Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The return of exhibitions - a further poll

Thanks Andy.  One thing that I don't think your survey covers is children.  I have two sons who enjoy going to shows.  Given the vaccine isn't licenced for under 18s, they've not (and will not be) been vaccinated.  As such, I'd be very annoyed if shows were to return but only to those with fully vaccinated status.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Thanks Andy.  One thing that I don't think your survey covers is children.  I have two sons who enjoy going to shows.  Given the vaccine isn't licenced for under 18s, they've not (and will not be) been vaccinated.  As such, I'd be very annoyed if shows were to return but only to those with fully vaccinated status.

David

I did steer away from it (at present) as there's too many complexities and variables at this stage. Until we know more on any future policy it's a difficult one to analyse; for instance you may choose not to go to a show which doesn't allow under-18s for example (I don't think that would happen) but conversely there then may be people who wouldn't want to go to a show which admitted unvaccinated under-18s.

Minefield.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I did steer away from it (at present) as there's too many complexities and variables at this stage. Until we know more on any future policy it's a difficult one to analyse; for instance you may choose not to go to a show which doesn't allow under-18s for example (I don't think that would happen) but conversely there then may be people who wouldn't want to go to a show which admitted unvaccinated under-18s.

Minefield.jpg

Thanks Andy and appreciated it's a difficult topic with arguments in both directions which I can understand.  It wouldn't be tenable for me, domestically, to go to a show that wouldn't allow my kids to visit (though I appreciate that some may not wish to attend a show with U18 at present).  Consequently, I'd probably take a pretty dim view of an entity organising such an event and probably prejudice me from being willing to attend or support their events in the future, even post a fuller easing of restrictions.   

David

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I'll be heading to the first show that actually takes place within reasonable travel distance of my home! As things stand, that's likely to be the Cheltenham show in October. But I ticked "Summer to August" on the poll, because I'd go to one if there was one sooner. It's just that, round here at least, there aren't going to be any (and never are, summer is always a quiet time for exhibitions).

The question raised by @Clearwater regarding vaccination policy is an interesting one. If there are going to be any vaccination requirements, then I think it would have to be that you must either a) be vaccinated or b) have a medical/age exemption. Anything else would, I think, be unlawful discrimination. But the age exemption would cover children, obviously. If visitors chose not to go to shows that allowed the exempt unvaccinated to attend, then that's up to them.

I don't think I'd want too many restrictions on visitors, though. Test and trace, yes, and I wouldn't object to wearing a mask or having to regularly sanitise my hands. Limited numbers, pre-booked only, might even make some exhibitions more attractive! Although that's not going to be so attractive to organisers, though, as it would reduce income.

I'd be less keen on greater distance between visitors and exhibits, or time limits and one-way flows - once in I like to be able to browse at my own pace and on my choice of route, not be tramlined by the organisers. At a smaller show, that might work, but for larger ones I start from the premise that I'm not going to be able to see everything in detail so I prefer to focus my attention on the exhibits that I find more interesting. It would be rather annoying having to spend ten minutes in front of the same average layout that I saw the previous month at a different show, but then be limited to only ten minutes in front of a stunning new one that I've never seen before!

Overall, though, I am looking forward to the return of exhibitions, and in the short term I'd put up with any restrictions that are genuinely necessary to enable them to go ahead. This autumn may still be a bit too soon for full normality, but I'd hope that the spring 2022 season should see us back on track. Pun intended, sorry, I'll get my coat.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Useful survey and interesting results Andy.  The results of surveys often give rise to further issues that make one wish we had the benefit of hindsight when framing the questions to be asked. 

The results so far (62 replies) confirm something we probably knew already - most modellers are "older" and generally cautious in their attitude.  Because of the age profile, there is a very high proportion who have already had both jabs.  Of those who have only had one jab so far (presumably mostly the youngsters), many will have had their second dose by the time that shows actually happen.  So that category should perhaps have been split into will have had second within 2 months of first, and will only be having the one dose.

I think the question on size of shows may give a misleading impression on what people will be prepared to attend when the rules change.  Many people only attend a few shows a year - the big national ones and/or their local/club show.

People very worried about Covid will feel uncomfortable about attending the larger shows, and may see the smaller ones as lower risk.

