Griffin Road 2mm somewhere in the north west

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

Well here is Griffin Road on the New RMweb...Some of you may remember me from the original forum but if not here is a quick run down of the history of Griffin Road.

I purchased Griffin Road in early 2008 with the intentions of bringing it back to its former exhibition standard and i also wanted to get on the exhibition scene... First impressions were well 'Run down' 'tired' and in need of restoration especially the scenic side of things, as i had alot of time on my hands last year (10 months infact) as i was recovering from a serious motorcycle crash that happend in Feb 08, but that is another story....

Photos can be found on my fotopic site in the 'under construction' section this will give you a general idea of what i was working with in the beginning.

Basically Griffin Road is my interpretation or BR in the north west pre & post privatisation circa 1990 - 1999. With Semaphores, loco hauled Regional Railways Club Trains and various DMU's ill let you make your mind up......Blackpool North or Southport, ok with some freight thrown in too...

Here's a few photo's to refresh your memories...

Cheers

Anthony

post-6838-1256688821593_thumb.jpg

post-6838-1256688907077_thumb.jpg

post-6838-1256688945367_thumb.jpg

post-6838-12566890393878_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I am currently in the planning stages of extending Griffin Road at the station end......watch this space for more details and updates.

Also as highly requested last year rolleyes.gif yes i will be shortly posting a track plan of the layout, also details of the extension soon to be added...longer platforms, carriage wash facility and run round loops.....

Cheers, Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I like the look of this,smile.gif you can't be a nice North West terminus.wink.gif The Regional Railways livery did looked good, you could always add an old NSE mk2 into a rake. Looking forwards to see how you go with the extension.

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Premium

Hi Anthony,

I like the look of this,smile.gif you can't be a nice North West terminus.wink.gif The Regional Railways livery did looked good, you could always add an old NSE mk2 into a rake. Looking forwards to see how you go with the extension.

Cheers Peter,

Peter, thank you for the comments, as for the NSE stock well i do have a rake just not got round to poping pics on yet. They need abit of work carrying out on them, also i have another rake of ex NSE mk 2's, these were the one's with red band painted a lighter shade of blue, interesting rake as when they were transfered from the Waterloo - Exeter trains 92 onwards they were sort of in the middle - not NSE or Regional Railways. They are on my work bench being made into proper mk2's (shell vents, correct underframe detail and correct corridor ends with rubbing plates)

Cheers, Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you've made the transtion over to here.

Looking forward to seeing any progress especially as your attending Churchrail At Warwick next year (Shameless Plug)

Keep up the Good Work

Mark

Hello Mark

A Shameless plug indeed laugh.gif I am looking forward to attending the exhibition as Griffin Road's last outing was in March 09 and lots of extreamly good feedback was received over the 2 day exhibition, i was so happy that all the hard work time and effort that i put in paid off with great comments, comments not just about the layout but the rolling stock aswell..

I am hopeing to make a start soon on the extension, i have not started butchering anything yet blink.gif as i want to make sure i get all the planning right 1st, once i get started it should not take me long but then again with only 4 months apx till the exhibition i am thinking will it be a wise move to wait untill after or whether to make a start and show it as a work in progress...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mate,

just had a look at your fotopic site your going to be busy if you start the Three spires layout that'll be a great layout it's gong to be set around the time my dad worked the Three spires and bedlam lane.

If you ever need a spare pair of hands mate you've got my number !!

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mate,

just had a look at your fotopic site your going to be busy if you start the Three spires layout that'll be a great layout it's gong to be set around the time my dad worked the Three spires and bedlam lane.

If you ever need a spare pair of hands mate you've got my number !!

Colin

Hi Colin, Well originaly is was going to do Stafford in 2mm but after much hard thought i have decided to model a little closure to home and a place that i remember very well as a young boy - and with the Dapol class 58's on the horizon........cool.gif

Im looking at modeling Three spires as it was in the early to late 80's befour the single slip was removed, i am lucky enough to have the original track plan and quite a few photographs but if you or your fahter has any then i would be realy greatful if i could have a copy of them, more research is needed befour i make a start especialy a little more information on Bedlam Lane crossing inc the white wooden crossing keepers cabin, could do with a nice photo of that...

A website i have been using to gahter some of my info is www.derbysulzers.com/threespires.html have a look i bet it will bring back alot of memories for you it did for me, and also if i model up to the later end of the 80's i can run passenger as the line re-opend to passenger in 87 and Bedworth station re-opened in 88 and i was there with my dad on the official opening day of the new Bedworth station and had a trip to Coventry and back on Tyseley's 116 / 117?? The one that was painted up in GWR choc & cream God i was only 6 then!!! Good job my dad also had an interest in the railway back then but never did get a photograph but did get a MIDLINE badge and a baloon......id love to know where i put that badge angry.gif

Cheers

Anthony, oh by the way i shall be venturing into the worlds of DCC n gauge with this one

• RMweb Gold

Sadly mate we never managed to keep anything from Three spires or Bedlam boxes its always the same you think they'll be there for a long time and before you know it they're gone although three spires was a bit premature (arson)!! I do remember my last visit into that box the whole box had loads of train pictures and photo's on all the walls and the panel was more like an upright piano !!

The website you mentioned is brilliant I've looked at it a few times for pics of Coundon road .

• RMweb Premium

Hi Anthony the layouts looking good cool.gif

Ive not long changed to DCC, Only wished I did it soonerblink.gif

Keep us updated mate

Porkie

I shall be looking at having the Gaugemaster Prodogy for my new project, used one many a time, very simple to use and i like it. I also hope the sounds chips take off a little more in 2mm.

• RMweb Premium

Not much layout work done recently but have been working on a few loco's

47033 RFD - The Royal Logistic Corps

47053 RFD - Dollands Moor International

47060 Speedlink - Halewood Silver Jubilee 1988

47193 Petroleum - Lucinidae

47033 & 053 are not realy for Griffin Road but thought i would show them off anyway, originally both started life as 47306, but with re-numbering, etched plates and depot plaques fitted also MU boxes they look the part now, these will eventually will be put to work on intermodals and such like on my Westford WCML layout....

47060 & 193 originally started life as original Farish 47231 shells, but with a slight rubbing down, lower and upper grey resprayed and black doors and engine room windows painted black, transfered up also etched plates, arrows, depot plaques and headlights fitted they also will be put to good use now on Griffin road also Westford, 47060 for engineers & Freighliner workings and 193 for tanks and also the odd drag wink.gif

post-6838-1258065373164_thumb.jpg

post-6838-12580653810189_thumb.jpg

post-6838-12580653922028_thumb.jpg

Archived