Installing DC decoders in analogue locomotives

Richard Lukey

Welcome to the world of DCC control. First of all were are you located as this may influence the choice of DCC able bodied people to fit decoders for you.

The next question is how old are your existing locos etc   and are any of them labelled DCC READY, because if they are ready fitting decoders is relatively easy  and even some earlier models are not that hard , have a look at he following website -  http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/ -  fitting guides for most locos are available on there.

Any questions please ask as most of us posting on here  have been in your position of being new to DCC with model railways. 

It has to be said too, that not all old locos may be worth converting. Im just going through that process at the moment. Just waited 6 months for somebody to do the conversion only to tell me the magnets would need replacing which wasnt possible.

To be honest I dont find the available material on conversions to be that comprehensive. I dont think the listed site has been updated much and I find some links to be inactive. The same could be said of the section here on DCC conversions, but of course its all done on a voluntary basis.

Should you decide to try and fit your own decoders usually someone will come up with the specific help needed.

It's reasonably easy to do it yourself and is generally straight forward. Obviously if your loco has a DCC socket then that's the easiest conversion. If not then it's simply a case of taking the red/black wires to the track and the Orange/Grey wires to the motor and so you would use wired decoders in those cases.

Split chassis can be a little more of a challenge but can be done but may require some hole drilling and tapping and insulating motor connections.

There are guides but the basic principles remain for all locomotives and it sounds like you are not looking for fancy lights, which makes it simpler.

Edited by meil