The bigger shows have more of the best layouts and are well attended by the trade, so there is more incentive to visit those than there is for the smaller ones even if the risk is perceived as higher.    

On the other hand, exhibitors and demonstrators are probably more likely to be willing to put on their local show than do one of the big ones, whilst traders probably see it as necessary to attend the big ones as it is their livelihood.  Clearly I can only visit a show if it's got exhibitors!  So it might be useful if the analysis gave a breakdown by type of attitudes by reason for attending.  Perhaps not enough responses yet for that to be statistically meaningful.

• Like 1

Hi Andy.

Just completed the survey.

Our club will be exhibiting two small layouts at the Bluebell Railway show on 31st July/1st August. 

This exhibition takes place at two venues - Sheffield Park Station and Horsted Keynes Station and in several different locations within those sites, so are quite spaced out and a lot of the buildings are partially open and airy so allow the through flow to ventilate the area. Most of our members have had both their jabs, so are reasonably well covered.

Our next show would have been the Medway Model Show in September, but that has now been cancelled. This would have taken place in a school, and the school authorities as well as the organisers are being very cautious. In fact, the school are not taking external bookings for the immediate future.

Our next show after that will be in October, as far as we know.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I was all set to go to Scaleforum at the end of September, as part of our local Area Group demonstration team, but the event has recently been cancelled, of course.

Until last weekend, I was relatively relaxed about going to shows, given that like many people, I've now had both vaccinations.

However, the report from Andrew Marr, about how he caught Covid (seemingly from the G7), despite having both (Pfizer) jabs, was extremely sobering. Whilst he was not hospitalised and seems to have made a full recovery by the end of his self-isolation period, he nonetheless described it as 'a very unpleasant experience'.

I don't know any more, of course, but it sounds similar to a bad bout of flu. Whilst each fully-vaccinated individual is probably going to react in different ways to catching the virus, I am most disinclined to want a week or so in bed with such symptoms or to pass this on to my wife, even if I was confident that we wouldn't have to go to hospital or worse.

Having said all that, some of the Scalefour Society Area Groups are now planning small events in their respective localities on what would have been the Saturday of Scaleforum, with numbers strictly limited and on a pre-booked basis, as I understand this.

I am now lined up to help out with a friend's layout at this small event. Knowing the venue and the fact that most (if now all) attending are likely to be vaccinated, gives me a bit more confidence, which I hope will be maintained as we get nearer the date of the event.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy

Small extra detail - I'd be happy to mask up as a visitor if I can dip in and out etc but reluctant as an exhibitor tied to a layout for 95% of the time

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I'd be happy to mask up as a visitor if I can dip in and out etc but reluctant as an exhibitor tied to a layout for 95% of the time

I get that and I'd feel the same. It's difficult to capture all eventualities within it but I've realised I'd missed something out of the last but one question - 'I am awaiting first vaccination' which I will now add. Don't worry about the one person who said they're against being vaccinated; they're also against going to a show in any of the timeframes given. :D

• Like 6

One thing to understand is the financial risk a club takes, at the moment I don't think it's worth it. A potential £25k loss for barely £5k profit if the goal post(currently on casters)get moved. These are the figures we are currently looking at in my club. Imagine a major CV rule change a few days before the doors open, this could cause enormous problems for a club. You then have the question of sufficient willing volunteers, plus a potential reluctance by traders to attend if the sums don't stake up. 

I'd be interested to know the thoughts from traders and show volunteers around attending shows at the moment.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I am happy to return to shows at any time but no masks and no timed entry nonsense are essential.  Unfortunately todays news that almost 2,000 travelling Scottish football fans have now tested positive I think may will put the damper on opening up public events.

• Informative/Useful 1

I am surprised that so many in favour a small show. I would have thought that a large show is safer if held in a venue with forced ventilation and there would be more scope for wide aisles. Unfortunately I would currently avoid the village hall type show.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

I am surprised that so many in favour a small show. I would have thought that a large show is safer if held in a venue with forced ventilation and there would be more scope for wide aisles. Unfortunately I would currently avoid the village hall type show.

There are varieties - a modern hall with lots of opening windows and doors may work well for a summer/early autumn show with small numbers?

