00 Finescale - Ultrascale wheels - Code 75 ???

1 hour ago, Ighten said:

OK simple ? -- If I replace the RTR Lima wheels on a class 42 with one of ultrascales finescale sets does that work for code 75 or is it referring to finescale as in handbuilt track

See the FAQ on their website - https://www.ultrascale.uk/node/9#02

I'd have assumed that by 00 Finescale, they meant track built to the Double O Gauge Association (DOGA) Finescale standard - http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/finescaletrack.htm.  Note that this has narrower flange-way gaps than commercial 00 turnouts (which are close to the DOGA intermediate standard).  DOGA Finescale track would normally be used with wheelsets that have a back-to-back distance of 14.8 mm (as opposed to 14.4 mm for R-T-R / intermediate standard wheelsets).

My reading would therefore be that for 'Finescale 00', they are supplying EM profile wheels, with the back-to-back dimension reduced to 14.8 mm, so that the wheelsets will operate without issues through track built to DOGA Finescale standards (which is effectively EM - 1.7 mm).

It should work okay on commercial 00 turnouts, but the slightly wider back to back (if it is set at 14.8mm) would mean that the check rails in turnouts wouldn't actually do the job they are there for - to ensure that wheel flange cannot strike the nose of the common crossing.  You may therefore have to adjust the back-to-back dimension if you have issues in turnouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Dungrange - that was what was confusing me though your explanation seems simpler than DOGAs which was confusing me (must have missed the FAQ though as that would have answered it simply)

Edited by Ighten