SBB Overhead

Swissrail

Not happy with the Sommerfeldt stuff, (I think it looks coarse) I've started on my own etches for my upcoming layout. Drawings done in CorelDraw, a test etch recently came back from the etchers and I assembled it at the weekend. I'm pleased with the results!

Near Complete Portal.JPG

Beam in Place.JPG

Drop Bracket & Reg Arm Mount.JPG

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

5 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Not happy with the Sommerfeldt stuff, (I think it looks coarse) I've started on my own etches for my upcoming layout. Drawings done in CorelDraw, a test etch recently came back from the etchers and I assembled it at the weekend. I'm pleased with the results!

Near Complete Portal.JPG

Beam in Place.JPG

Drop Bracket & Reg Arm Mount.JPG

Indeed Sommerfeldt is course - both in HO and N scale, but it is robust because of that, something that may still be attractive to some modellers.

I replaced Sommerfeldt N with N train, but N train, although much 'finer'  is very easily bent out of shape - so its really a modellers choice. 

I'm interested in the choice of lattice uprights - is your layout based on older eras?

Edited by Gordonwis

Yes, my layout will be based on the period between 1960 and 1980. I love green rod-coupled electrics, red and cream TEE trains and international stock from all over Europe that was found in Switzerland at the time...and all of it covered in grime...running through stations that had very low platforms and their track infilled with wood. The modern era is not for me with its squeaky-clean appearance and garish, vulgar liveries that look like sticks of rock you'd find at the beach.