New Scale, new micro.

On 01/07/2021 at 09:25, The Bandit said:

Interesting to see a new start/new scale documented from the very beginning. Hope you continue to document progress each step of the way and enjoy your new venture.

I do hope so too.

Of course it helps if the rail follows the lines on the sleepers......oh well.

Edited by norfolknun

Thank you Jim.

I have learned to write all the mistakes and rectifications in a small book......just trying to remember where that is now.

The other bonus is that when i am asked...''How much did that lot cost''?......the answer, 'very little'' always means no earache!

• Like 1

This is a really interesting thread, especially as yesterday, a secondhand Sentinel arrived in the post from Hattons. I've always worked in OO until now The original plan was to acquire further bits on an 'as and when' basis, but I'm absolutely captivated by the size and weight of the thing, so doubt I'll be able to wait that long! Looking forwards to watching it develop.

• Like 1

Update

Household and outside work has been the first order this week but have now completed the trackwork and wiring.

Now to paint and start what little ballasting i will do.

Going to be called Fleet Siding.
Fleet in Norfolk means ''shallow''.

It will represent a siding off a branch line...inspiration came from one in a series of You Tube videos tracing what remains of redundant  branch and main lines.

A platform where agricultural produce is brought from farms to be loaded;  an Agricultural Engineers and Suppliers, so machinery, fertilizer, lime, timber et al. inwards.

Motive power is a Dapol Sentinel (excellent deal from my local model shop....better than on line).

The two wagons are my first attempts at card models inspired by Jim Read.....they are not brilliant by any means but they suit me and the satisfaction of making them is a bonus. Still need detail and paints.

Sidings micro 1.JPG

card wagons.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

'Not brilliant'? Who are you kidding? Those wagons look fantastic! You should be well chuffed. The wee Sentinels are great, aren't they? I already have one for my future O gauge micro...whenever that may be! 

Track is looking great so far, too. :good_mini:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrew D said:

'Not brilliant'? Who are you kidding? Those wagons look fantastic! You should be well chuffed. The wee Sentinels are great, aren't they? I already have one for my future O gauge micro...whenever that may be! 

Track is looking great so far, too. :good_mini:

Thanks Andrew. Yes....Sentinels will be useful in many East Anglian micros

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I can only echo the other comments.....that looks great.

It must be really satisfying to be able to pretty much make it all yourself.

I'm afraid I am a slave to buying RTR - but this is really inspirational. I will watch with interest.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

I can only echo the other comments.....that looks great.

It must be really satisfying to be able to pretty much make it all yourself.

I'm afraid I am a slave to buying RTR - but this is really inspirational. I will watch with interest.

Regards,

James

James, thank you....and you can do it!

I get my card from picture framers......i get enough for maybe 30 wagons and accessories for £3.

My first card efforts were lineside huts.....it really does bring some enjoyment .

Plus, age , eyesight , shaky hands don't help.....but have a go please

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 09:58, JimRead said:

Hello Jeremy,

Hope you don't mind me breaking into your thread with some info for @jamest

Hello James,

Some wagons under construction here:

SampleWagons.jpg.3980cd30e6d4f05fb0093c1284509d0f.jpg

The flat one ended up as the above after finding the slurry tank in the GANSG archive it's from 1910 (and looks it)

I do some how to PDF's if you or anyone else would like them please send me a nice message, I ignore one line phone speak demands, with your email address and I will gladly send them to you.

Cheers - Jim

Share away Jim...no problem

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work. With a 48” x 16” baseboard it would be outside the 4 square feet limit of a micro layout. But once you subtract the area taken up by the traverser, I bet it comes in at under. I hope so, because I’d love to see the layout’s progress in the Micro Model Railway Dispatch e-magazine.

Ian

• Like 2

With respect Ian - and I must make it clear I greatly admire your layouts and new emag - there are other areas, both on the internet and in print, where the four square feet rule is exceeded. Even the Microlayout design gallery includes the word 'usually' in the definition.

• Like 1

I agree Jim - there has to be parameters to work within or else anything goes. Ian and yourself as exponents of the ‘true’ micro layout are able to prove to those without large spaces, large wallets (or both) that small layouts enable anyone to build and operate a model railway, thus encouraging new blood to the hobby. Good luck with your e-mag venture Ian.

On 06/08/2021 at 22:41, Ian Holmes said:

Nice work. With a 48” x 16” baseboard it would be outside the 4 square feet limit of a micro layout. But once you subtract the area taken up by the traverser, I bet it comes in at under. I hope so, because I’d love to see the layout’s progress in the Micro Model Railway Dispatch e-magazine.

Ian

Thank you Ian.....I would be happy to do that. 
Slow progress at the moment...but I will get there, and yes, take the traverser out and it would be acceptable.

Hello people.

I did not set out to create an actual micro as such...this is my attempt at making a small O gauge layout and the size was arbitary.
My objectives were to practice new skills......and enjoy myself.

Please don't let us argue micro sizes on this thread.....

Edited by norfolknun
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, norfolknun said:

Thank you Ian.....I would be happy to do that. 
Slow progress at the moment...but I will get there, and yes, take the traverser out and it would be acceptable.

Progress shots are good. Progress shots would be great in The Dispatch 

Ian

On 11/08/2021 at 15:13, norfolknun said:

Some this week then.

Can you take them from here or if you give me an email addy i can send them

Send the pictures and a bit of background information about it to  MMRDeditor@gmail.com

Ian

Domestic jobs have taken prime time this week or so.

The two loading platforms made; buffers made; bridge completed except for weathering.

I have purposley left a break in the larger platfom so that I can have different infil sections with different loads according to the farming season.

Planned building is shown by the red box; the coal area by the silver tin.

The wagon with the shiny Allis Chalmers tractor on is an almost complete card model.
The coupling hooks I have made from tin from lids, the coupling hooks from iron wire wrapped around screw shanks as per Mr Read. A visit to some charity shops tomorrow will hopefully supply chains for holding the tractor down
BEWARE>>>THE COUPLINGS ARE SHARP. NOT FOR LAYOUTS NEAR CHILDREN......or drunken adults I suppose

The M&GN wagon is a bit of a cock up.....happy to admit it. I failed to get the card axle box set up to work, so I used a pair of W frames someone gave me. They are to large.....so nex t time I will, show you how I am going to cheat

micro begin buildingd.JPG

plans for bldgs.JPG

tractor wagon.JPG

loading bays.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I assume from the colour of your wagons before painting that you have coated them with shellac? I purchased a bottle on line a while ago - was gobsmacked when it arrived via Royal Mail (I thought they didn't transport liquids?!)

I am intrigued by your 'drop in' section on the platform - will follow with interest, as this looks a very interesting exposition into O gauge (and my late father modelled in that scale).

Steve S