0n3 for Gn18?

I have in mind a very long term micro layout project (long term because it would be trying out a number of things that are new to me and potentially quite complicated, as well as due to my modelling time and funds being a bit limited at the moment), which I am hopefully going to build in Gn15, specifically 1:24 scale (though the concept is derived from 009 layouts I’ve built in the past). However, I was thinking that it could be interesting to use 3/4” gauge track, probably to American 0n3 standards, thus giving a prototype gauge of exactly 18”. Has anyone ever previously attempted this sort of thing and is there much equipment available that could be of use?

I’ve already found the EDM bogies and wheels but what would be particularly useful would be a point kit, or at least a template (this being the aspect I’m least confident with, not really having attempted to hand-lay track before). I know Gn18 has been done previously using 18.2mm gauge (i.e. EM gauge, I assume to EM standards in general but not totally sure). My project idea relies to some extent on being able to appropriately regauge either a Tenshodo Spud or Black Beetle. I understand the latter is actually available already set to EM gauge and there are EM point kits, so in some ways that’s probably a more viable option, though given that it still comes out a bit under 18” gauge I think in that case I’d not bother and just stick with 16.5mm. I’m more interested in the visual effect of the gauge being slightly wider, together with 18” being a more likely gauge for an industrial line than 15”, rather than the ‘finescale’ aspect of it. I’d even be interested in using something like 21mm or S gauge to give a 20-21” gauge look if that turned out to be more viable, though obviously the same gauge could be represented more easily by using 16.5mm gauge in 10mm scale.

I’m still thinking through some of the other slightly unconventional aspects of the project and trying to find the time and funds to do it, so I’m not absolutely convinced that I’ll want to make things harder for myself by having to hand-lay track and regauge stock, and I’m also not sure that this sort of thing really fits my less-than-finescale approach, or that of the Gn15 kits that I’d be using. But is it viable, and is there anything to be gained by using 0n3 components?

• Like 1

Having built two layouts in 1:25 scale on 16.5mm track (to represent 18ins gauge) I obviously opted for the easy (if undergauge) approach.

That was some years ago in the 2000s, and at that time I felt the availability of suitable figures was a significant factor. I found that those theoretically sold as 1:22.5 and 1:24 could be modified for use in the slightly smaller scale of 1:25.

However, this was before 3D printed figures became available. My understanding now would be that these can be printed in any scale if one is willing to pay the price.

On that basis therefore, may I suggest you consider using a scale of 11mm to the foot - call it (say) 1:28 - and enjoying all the ease and ubiquity offered by 16.5mm track, wheelsets, chassis, etc?

CP

Edited by cp409067
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cp409067 said:

On that basis therefore, may I suggest you consider using a scale of 11mm to the foot - call it (say) 1:28 - and enjoying all the ease and ubiquity offered by 16.5mm track, wheelsets, chassis, etc?

That is one other option - I was hoping to be able to use a Sidelines loco (specifically ‘Firefly,’ a battery electric) although their website suggests that these can even be used in 1:32 with appropriate figures (not sure if anyone actually has, or whether this works equally well with all the locos). I’ve enjoyed seeing your 1:25 work over the years and I like the idea of a scale in which 1mm = 1 scale inch, so that’s an idea as well (it’s closer to 18” and presumably a semi-freelance Gn15 loco would look fine in 1:25, assuming it’s designed for 1:24 and not biased towards the 1:20.3 end of the scale).

I can of course also go to 10mm scale (or 1:32), giving a gauge of 20” (or 21” - rounded to nearest inch), which is also fine. This is something I’ve had a little go at already, though so far I’ve only got a part-built coach. I’ve also done 1:32 on a gauge of about 12mm to represent 15”. I enjoyed 1:32/10mm and I think it’s only the Sidelines loco that’s making me a bit hesitant to just use the same scale again, though I can probably build a suitable battery electric loco myself. The wagons for the (currently very loose) idea I have in mind will need to be working end tippers, so scratchbuilding (probably using RTR or kit chassis though) is the best option for those (the wagon design is also the reason why I don’t want to do this in 009 - 09 is a possibility but still likely to be a bit fiddly and unreliable).

I can also just go with Gn15 and put up with the slight gauge error, as I have happily done in 009 for more than a decade. But as I said I think on a large scale minimum gauge (but industrial rather than miniature) layout it’s the visual effect that I’m after rather than a desire to build everything to exact scale standards. However, apart from the Sidelines loco (which may look OK in smaller scales anyway) there’s nothing stopping me from just going with 1:32/10mm, possibly being a little flexible between the two but without going down to 1:35.

35 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

..... (..... 09 is a possibility but still likely to be a bit fiddly and unreliable).

Having (and since the two in 1:25 scale) built three layouts in "O9" I would also recommend that as a possibility. It of course has all the advantages of readily available 9mm gauge material.

I have found that a small locos and short 4 wheel stock in "O9" will traverse curves of 145mm radii (the old EggerBahn setrack), and otherwise using standard Peco 12ins rad "OO9" pointwork and flex track work well. From this two options arise.

(i)    Very compact layouts can be built.

(ii)   In a resonable space considerable 7mm scale detail can be incorporated.

However, based on my own experience and that of a friend, I would offer a warning - the charm of "O9" when representing 18ins gauge can be quite addictive.

CP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cp409067 said:

Having (and since the two in 1:25 scale) built three layouts in "O9" I would also recommend that as a possibility. It of course has all the advantages of readily available 9mm gauge material.

I actually bought a couple of 09 wagon kits a few years ago, though haven’t done anything with them yet. Usually I would prefer to stick to 9mm gauge - as you point out, it’s very compact and of course as an 009 modeller I already know what chassis are good to use, understand common coupling systems etc. and have a lot of track and equipment. I just suspect that a wider gauge will be needed because of the idea of the end tipping wagons and the method that I think I will have to use to unload them, which to operate reliably would require a wide but fairly lightweight wagon body on a heavy chassis. Going up in scale a bit more would also make this slightly easier. There’s also the temptation to go with something a bit different, given that the concept is a refinement of previous 009 layouts I have built.