I needed to provide more info and providing a link to do just that - but which did nothing except tell me that I was good to go. Payouts for sales after it went through fine, and after getting ignored by CS chat for a day, the second day given the usual spiel concluding in "it will sort itself out" it did eventually go through. 

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2021 at 09:24, hayfield said:

So why hold on to the item for a few days before posting?

Sending the item without receiving payment at the time of sale could be construed as illegally giving credit... extreme, but we live in extremist times.

But when it comes to a £100+ item, i’m not sending, giving, delivering anything in person or by mail to someone I don't know and have never met unless there is protection for me in it… If I wouldn't do it in a pub, I wont do it online.

If ebay says they've got my money, good for them, until I've got it, nothings going anywhere. If ebay offered an account balance to which you can access / drawdown or spend on your own terms like Paypal ( and so ebay would become regulated like a UK bank) i’d be ok with it.

Ive not bought / sold nothing on ebay since April now, not yet convinced to change that position, its also affecting my new spend, as much new spend relies on making space with old stuff… ive got a bunch of stuff i’m looking to offload.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You have no greater protection once the money is in your bank account, if there is going to be an issue it will happen days later, eBay will deduct the money from your account via the DDI

If you simply play by the rules set by eBay you will not have an issue, once they instruct you to send the item they are contractually bound to pay you, its now down to the next day, possibly before you would send it under the older rules. I am getting money sent messages first thing in the morning now so there is no need to hold on to anything. You have protection, eBay protects you !!! 

eBay is not like selling in a pub, so its a stupid and irrelevant argument. Your credit argument is also flawed, its the third party (eBay) who has the responsibility under banking regulations.

I have had two or three sales where PayPal had put a hold on the proceeds owing to the type of transfer they received. PayPal did and still do hold on to some payments

I am glad most eBayers are not like you, usually the ones who keep hold of items/ delay sending out items tend not to be as good as those who send items out quicker. 

On 23/08/2021 at 09:50, Mallard60022 said:

Mostly agree.

I now scour good Auction sites and despite the costs and the uncertainty about what's going to be on offer, there are huge prizes to be had. I know for a fact that there are many who buy in bulk from Auctions and don't do Shows they just do EBay and make a killing too most of the time. 

Phil

Auctions can provide good pickings but it is hard work and real work. Auction houses vary in the degree of aftersales service they provide and most are very friendly but it is very different from a retail platform like ebay - you have to rely on trawling through catalogue descriptions and if you have the time and means visiting and viewing (not viable in many cases where the auction house may be hundreds of miles away). You have to be decisive when bidding (and in knowing when to stop) and once the hammer is down it's yours. You have to be able to do the mental maths of adding 25-35% on plus calculating the size, quantity and weight of the lots because many auction houses do not send stuff and even those that do will not in general do you any favours of shipping. That loco at £25 less than retail is not bargain when they want £25 to send it to you.

Nevertheless with time and effort it is possible to work out how to succeed in getting good deals - but it is not like those oh-so-irritating articles that imply it's all a breeze and someone just wanders down and hoovers up bargains to sell on to the unsuspecting masses. I only buy for myself and only sell on surplus items to defray costs and I can tell you that earning money in my ordinary job is a darn site easier than if I had to try and make a living off buying and selling through auctions.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

If you simply play by the rules set by eBay you will not have an issue, once they instruct you to send the item they are contractually bound to pay you, its now down to the next day, possibly before you would send it under the older rules. I am getting money sent messages first thing in the morning now so there is no need to hold on to anything. You have protection, eBay protects you !!! 

You only have that protection if ebay remains solvent.  You would be an unsecured creditor if they went bust.

By selling on ebay and sending the goods you are effectively taking a credit decision about ebay's financial strength.  They could well be stronger than everybody on this forum put together of course.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You only have that protection if ebay remains solvent.  You would be an unsecured creditor if they went bust.

By selling on ebay and sending the goods you are effectively taking a credit decision about ebay's financial strength.  They could well be stronger than everybody on this forum put together of course.

This is getting stupid, why not insist that the buyer comes to your house and pays cash !!! eBay is a large multi national company, which if fell on hard times would have many companies interested in buying it.

I am talking about either a group who make use of eBay yet seem to dislike the company , so they take out their anger/frustration on those giving them their hard earned cash,  or those who just use any excuse to post the item when they can be bothered. I was schooled in retail many years ago when good customer service was the norm, I guess some of us just have different standards

Simply I don't mind posting it when instructed by eBay which usually now coincides with when the money is actually in my bank account, rather than in a PayPal account.

Still in one case its academic as they do not sell now on eBay, others simply have little regard with those buying from them. Thankfully these folk are not in the majority 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, hayfield said:

This is getting stupid, why not insist that the buyer comes to your house and pays cash !!! eBay is a large multi national company, which if fell on hard times would have many companies interested in buying it.

I am talking about either a group who make use of eBay yet seem to dislike the company , so they take out their anger/frustration on those giving them their hard earned cash,  or those who just use any excuse to post the item when they can be bothered. I was schooled in retail many years ago when good customer service was the norm, I guess some of us just have different standards

The latter demonstrates lack of awareness of the former.

Never deal in cash on ebay.. as the seller and the buyer have no ebay protection.

You seem to be demonstrating a level of naivety on selling on ebay in the past.

I’m just not prepared to give a third party unrestricted unlimited access to my bank account without my per-instance agreement… if you withdraw your cash, find the buyer was dodgy and the transaction reversed, you could find your mortgage payments bouncing due to lack of a trivial amount, or excessive banking fees…

With Paypal, the payment was reversed, and you had to resolve it, but it was your resolution.. be it adding funds or using your credit card… not a random swipe of cash from your bank account at ebays time of choosing.

its one thing to lose an item to a dodgy buyer and end up out of pocket, its a whole other ball game to lose your house, future mortgage and damaged credit scores because of late payments due to ebay deductions.

Further, ebay isnt a bank, its unregulated. You might wonder what its doing with your cash for those 2-3 days .. is it playing the stock market ? Is it currency trading ?.. youve no idea.

You know at some point, there will be a dodgy ebay employee….and the rest will be for the news headlines…

To me theres no protections.. with Paypal, they are a bank, regulated by a government, and mandated to give policies to handle issues like those above, 

interesting that i’m singled out for having looked at whats on offer and choosing ebay isnt for me and choosing not use the platform… it feels like someone knocking on my door and telling me to put my house up for sale.. at the end of the day its my choice what I do with my stuff…

I honestly hope you don’t discover the hard way how ebay can treat its private sellers… it wasn't that good before recent changes, and I don't see it being any better now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4