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just reading the replies to this thread (I did the survey btw) shows just how much misinformation there is out there......

The jab is not licenced for anyone, not just 18 and under. Do some research!

It is an experimental drug. It is not a vaccine. (as clearly stated on the drug company’s own website). It is unlikely to be licenced before late 2023 / early 2024. All this information is freely available from the drug company(s) websites or the Governments website. 

Any place or event that would even consider discrimination to people that have not had a jab would be unacceptable. ....... Just my personal opinion you understand. 

• Funny 3

It's interesting to note that the vast majority of respondents are fully vaccinated or awaiting a 2nd dose, yet favour some sort of restrictions in the way that exhibitions are run.

In years past, crowds were happy to pack into places such as Warley at the height of cold/flu season. The risks for vaccinated adults and unvaccinated children are no worse but the effect of the pandemic and constant scary media messaging has certainly had an effect.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It’s interesting that sanitisation is a top requirement. Most of the recent research suggests that the risk of picking up COVID-19 from a surface is very low indeed. Mind you, I’ve still got my bottle of sanitiser in the car and sanitise as soon as I get into the car when I have been out and about so I’m as cautious as everyone else on this.

i shall be exhibiting my layout in October (all being well) and have no qualms about doing so. There are lots of little risks as we go about our daily activities; hopefully the vaccination progress has brought us close to the stage where COVID-19 is just another one of those little risks that we all accept.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

It's interesting to note that the vast majority of respondents are fully vaccinated or awaiting a 2nd dose, yet favour some sort of restrictions in the way that exhibitions are run.

In years past, crowds were happy to pack into places such as Warley at the height of cold/flu season. The risks for vaccinated adults and unvaccinated children are no worse but the effect of the pandemic and constant scary media messaging has certainly had an effect.

Indeed, i think its now people know the risks. Before it was just accepted therefore life went on. That is what will eventually happen here although it might take a very long time for it to happen. For me i cant wait to get back to shows and have already attended a few toyfairs were numbers were better than before in all of the cases and that's with certain restrictions in place that i know have put some off so i certainly think there is a clear demand for them to be back.

I also wouldn't worry about one persons experience of covid as its likely we will all have extremes of how severe it is (after all if you haven't been tested every 2-3 days how do you know you haven't had it and therefore unlikely to have severe illness) with every ones immune response likely to be different (in some cases minor differences to others which vary from death to no symptoms). The vaccines wont stop you getting it (although they will help), they just stop you have as severe reaction compared to not have it. Thats why we are seeing very low hospitalizations this time compared to 5-6 months ago.

Mike Bravo

• Like 3

I personally cant wait for shows to return, both as an exhibitor and a visitor.  The main thing I miss about shows is the social aspect, chatting to other exhibitors, visitor and traders.  Really miss that.

I don't miss the soap-challenged characters that appear at shows (on both sides of the layout/stand!)

My only concern is wearing a mask for long periods of time, I find I struggle a bit after 20 mins or so, but Im willing to give it a go!

Im my opinion the only people who should be refused entry are the anti-vaxxers and covid-deniers - they'll soon tell us who they are!  We all have our opinions on both subjects, that need to be kept to ourselves.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the opportunity of providing info that may enable some Shows and Traders to consider setting themselves up. Very often the smaller shows are the lifeblood of a local MRC and smaller Traders.

Life needs to go on next year when things will hopefully be a little more settled and organised.

Phil

• Agree 3

31 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

If there's a correlation between anti-vaxxers and people with poor personal hygiene and/or a propensity to large backpacks, then banning the unvaccinated might make the shows better for everyone ;) 

Don't you know that soap is part of a conspiracy by Big Pharma to control us? Wake up sheeple and do your own research (i.e. watch a dodgy Youtube video) !

At least it's now socially acceptable to wear a mask without being stared at. You can wear a VoC paint spraying mask to Warley, and not smell a thing from these people....

Joking aside, I suspect that anything to limit the numbers of people in a show will be a killer, as even a small reduction in the number of tickets sold will make the difference between a small surplus and a loss.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Two of the exhibitions that I might normally expect to attend involve fairly lengthy train journeys.  I'd be more put off by having to travel for several hours in a train than I would be by attending the exhibition.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 5