Hello all!

Following on from the success of last years competition (see the link) over on the Train Crash Podcast we have decided to run another!

These are the results- 

So, the challenge is to create something within 2ft squared, hence the name.

The point of this competition is to be creative and try something new while having a bit of fun. We found that doing research via our Instagram that most people seemed to have lost modelling mojo over the last few months. This competition is a way to help get it back!

Rules and regulations:

-No more than 2 feet squared-ish (this is flexible as long as you take the mick)

-Any gauge or scale

-It has to be something railway related (not necessarily a loco or track, just something railway) 

-It cannot have entered another competition

-Submission via email/RMWeb/Instagram with a description of the model and how it was made would be lovely when we do a podcast on the entries by 15th August.

Prize- to be decided, but it will be Train Crash Models product or two.

Email- thetraincrashpodcast@gmail.com

RMWeb- this thread

Instagram-thetraincrash

Keep us updated for on any progress you make on this thread!

Good luck

Olly

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2021 at 17:33, OliverRowley said:

Rules and regulations:

-No more than 2 feet squared-ish (this is flexible as long as you take the mick)

I was discussing this competition with a mate yesterday and we concluded we could build something A4 or A3 size, because these are less than 2 square feet, but not A2 because this is more than 2 square feet.

But re-reading this today, it looks like our model might be (say) a circle of 1 foot radius, this being able to fit into a space measuring 2ft x 2ft.

A little clarification would be good as I think we both misread this rule. The rest of the instructions look straightforward. For example we felt a queue of people waiting to buy their tickets would be fine.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
Mistake.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 47137 said:

But re-reading this today, it looks like our model might be (say) a circle of 1 foot radius, this being able to fit into a space measuring 2ft x 2ft.

A little clarification would be good as I think we both misread this rule. The rest of the instructions look straightforward. For example we felt a queue of people waiting to buy their tickets would be fine.

High school math tells me that a model with a 1 foot radius would be 3.14 ft^2 which seems to be bigger than the 2 ft^2. As such, it seems to come down to whether the 2 ft^2 measure is taken as absolute boundary of the model or total model foot-print.

Nice pick-up :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Here's mine! 

So if you follow me on instagram (@heaptoncolliery if you want to) you'll have seen I've altered what I am entering. 

I'll do a full write up when its finished, but the short end is the layout is part of the Heapton Colliery network where waste coal is transferred between standard gauge onto the narrow gauge for disposal. 

1961291499_IMG_23301.JPG.1b4861fff72c83e730d6aa0fa9754fd7.JPG

It will work! I hope. Using a Triang grain wagon and a shute built underneath the standard gauge track aiming coal into the wagons below. The layout (which I suppose it is) represents the end of the town of Heapton as the railway moves out towards the colliery itself.

Furthermore the layout should also be bi-viewable- being viewable from both sides.

2141953023_IMG_23411.JPG.1f5d67ab114786988c0bb42ed42bafb1.JPG

A little more scenery is being worked on hinting at a rural scene to the right where the track will counter curve away from eachother, but that's not done yet. 

197438122_IMG_23361.JPG.21fae0689c64345026d4ba2c2cce1f26.JPG

Any thoughts- let me know!

Olly

PS bar the Ruston all stock is being worked on or in the queue to be (hence the patch Kerr Stuart and print line ridden wagons)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So here's my progress!

The scenery is in, well the start of it, with the hillside and the brick abutment in. I am still working on the coal chute to be fitted, but my maths is a little bit off so when I trial fitted it didn't work. More work needed. 

1489085240_IMG_24121.JPG.502392d7040f4725738fe904eea8c3e7.JPG

Here are some shots 'from the line' which I am really rather pleased with!

1097892313_IMG_24091.JPG.f36cc527b2351d0258b859b25b5e4d29.JPG

1063343866_IMG_24081.JPG.abe2267d4f345b000dc6e642726d8f29.JPG 

• Like 2