Have I just found the rarest of the rare Triang M7 loco's. Info needed.

cypherman

Hi all,

I was just watching the new Oscar Paisley video on the R354 Lord of the Isles. As he was going through the catalogue at 1.06 mins in the video there is a picture of a Triang M7 in black with Southern sunshine lettering. I have never seen this engine in this livery ever. I have seen and have ones in BR black, malachite and olive green, But never is SR black. Was this a preproduction model that was never released. If any on knows about this engine I would love to know. I have just bought another M7 and am going to repaint it into this paint scheme.

The earlier Southern Railway liveried M7s were heat printed with simple yellow lettering and white lining.

There were, I seem to recall, at least two different shades of green plastic used.

No. 328 Bright Green.

061C58B9-07D4-46A2-9ACB-53BDFC4D37CF.jpeg.ce791f19effa7ac68af6e52d7fda80a9.jpeg

No. 328 Darker Green, in the RS.607 Train Set with two Southern Railway liveried Mk1 coaches.

1D581BAD-C0EC-49CA-BCB7-F4B1DA364DF0.jpeg.b32176f95555f46333b0703a3a0c5965.jpeg

D5EE6508-4759-43F0-AD06-5078016A17BE.jpeg.1629a6bc9cb708141e91900a24bfae6b.jpeg

No. 245 More of an olive Green.

E126592C-DD08-4B9F-84D8-E4B80C08ABA7.jpeg.b657bc788684251783d1694cd4ef996a.jpeg

And later...

No. 249 Olive Green. Paint finish with probably tampo printed lettering and lining. (And different, newer, wheels and “Low Profile” coupling hooks.)

407AEC3C-457C-4F48-8BE2-2F7CB73A211A.jpeg.dc9114f06cce2351985fbf4af1a4b3c0.jpeg

No M7 with “Sunshine” lettering was issued by Tri-ang or Hornby Railways.

There is, of course, the new China made Super Detail models, but that’s a quite different subject. ;)

67F47F00-4CA5-4682-9A18-C8AB78BB395A.jpeg.54ce3518f0f85535864959ec259345ef.jpeg

925950BC-02C9-4576-9B35-CC3D9B7345B9.jpeg.dc6ad89a05bb5ed61f58f4b6d729d8ad.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like R868 to me, I have 1972/3 (19th ed) and 1974/5 (20th ed) catalogues - and it appears in both in the same guise: as No.245 - dark green, magnadhesion and opening smokebox door.

I must say, going through the old catalogues made me feel quite nostalgic!  Only thing I have left from those days is a Dock Authority shunter that I can't bring myself to part with - even though it doesn't like Peco Code 75 bullhead rail!

For all the advances and high fidelity of modern RTR, these old models had lots of charm and something of a long lost innocence.

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
Typo
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

I must say, going through the old catalogues made me feel quite nostalgic!  Only thing I have left from those days is a Dock Authority shunter that I can't bring myself to part with - even though it doesn't like Peco Code 75 bullhead rail!

For all the advances and high fidelity of modern RTR, these old models had lots of charm and something of a long lost innocence.

Steve

Ultrascale make drop in replacement wheelsets for this loco - it's great fun bringing them back to life !

• Like 2

Hi all,

For me as long as it will traverse code 100 track I am happy to keep the original wheels. I only change the wheels if they do not. And even then I tend to buy a second chassis to do this too and keep the original chassis boxed away.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well the new M7 has arrived and I am in a serious quandary. It is in such good condition I am loathe to strip it and repaint it. But so are the other 4 I have. So do I paint and upgrade this engine. Or do I look for a slightly grottier body which needs restoring. This is it as it is now, As you can see it is in really good condition. Free from even the almost obligatory split and worn front running plate and buffer beam. I keep doing this. I buy an engine to detail and do up. When it gets here I cannot find my self to spoil it's original condition. That's how I ended up with 4 Lima prairies instead of just 2......... :)

M7 1.jpg

M7 2.jpg

M7.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well the new M7 has arrived and I am in a serious quandary. It is in such good condition I am loathe to strip it and repaint it. But so are the other 4 I have. So do I paint and upgrade this engine. Or do I look for a slightly grottier body which needs restoring. This is it as it is now, As you can see it is in really good condition. Free from even the almost obligatory split and worn front running plate and buffer beam.

M7 1.jpg

M7 2.jpg

M7.jpg

A nice survivor with no rubbed lining! Find a worse one because replacing the lining can be a bind......or re-sell or swap?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 33C said:

A nice survivor with no rubbed lining! Find a worse one because replacing the lining can be a bind......or re-sell or swap?

Hi 33C,

I concur. My mind is going in that direction. As you say the lining is in immaculate condition. Not a blemish on it. I think I will store this body away with my other spare bodies and get a slightly grottier body to put on the chassis. That way I have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi all,

I am still waiting on a couple of possible donor bodies before I start. So I have been keeping my self busy with a bit of detailing the buffer beams a bit of a couple of Triang 101 DMU sets I bought.

Compared to the later model, The Tri-ang version stands up quite well. Fitting the right size of driving wheels and reducing the length of the running plate in front of the smokebox would improve matters.

Is the tank modelled by Tri-ang something to do with push-pull apparatus?  She's not GWR, so see below....  :)

Apparently not:   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q55182803#/media/File:Network_150_Day_-_LSWR_Class_M7_tank_loco_No._245_(front_view)_(geograph-1679880).jpg

I have got an example of number 245 (unfortunately high-gloss!). Sorting out the bogie suspension was a trial....

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi il Grifone,

The front footplate is about the correct length for a BR version of the M7. It seems that it's length varied depending on when and where they were built. All these M7's have the longer footplate.

M7 3.jpg

M7 4.jpg

M7 5.jpg

M7 6.jpg

M7 7.jpg

BR M7 1.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

It was the 1903 batch onwards that had the longer running plate and steam reversing gear.

These were also the locomotives that were picked for being push/pull fitted, although not all got it.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/m7class.shtml

I always liked the one with the superheated boiler. A bit different. like a tank version of a T9 or 700 Class.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/49924235067

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2