Model Rail Magazine - Digital Subscription

NFWEM57

• RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2021 at 11:49, Derekl said:

If you are a member of your local library you should get access to a digital library called Libby, although obviously you need to access your library account on-line to do so. Along with various books and magazines it includes "Model Rail", access to which is free for subscribers.

I use it on a tablet, but I am sure it can be accessed via a laptop or similar, if preferred.

That applies to West Sussex, but clearly other library services are involved.

That's how I access MR and a range of other railway mags. Works fine on PC, my local library offers couple of online routes, I use the Pressreader option ( pressreader.com )

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

That's how I access MR and a range of other railway mags. Works fine on PC, my local library offers couple of online routes, I use the Pressreader option ( pressreader.com )

That is very interesting and informative. I will investigate that..! Many thanks. 

• Agree 1

On 01/07/2021 at 11:49, Derekl said:

If you are a member of your local library you should get access to a digital library called Libby, although obviously you need to access your library account on-line to do so. Along with various books and magazines it includes "Model Rail", access to which is free for subscribers.

I use it on a tablet, but I am sure it can be accessed via a laptop or similar, if preferred.

That applies to West Sussex, but clearly other library services are involved.

I use Libby on my laptop. It also has three of this year's BRM plus American and Australian Model Railway magazines.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nile said:

If we all went down the library route there wouldn't be any magazines left to read. Someone has to pay for them.

Bit like if no one paid for RMWeb Gold access there wouldn't be any RMWeb to look at I guess :)

On 05/07/2021 at 12:15, Nile said:

If we all went down the library route there wouldn't be any magazines left to read. Someone has to pay for them.

Magazines fall under the Public Lending Right scheme, so they do get remunerated for digital loans as well as physical loans from libraries. And, of course, the advertising is still present in the library copies. Meanwhile, a digital copy has considerably lower manufacturing and distribution costs than a paper version.

So, while those read on the library app may not necessarily be the biggest source of revenue, they're still a net earner for the publisher. And they have the benefit of expanding the reach of the magazine to people who wouldn't necessarily buy a direct subscription. Similarly with commercial digital distributors such as Pressreader and Readly; they may not be the biggest earners for the publishers but they do significantly expand the readership, which in turn helps generate advertising revenue.

Overall, having multiple digital distribution methods is beneficial to the publisher, in the same way that having multiple physical distribution methods is beneficial. The publisher gets a bigger share of the revenue from their own app and direct-to-consumer paper subscriptions, but they still want their paper mags to be on the shelves in Smiths and other newsagents and in libraries, and they still want their digital mags to be on the digital equivalents. It's all about maximising readership by maximising accessibility.

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 01/07/2021 at 08:47, Nile said:

I find it odd that a direct sub with Bauer doesn't work on a PC.

Tablet devices are generally the e-reader of choice for most people, because their form factor allows you to treat it like a book - you can hold it in your hand, read it in your armchair, take it on the train, etc. A PC is a lot less flexible in that respect.

So Bauer have probably concluded that it's not worth their while to support a PC version directly, given that it will only be a minority of their digital readers who want it and those who do want it can always get the magazine via other digital channels such as Readly. From the publisher's perspective, you want to put the most work into the distribution methods that have the biggest potential readership, and let third party distributors handle the rest.

59 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Tablet devices are generally the e-reader of choice for most people, because their form factor allows you to treat it like a book - you can hold it in your hand, read it in your armchair, take it on the train, etc. A PC is a lot less flexible in that respect.

Not sure about taking it on the train, my tablet is wifi only.

When I'm reading I use a bookstand, a lot easier than holding it up all the time. 

Edited by PenrithBeacon

13 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Not sure about taking it on the train, my tablet is wifi only.

When I'm reading I use a bookstand, a lot easier than holding it up all the time. 

Most digital publications are downloaded to the device so that they can be read offline.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I subscribe to Model Rail via Pocketmags, am I entitled to the subscriber discount for ordering the 16XX Pannier?

Probably best to contact MR and ask them directly.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I subscribe to Model Rail via Pocketmags, am I entitled to the subscriber discount for ordering the 16XX Pannier?

Probably not, generally these sort of discounts only apply to direct customers - i.e. a subscription from Model Rail themselves and not a 3rd party.

I buy my magazines from my local newsagent and no discount is applicable, nor in the case of overseas customers, is any 'free gift' from Model Rail.

But with Railway Modeller, I do get any 'free gift' going.

So it depends on individual magazines policy or group policy in the case of Bauer.

• Thanks 1