Model Rail Magazine - Digital Subscription

NFWEM57

• RMweb Premium

Just for information, if you subscribe to Model Rail Magazine digital edition, please be aware that you will not be able to view the magazine on a PC or Laptop,  only an iPhone/IPad or other mobile device.  Quite why this is I could not get an answer to.  They are refunding my subscription.  To me, commercially, it make no sense.  I was subscribing to the digital version to save trees.

• RMweb Gold

Have you looked at a Readly subscription? I have one and Model Rail is on there along with Hornby magazine and BRM. It has apps for iOS/Android and can be viewed from a browser too. Also has back issues available for most magazines. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Phil-Essex said:

Have you looked at a Readly subscription? I have one and Model Rail is on there along with Hornby magazine and BRM. It has apps for iOS/Android and can be viewed from a browser too. Also has back issues available for most magazines. 

Hi,

Thanks, i'll take a look, was unaware. I was using greatmagazines.co.uk to subscribe; clearly not..!

Edited by NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold

It's £7.99 a month however you get access to a lot of different magazines. My favourites are Model Rail, Hornby, BRM, RAIL & Steam Railway along with some railway bookazines. Lots of non rail content too.

No affiliation just a happy customer for the last couple of years. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil-Essex said:

Indeed it has issues of Model Rail back to January 2014, so plenty of bedtime reading for me. 

I notice BRM (a recent addition to Readly) also include a number of the 'bookazine' titles such as previous annuals and Layout Collections:-

image.png.ce3ec88fc36920d56d4485329a27de58.png

Edit: works better on a phone or tablet than a PC in my experience, although it is usable on a PC.

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NFWEM57 said:

Just for information, if you subscribe to Model Rail Magazine digital edition, please be aware that you will not be able to view the magazine on a PC or Laptop,  only an iPhone/IPad or other mobile device.  Quite why this is I could not get an answer to.  They are refunding my subscription.  To me, commercially, it make no sense.  I was subscribing to the digital version to save trees.

I've had a difficult time with MR and despite emails plus some kind help from contacts there I got no joy.

Your post has prompted me to ring Baeuer and yes - I can't use it on my laptop!  I certainly didn't get told that when I switched from paper to digital - like others - to be greener. I've now asked for a cancellation and refund pointing out I've been sold something I can't use!

Chris

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I've had a difficult time with MR and despite emails plus some kind help from contacts there I got no joy.

Your post has prompted me to ring Baeuer and yes - I can't use it on my laptop!  I certainly didn't get told that when I switched from paper to digital - like others - to be greener. I've now asked for a cancellation and refund pointing out I've been sold something I can't use!

Chris

I have been promised a refund so hopefully that's an end to it. Thanks to the original poster!

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I have been promised a refund so hopefully that's an end to it. Thanks to the original poster!

Well, I got a refund, but only a partial one. Unacceptable. Am challenging. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Well, I got a refund, but only a partial one. Unacceptable. Am challenging. 

I have been told I'll get the full refund but I'll keep an eye on my account...

• RMweb Premium

Also available at Zinio and Pocketmags, both of which can be accessed through a browser on a PC and also have Windows apps that allow downloading of mags.

I find it odd that a direct sub with Bauer doesn't work on a PC.

If you are a member of your local library you should get access to a digital library called Libby, although obviously you need to access your library account on-line to do so. Along with various books and magazines it includes "Model Rail", access to which is free for subscribers.

I use it on a tablet, but I am sure it can be accessed via a laptop or similar, if preferred.

That applies to West Sussex, but clearly other library services are involved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nile said:

Also available at Zinio and Pocketmags, both of which can be accessed through a browser on a PC and also have Windows apps that allow downloading of mags.

Yes, have signed up via Pocket Mags

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

For those with tablets, it's worth pointing out that MR is £2.99 / issue on its own app, but £3.99 on Pocketmags.

I use a PC for magazines and for a digital subscription from pocket mags it is £2.30 an issue vs. £1.85 for tablet/phone only.  And I get to read it on a 27" screen with all the simplicity of media handling and copying a PC affords. Each to their own.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Nile said:

Sounds like EXCELLENT reasons for buying a paper magazine. I won't be buying an iPad or IPhone any time soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Sounds like EXCELLENT reasons for buying a paper magazine. I won't be buying an iPad or IPhone any time soon.

Space and trees are the reason for digital for me!  A couple of years of subscriptions for 4 or 5 magazine builds into some hefty piles.  Got rid of mine, went digital and got a bargain on decades of back issues.  But, each to their own.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Space and trees are the reason for digital for me!  A couple of years of subscriptions for 4 or 5 magazine builds into some hefty piles.  Got rid of mine, went digital and got a bargain on decades of back issues.  But, each to their own.

I think you've missed my point.

Who in their right mind would want to set up a digital magazine to only be used on Mac products? The PC and Android market is huge.

It says a lot for digital magazines, if someone can determine by creed, what equipment someone can read it on. Also presumably stop access to someone who doesn't comply.

Paper never has that issue, although I concede that you can't easily translate the language on a printed version.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I think you've missed my point.

Who in their right mind would want to set up a digital magazine to only be used on Mac products? The PC and Android market is huge.

It says a lot for digital magazines, if someone can determine by creed, what equipment someone can read it on. Also presumably stop access to someone who doesn't comply.

Paper never has that issue, although I concede that you can't easily translate the language on a printed version.

Thank you for the clarification, yes, I agree.  Mac/apple products are now in the dark ages, expensive, too limited or restricted in functionality (cannot run databases such as MS Access on a Mac. They have a fanbase, just like the BBC Computer did..:lol:

10 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Thank you for the clarification, yes, I agree.  Mac/apple products are now in the dark ages, expensive, too limited or restricted in functionality (cannot run databases such as MS Access on a Mac. They have a fanbase, just like the BBC Computer did..:lol:

I have absolutely no Mac experience, I have never needed to develop any expertise being, until I retired, a PC professional. But, having said that, I believe it is the case that Mac products achieve a much better degree of integration than their PC equivalents and quite why anybody would want to use MS Access at all is beyond me . There are much better database products available for the PC.

• RMweb Premium

As a database practitioner, I see MS Access used in a variety of places in large businesses alongside SQL Server, Oracle, etc.  Although it is not perfect, It has its place and, as it comes bundled with MS Office, it is free.

• Funny 1